Sri Lanka gets new captains

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
As widely tipped, Angelo Mathews has been named as the Lankan skipper in the Test and 50 over formats with the wicket-keeper batsman Dinesh Chandimal as his deputy.

Chandimal as deputy has surprised me actually. But what surprises me more is that he has been named as the skipper for the T20 format. Lasith Malinga will be his deputy in T20s.

The entire article is here.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I'm not sold on Angelo Mathews, but it's definitely worth giving him a shot. He might be one of those guys that loves the extra responsibilty.

I like Malinga as T20 vice-captain, he has a wealth of experience to tap.

And I like Chandimal's promotion too - was impressive in the Tests vs Aus, particularly with the gloves. I guess that means that Prasanna Jayawardene wasn't needed anymore in the Test squad.

troll3y

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Sri Lanka
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Prasanna was definitely the harshest omission in the upcoming Test squad, but I'm alright with the Test and ODI captaincy. I still don't really see Malinga as a tactician in even a vice-captaincy role, but at least he's a regular in the T20 side and has a wealth of experience from which to draw, and that would be a good compliment to Chandimal's inexperience.

Users who are viewing this thread