So.... just how do u bowl the AI out in a test match?

Dougie1

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
i am on xbox360 - patch 2.5 - pro level

up to now have only ever played t20s against the ai

thought id try a test match against ai - me england, ai australia

first innings australia 275/10 england 332/10 (simulated)

its now day 4 and ive bowled 113 overs and only taken 4 wickets in the second innings (there is no degradation in the pitch either)

i vary line and length, delivery type, pace etc but am really struggling (rogers currently 213 not out)

australia on 400/4

am i missing something?

Last edited:
Just bowl middle stump yorkers every ball and wait for them to screw up and miss for LBW/bowled or hole out to mid on/off. Nothing more to it than that really, lifelike tactics don't help at all... The AI throws its wickets away in limited overs games (particularly T20) and is just a snoozefest in FC/Test.

I've not played this game in weeks, mainly due to being so bored with the bowling and fed up with the stupid CPU field placings when batting. Maybe the final 'patch 3' will rectify these... Right now I have no desire to play DBC instead of FIFA.

jeezo - middle stump yorkers - is that the key?

couldn't agree more Madman - test bowling is TEDIOUS!!

pass the oxygen!

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't say it's the 'key', but it's just the most effective method I've used so far because setting up edges isn't a thing so anything not aimed at the stumps is a wasted delivery vs the CPU and they don't seem to attack the yorker length deliveries as effectively as good length.

I suggest just simulating the innings where you're bowling to be honest.

Well, I wouldn't say it's the 'key', but it's just the most effective method I've used so far because setting up edges isn't a thing so anything not aimed at the stumps is a wasted delivery vs the CPU and they don't seem to attack the yorker length deliveries as effectively as good length.

I suggest just simulating the innings where you're bowling to be honest.

...............but its the bowling i like! (or used to!) - i normally simulate the batting

UPDATE - bowled continuous yorkers at middle stump - australia (ai) out 484/10 at 4 PM on day 4 - pretty boring way to bowl tho!!

simulated england second innings batting - england win by 1 wicket - 428/9 at 3:25 PM on day 5!!!

Last edited:
Everything in regards to bowling BA have done right; the execution is excellent. Just like batting a few elements need to come together. The balance has to be found between risk and reward; we would also be complaining if we get AI out for under 80 runs everytime: ala Ashes 09 and 10

...............but its the bowling i like! (or used to!) - i normally simulate the batting
Ideally I'd be in the same boat - in real life I was always more of a bowler and understand/enjoy that side of the sport more when watching and playing cricket.

The bowling controls are nicely implemented and the physics are good, it's the AI that lets the bowling experience down really. The AI in all aspects is probably the weakest part of the game.

Everything in regards to bowling BA have done right; the execution is excellent. Just like batting a few elements need to come together. The balance has to be found between risk and reward; we would also be complaining if we get AI out for under 80 runs everytime: ala Ashes 09 and 10

Completely agree, the bowling input system is great, you need to get into rhythm to bowl well in real life and with this system it's the same, just with your thumb. To answer you Dutch yes I have got further with what I've been testing and will post shortly in the "possible solution for edges thread" just got to go and do a couple of real life things. This should help you too Dougie1. I have definitely improved the whole bowling experience from my point of view and hopefully it will others.

Completely agree, the bowling input system is great, you need to get into rhythm to bowl well in real life and with this system it's the same, just with your thumb. To answer you Dutch yes I have got further with what I've been testing and will post shortly in the "possible solution for edges thread" just got to go and do a couple of real life things. This should help you too Dougie1. I have definitely improved the whole bowling experience from my point of view and hopefully it will others.
Great to hear but sorely dissapointed that you place real life things so highly! :p

i am on xbox360 - patch 2.5 - pro level

up to now have only ever played t20s against the ai

thought id try a test match against ai - me england, ai australia

first innings australia 275/10 england 332/10 (simulated)

its now day 4 and ive bowled 113 overs and only taken 4 wickets in the second innings (there is no degradation in the pitch either)

i vary line and length, delivery type, pace etc but am really struggling (rogers currently 213 not out)

australia on 400/4

am i missing something?
You make it sound as if you're entitled to wickets. Just look at the current PAK/AUS test match for example. Scores of 400/4 are not uncommon and not every test match ends with a result.

Yeah the bowling isn't all that good or fun. I was playing as Australia against the combined campuses team who have a batting rating about 1.5 stars and they belted the crap out of me playing Mitchell Johnson like he was a park cricketer, and that was just on pro I can't imagine how bad they would have destroyed me on higher difficulties.

It's not very fun to bowl every ball as a yorker or stack the leg side and bowl short. It doesn't seem like bowling a line and length is rewarding in this game. I think the bowling is a let down in all honesty especially spin bowling which doesn't seem to spin at all, at best you can get it to straighten.

I agree that bowling is getting very boring. The AI has to make silly slogs to get out in test match. Also the pitch doesnt deteriorate. The ball doesnt spin at all whatever the pitch type is. The ball swings and spins the same way in 80th over like in 1st over. The pitch also looks the same way throughout the test match.

I hope [HASHTAG]#dbc14[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#rosstheboss[/HASHTAG] is aware of this situation.

I don't know about you guys but as far as I have played this game, 'legend' difficulty makes the game THE MOST realistic. It's true that you can't bowl out the other side every time, as is the case in real. But I do agree that there is some sort of average-based system which makes the AI to score runs regardless of the skill level of the team. It's true that a team full of batsmen with zero skills may thrash the team with fully skilled bowlers, and I would like @BigAntStudios to have a look at it. But otherwise, the game does become more realistic when you play it on 'legend'.

I'm a little bit shocked by this thread, to be honest. Judging by my own experience with the game, as well as reports I've read from users of this forum, this game rewards you for playing it in the most realistic way possible. That's not to say that there aren't ways to exploit the system (like bowling yorkers every ball, which, like most exploits in videogames, seems boring as hell to me and I don't know why people would bother), but if you want to have an immersive cricket experience, you can successfully do that and have a great time.

First tip I would give is one I picked up from someone on here: use the information given to you about the batsman. If they have a weakness with the back foot or flat bat shots, bowl more short stuff to them. If they have a weakness with the front foot, bowl fuller. It's so satisfying when you are peppering a guy who has a weakness with the short ball with bouncers and he ends up smacking one straight to a fielder or edging to the keeper. Or when you bowl a couple outswingers at someone who has a front foot weakness then swing one back in and get him LBW. Other than that, the way I approach the bowling is just as I would if I were lucky enough to play pro cricket in real life. Yes, to some extent I base what I bowl on the weakness of the batsman (like all professional bowlers do) but, particularly in a Test match, where I typically aim to bowl is where every world class bowler in the world typically aims to bowl: around a good length, on or outside off stump. I'll put about 70% of the balls there (usually swinging/cutting them away, then bringing one back into batsman) and the rest, depending on the batsman, will be occasional full balls on the stumps to try and get them LBW or bowled, or bouncers. Sometimes you go a while without getting a wicket, and it starts to get frustrating (just like in real life, of course) but often they'll struggle to score if you remain patient and eventually you'll get that wicket you've been searching for. I mostly play on Pro and I've never had a side make more than 400 against me.

This is turning into a bit of a rant but let me just share the best experience I've ever had bowling. It was in a Shield match in career mode. I was bowling to Philip Hughes who had made a double hundred against us (Bushrangers) in the first innings. There was a big crack on the pitch just outside his off stump (he's a left hander) running down half the pitch and so I decided I'd have a go at bowling around the wicket to see if the ball would misbehave if I could land it on the crack. (I'd seen the ball seam before from what I think were cutters but never seen anything come off cracks at this point.) To my delight it totally worked. I would bowl either inswingers or outswingers and whenever I managed to get it on the crack the ball would, if it was an inswinger, pitch then straighten, or if it was an outswinger, pitch and then jag toward the stumps. Eventually I got him out bowled after bowling two outswingers that missed the crack and went away and then getting one on the crack that got through his defense. I then proceeded to watch it over and over again on replay. :)

Users who are viewing this thread