So how do you play this?

BAW845_Matt

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Right. I've had this game for a couple of weeks now. I've read loads of posts on this forum about how to bat/bowl. I've downloaded some patches from this website (though mainly to change teams rather than the playing style).

Most of the matches I've played are Eng v USA, mostly Twenty20 because they are the only ones I can finish without throwing something at the PC. So far - after 2 weeks of playing - my record is 13-8 (and 5 of those were extras) off 20 overs. I can't hit boundries and I rarely get more than a single. The USA then knocked 14 off me in 1.3 overs.

I am on the verge of throwing it in the bin and playing Brian Lara which seems to be actually playable.

All the advice I've read on here just says "time it right" and "vary your bowling speed" and so forth. Which is all well and good but I don't know what speeds to aim for, where to bowl, when to start my shot, which one to select - ANYTHING! All I'm doing is guessing and hoping something happens. Which is basically never does.

So - please - tell me what to do. Right from the basics. What shot do I play against a ball bowled right at my feet? What balls do I defend against? How do I know which keys to press against a spinner? Anything. Because this is just getting silly now.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
ummm you showld know what kinda of shot to play if you watch cricket like iff its on the offside use an offside shot etc!!!

BAW845_Matt

School Cricketer
That's my point - that doesn't really give me any help on how to play. I've been trying in the nets as well as in matches and I can never get the ball to go very far - it's always fielded by the wicket keeper, one of the slips or someone else close in. And when I do get it away it's always right at a fielder so I still can't run.

D

Deleted member 13648

Read the manual, that might help a little bit

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
the manual is not very useful, it gives you tips and helps you but i think thats only for hard modes.

For a new-bie, i suggest playing domestic games, in easy level. Try English county, and try test matches. 20-20 are of no use if u have no clue how to play.

Don't try to whack the bowlers from the word go, instead just defend, and make sure u don't lose the wicket. If the ball in outside off, or anywhere except the line, leave it. Slowly you'll get the hang of it.

Mierosoft

School Cricketer
An idea may be to create some perfect players in create a player mode, then try batting. Remember not to press the buttons to early, unless you are coming down the wicket. Try doing on-drives (down and right) because you are very rarely out to those unless you time it horribly. Don't play too many back foot shots unless they pitch it very short.

Think about realistic timing, when the batsman would need to swing if they wanted to hit the ball, i find with the patch im using the timing seems quite realistic

James_W

Club Cricketer
For front foot shots, press the key as the ball hits the ground. Backfoot shots I tend to press the key just before the ball pitched, and for advance shots I press the key as soon as the ball leaves the bowlers hand, it works very well.

cpt crash

Club Cricketer
It gets no better....

I agree with you BAW. I have had this game for 14 months now and tried just about every patch created. I mostly play test matches because the ODI's result in the big vein in my head bulging too much.

I have concluded that batting is virually impossible. My highest score is about 300 (using a patch). Dont bother with the nets either, that will just lull you into a sense of false security.

The other frustration is that I have to play on hard level otherwise I can bowl the CPU out for about 30 every time. Even on hard level I can get them out for less than 200, 95% of the time. As a result I havent ever got into the 4th day of a test match.

BAW845_Matt

School Cricketer
Agreed. Given up on EAC. Got Brian Lara instead. It's MUCH better; I can get runs, bowl sides out and critically, it's FUN! Who knows, I might just even win match on it soon. :upray

Users who are viewing this thread