Should the IPL players be paid according to their performances ?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
This, i believe would make it easier for the likes of Vijay Mallya to control his team and for the franchisees to manage their non-performing assets as well.

What views do the members of Planetcricket have on this ?

Personally , i believe yes.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
After 3 years they will be paid as per performance. Just say guys got lucky this time.

shubhrayu

International Coach
Yeah obviously.they have to be paid according to their performance.Because guys like Ganguly whose performance level is 0 take much cash and Guys like Shaun Marsh are not that highly paid.I think ganguly does'nt even deserve a penny.

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
For the inaugural season, the players are being paid on reputation more than anything else. Their salaries might change, according to their performance, once the contract expires.

Yeah obviously.they have to be paid according to their performance.Because guys like Ganguly whose performance level is 0 take much cash and Guys like Shaun Marsh are not that highly paid.I think ganguly does'nt even deserve a penny.
He won them 2 matches. His form with the bat hasn't been good but the non performance of the whole team has affected him. His performance in the IPL is not worth the million dollars but then he's an icon player.

Last edited:

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
well i recently read like rajasthan royals refused to play(last match which they won) because of the bomb blast top players like shane warne smith watson were not willing to play than the BCCI chairman Mr.sharad himself left and tried to make them play but they refused still
Mr.modi tried to but failed

then Mr.sharad did a great thing he made a statement or a warning if the leave IPL they will not be paid even a penny and no further entry in matches

and guess all players played S#@

lol all players are so hungry for money:D

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
He won them 2 matches. His form with the bat hasn't been good but the non performance of the whole team has affected him. His performance in the IPL is not worth the million dollars but then he's an icon player.

Too true. I don't think half as many people would go to watch Kolkata at Eden Gardens if Ganguly wasn't playing.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I disagree. This could be extended to the international arena too, where they have contracts, and it would still be a bad idea. The only difference is that the contract amounts are well publicized for the IPL whereas you'd have to do a bit of digging to find the same values for the Indian national team.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think yes. In the long run the players will get what they deserve naturally.

But in the short term, on a match-to-match basis, paying by performance is a very tricky system and might cause a few problems with team spirit and bonding.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Another things is, the franchisees are shelling out loads to those they have in their team.
Delhi have made the most of Glenn McGrath,but other franchisees have been in a spot of bother as to which foreign player shuld play.
Kolkata has many problems.They have so many in their ranks whom they are paying,but these players are not actually featuring in any match.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
If you guys think Ganguly, Laxman, Kallis, Yuvraj, Boucher and Dravid have been poor. What has Ishant done for 960 Million paycheck?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
In some sense players are always paid for performance. An in form player should expect to play more matches than an out-of-form player; so he gets more match fees. Similarly, international players are paid tour fees and the team that wins a tournament collects prize money. Players that make a name for themselves get better sponsorship deals as their value increases.

Beyond this is what we're really talking about, the retainer. Pretty much any team, international or domestic, that pays a retainer has paid more to the players it deems to be of the most worth. Cricket Australia uses a ratings system based on the past year's performance. Each contracted player is ranked and paid accordingly, with the lowest player receiving a nominal base payment. Note that players are paid not on current form, but on past form.

In the IPL, a number of players were auctioned, thus their value is influenced greatly by market demand, something that doesn't really affect international cricketers. Nevertheless, that market demand is based at least in part on past performance and projected output. A lot of players weren't auctioned, mind you. Most of the Indian players and some late selections such as Marsh and Pomersbach were picked up differently. There are also a few who were called in only as fill-ins. How these contracts work, I can't say. Mohali might yet have to recontract Marsh for 500k.

Retainers are what is enticing. Noone likes an uncertain income more than a steady one. You can't offer a retainer and then give the fine print saying you intend to dock pay for every duck and dropped catch; that defeats the purpose and really isn't a retainer. By all means give a performance bonus, but in a domestic league, market demand can be expected to reward players come re-signing time, where outside interest will again influence what a player is paid.

Users who are viewing this thread