Struggling with In-Swing Consistency - Advice Needed

hayabusa

School Cricketer
I am a natural in-swing bowler, but sometimes I swing the ball too much, which results in leg side wides. To compensate, I then try to drag the ball towards the off side to avoid bowling leg side wides and reduce the swing. It usually takes me a few balls to get into rhythm before I become consistent. I often start my bowling spells with wides, which is frustrating. Can you please help me identify the issue? Is it the bowling action? Head falling off or the jump?

I run into this issue often when the run up is not even.

Below is a video of my bowling from a recent game where I started with 4 wides (I only bowled 1 over) and was not given a chance to bowl again. :(

Bowling starts at 21:40s.

I am a natural in-swing bowler, but sometimes I swing the ball too much, which results in leg side wides. To compensate, I then try to drag the ball towards the off side to avoid bowling leg side wides and reduce the swing. It usually takes me a few balls to get into rhythm before I become consistent. I often start my bowling spells with wides, which is frustrating. Can you please help me identify the issue? Is it the bowling action? Head falling off or the jump?

I run into this issue often when the run up is not even.

Below is a video of my bowling from a recent game where I started with 4 wides (I only bowled 1 over) and was not given a chance to bowl again. :(

Bowling starts at 21:40s.

I'm no expert, but I'd honestly suggest bowling in a net, or at the stumps with no batter, and attempt to work out the ideal line and length it to hit top of off stump. Possibly try adjusting you position on the crease, bowling wider. A lot of women bowlers get a lot of inswing and you see similar struggles but are also be a big threat if they get the line right.

Alternatively, try bowling cross seam to negate the swing, until you feel comfortable. Although that could also nullify the threat from inswing.

In respect to your run up, I'm sure I've heard some bowlers say they've just practiced running while holding a ball to make it feel more natural. A quick search, it's this something Mitchell Johnson mentions in this masterclass

Users who are viewing this thread