South African Cricketers Playing Overseas

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi, I would just like to get your thoughts on South African cricketers playing overseas.

In England in recent years we have seen their two best batsmen, Strauss and Pietersen, as well as Jonothon Trott all born in South Africa come through and make an impact for them. From my experiences in playing ICC i have noticed quite a few counties have one or two players that are SA but have decided to go and live in ENG.

In NZ, Grant Elliot has come through and shone for us at the CT. As a follower of NZ domestic cricket Canterbury's captain Kruger van Wyk is frmm SA. One of our best domestic bowlers last season Neil Wagner is also from SA.

I just want to no your thoughts on why these cricketers all end up going overseas and why their talent can't be recognized in SA.

I don't really follow SA domestic cricket but is it a case of them having a very poor youth system and domestic system which has forced these cricketers to play overseas.

Your thoughts on why their talent can't be recognized in SA and is it right for these cricketers to go play overseas?

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
You are opening a huge bag of worms asking this question!

mdoggie

Club Cricketer
In most of these cases I'm not sure but didn't Strauss move very early with his family and with KP, well he was a absolutly useless cricketer for Natal. Averaged in the 40s with the ball and in the 10s with the bat. He use the quota excuse but he really didn't perform well enough to demand first class cricket. Maybe he learned to be patient in England and then developed his skills.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
For the record Grant Elliott came over to New Zealand as a 20 year old who looked very unlikely of ever playing for South Africa. New Zealand didn't take him in and play him as soon as they could.

irottev

School Cricketer
I think it's great. Players like Strauss, Elliot and Pietersen have made new homes. There's no reason why there should be any problem with them playing for their new home countries.

I'm not so happy with players moving around just to play for a new country. Guys like that Morgan fellow for England and Nannes for Netherlands. One minute they're playing for one country and a few months later they've changed.

I don't think that's right.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Guys is what I am saying is why can't his talent be recognized in SA. I know he is good player for NZ but why couldn't he of been a good player for SA.

I am saying are the right systems in place in SA, as this seems to be a common occurrence, SA players never in the frame for SA national team, move to NZ or ENG and their talent is recognized.

irottev

School Cricketer
He's been here for a while. You improve a lot obviously. Plus he obviously wanted to move here because he liked this country more.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
You've got an Indian as the CEO of many American companies (aka Pepsi), an Australian the chairmen of British Airways, and many more such stories, yet you can't have a cricketer immigrate to a new country, call it their home and play for that nation?

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm not so happy with players moving around just to play for a new country. Guys like that Morgan fellow for England and Nannes for Netherlands. One minute they're playing for one country and a few months later they've changed.

I don't think that's right.

I agree with this.

Even though I bag the hell out of you Poms for having Saffas in your lineup all the time and the fact they even get to captain your side... There is nothing wrong with it legally so I have no problem.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I think there should probably be a distinction here between players like Strauss who moved to England aged 6 and players like Pietersen who clearly moved for cricketing reasons.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
It's starting to get slightly ridiculous. The England XI is now the World XI!

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
In most of these cases I'm not sure but didn't Strauss move very early with his family and with KP, well he was a absolutly useless cricketer for Natal. Averaged in the 40s with the ball and in the 10s with the bat. He use the quota excuse but he really didn't perform well enough to demand first class cricket. Maybe he learned to be patient in England and then developed his skills.

Nothing to do with patience, it's down to his coaches at Natal not seeing his obvious natural batting ability, and playing him as a frontline bowler. He didn't average in the 10's either, for Natal he averaged 26 with the bat, and batted mainly at number 10. He also averaged 36 with the ball, which for a young off-spinner in South African conditions really isn't bad.

He was also within his rights to blame the quota system. He'd performed decently for Natal, and was replaced by a player worse than him on racial reasons. He tried to sort things out with Natal, but they weren't interested, so KP was within his rights to tell Natal to shove it and move to England.

Feel free to slag him off for leaving the country and not trying to earn his place back if you like, but at least do your research first. Just guessing at statistics which are fairly wide of the mark just makes you look abit silly, because Pietersen was far from a 'completely useless' cricketer for Natal.

P

pcfan123

Blame the quota system, its reverse racism. Either way its being done away with from what I gather.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
It's starting to get slightly ridiculous. The England XI is now the World XI!
No it isn't. I'll say it once more: bar Eoin Morgan, there's English blood in every single player.

Users who are viewing this thread