Should their be player rating for wicketkeepers?

Should their be player rating for wicketkeepers?

• Yes

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Big_Boss

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Their's ICC Player Rating for Batsmans, Bowlers, and Allrounders - But not for Wicketkeepers? Since theirs less number of recognised International Wicketkeepers, shouldn't their be Top 3 Wicketkeeper's rating system? :help

Yes, Thats a good idea, do you mean just purley on keeping or batting?

A Wicketkeeper is suppose to be excellent at keeping and good at batting, so both, like the great Adam Gilchrist, Kumara Sangakkara, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, etc...

I agree with that wholeheartedly! Wicketkeeping is as special an area as bowling and batting is! Batting should however be coupled with wicketkeeping to calculate how great a wicketkeeper is! He should be good at keeping as well as batting!

Great idea! I always thought of it! Great minds think alike, ay? :cool:

The top 3 boss mentiond: Gilchrist, Sangakkara, and Dhoni, with Kamran Akmal a close 4th with his good string of performances.

There are some very talented keepers at the moment. It would be pretty close I would say. They should definatly do that.

Gilchrist, Sangakara, McCullum, Dhoni, Akmal have been in fantastic form lately (well Gilchrist not so much recently but over the last year fantastic). Even Jones and Boucher arn't too bad. Oh and that New West Indies fella Ramdin was it? He isn't bad.

Last edited:
This is how the rating would look like for the Wicketkeeper's Top 3

:) - I made it
\/
\/
\/

Attachments

• Wicketkeeper.JPG
    Wicketkeeper.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 49
But Big Boss what points are they on? Or did you just make up the placings without basing it on batting rankings.

I guess you could just look down the batting rankings and pull out the keepers.

Infact heres the order of the keepers based on batting only:

Test:
1. Adam Gilchrist (11th) AUS - 714
2. Kumar Sangakkara (19th) SL - 676
3. Tatenda Taibu (43rd) ZIM - 516
4. Brendon McCullum (52nd) NZ - 485
5. Geraint Jones (58th) ENG - 448
6. Mark Boucher (60th) SA - 431
7. Kamran Akmal (61st) PAK - 422
8. Denesh Ramdin (63rd) WI - 416
9. Khaled Masud (85th) BAN - 331
10. Mahendra Dhoni (92nd) IND - 320

LOL taibu at 3. Dhoni way down. But hes new so thats why.

Would it be mainly based on batting? You could have a great keeper, e.g. Chris Read, and Geraint Jones, who isnt as good, but can bat, who would be higher?

For ODI's:

1. Adam Gilchrist (2nd) AUS - 782
2. Kumar Sangakkara (12th) SL - 698
3. Mahendra Dhoni (23rd) IND - 663
4. Mark Boucher (44th) SA - 550
5. Brendon McCullum (57th) NZ - 501
6. Geraint Jones (63rd) ENG - 486
7. Tatenda Taibu (67th) ZIM - 479
8. Khaled Masud (68th) BAN - 464
9. Kamran Akmal (91st) PAK - 374
10. No West Indies player in top 100

All the Keepers are pretty good really with the gloves. I mean theres not much between most of them anyway.

Khaled Masud is better than Dhonis in tests :D
Taibu is better than Boucher :D
Go Bangla and Zimbabwe!!

Drewska said:
Would it be mainly based on batting? You could have a great keeper, e.g. Chris Read, and Geraint Jones, who isnt as good, but can bat, who would be higher?
Well, first up, what kind of statistics would you use to analyse good keeping?

Obviously, the ones that count are catches, stumpings and byes conceded.

You could stack the catches up against the number of missed or dropped chances, the number of stumpings perhaps against the number of times the batsman got back safe and the number of byes conceded against the number of deliveries that end up safe and sound in the keeper's gloves.

I don't know how you would weight that for the pedigree of your opposition and the like, but I do think you would have to have it so that keeping and batting are weighted equally, 50-50. That would be tricky, because keeping is about minimising error, precision. Batting is about accumulation, aggregates, maximisation. You would possibly have to award points for simply keeping a number of balls correctly, so you could subtract points for fumbling. Another method, you could calculate the keeper's net worth, take his batting and subtract all the byes and any runs a batsman scores after being let go by a lost chance to the keeper. By this method, Parthiv Patel would have had an ugly rating, perhaps even negative!

So the question, who would be higher? I think Geraint Jones' batting as well as his keeping leave something to be desired. He is handy, but not really a notable performer in either position. On the other hand, from what I hear, Chris Read is a very noteworthy keeper and not really that shameful a batsman. Based on this, I think the ratings would favour Read.

Users who are viewing this thread