Slip Catching Observations

naznaz00

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've seen it noted on various posts that catches are only taken by the slips in certain ways - ie. a one-handed dive to the left or right. People obviously ask for a mod to modify this, and I have a few theories if anyone's interested.

1/ Modding may not be easy for this feature. That the catches are all the same indicated that a statistical probability has been triggered by the combination of batsman and bowler moves, and of course confidence, resulting in a decided outcome with an associated decided outcome. Ie, Gough bowls to lara, and the formula in the game results in outcome number 18, an inside edge to the wicket keepers left.

2/ To modify the animations would be simple enough with access to the uncompressed files, but would still result in identicle catches, with only a few slots for an 'out' animation available obtained as a result of the formulae.

3/ The only variation to this forumla which might be utilisable to mods I believe comes in the separate formula (or section of) taking into account the batsman's catching ability. At present there seem to be two possible outcomes for a catch 'threat' situation, being 'out' and 'not out' sensibly enough. [Cont nxt post.]

naznaz00 said:
At present there seem to be two possible outcomes for a catch 'threat' situation, being 'out' and 'not out' sensibly enough. [Cont nxt post.]

This will trigger a random roll, with say a 70% chance triggering 'out' and 30% 'not out'.

4/ To introduce a greater variation in catches and missed catches these two percentaged outcomes should be split into a greater number of outcomes, still determined by percentage. For example, instead of a 70/30 yes/no split, a 35/35/7.5/7.5 split could be introduced, now giving the potential for animations for catches and drops at two different heights.

5/ The only other thiong I can defer from the game is that the batsmans score for catching ability will likely act as a modifier in the catching formula. For example, all players will have a baseline catching chance of say, 17.5% xC. 'C' is the batsman's catching stat, increasing his chance of a catch as it multiplies the catch percentage.

This has just been speculation of course - I but I think logical speculation, which of course can only be confirmed or disproved by getting into the config files for the game. However, this is how I would make the game work, and I suspect this is at least in the same ballpark as the method codemasters chose. I hope this helps someone more experienced at modding than I am once we break those compressed Bats.

Naz

Yeah ..... whatever. all thats well and good but you can either make the patch or you cannot make the patch. And I care more for EA Cricket 2005 and mods for it.

What'd you say if you asked for a beer and I explained the entire beer distillation process and started by explaining how ethanol is made and its chemical symbols....
Sheesh

fanirama said:
Yeah ..... whatever. all thats well and good but you can either make the patch or you cannot make the patch. And I care more for EA Cricket 2005 and mods for it.

What'd you say if you asked for a beer and I explained the entire beer distillation process and started by explaining how ethanol is made and its chemical symbols....
Sheesh
This post gave me a good laugh it is very true thanks

Just send this message to Codies, if they ever work on a patch it will be easier for them...Mabye some pros can try here though

i have never seen a slip or keeper take a regulation catch with no diving. the dives look great but sometimes the keeper does a huge dive to catch the ball when the first slip would have taken an easy one at the waist

Users who are viewing this thread