Swype

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I had seen this app before in beta-labs but didn't paid much attention till one of my friend showed me a video of swype running on a Android. It was a completely different approach to typing. I downloaded it from beta-labs to try out myself and its just frigging awesome. IMO t would make the touch typing obsolete.

How many of you are using this?? Lemme know your thoughts on this. Would love to hear new tips and tricks.

P.S: Am i the only one having some trouble while swyping "Where" using this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Typing on a touch screen is useless anyway. Swype would be much better. It's basically predictive text for a touch screen phone

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
I was skeptical about how well it would work, but once i used it i was blown away:eek: . After a little practice i'm already typing at nearly 70% of my keyboard speed which is pretty impressive. Whats good is that you can add the words on fly by just inputting them using touch typing and then pressing space. And it takes all the names from the contact list into its database so its really easy to write your friends name too which would never come in predictive texts earlier.

P.S: It is developed by the same guy who's invented the T9 predictive text. Great stuff ..

AngryPixel added 2 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

And i figured out what was wrong with where. I wasn't swyping to e after i swyped through W-H-E-R. So it was predicting words based on that. :D

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I was skeptical about how well it would work, but once i used it i was blown away . After a little practice i'm already typing at nearly 70% of my keyboard speed which is pretty impressive. Whats good is that you can add the words on fly by just inputting them using touch typing and then pressing space. And it takes all the names from the contact list into its database so its really easy to write your friends name too which would never come in predictive texts earlier.

But how well is it suited for people who've had their thumbs ripped off in industrial accidents? If they've not thought about this massive potential consumer base they've made a massive mistake.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
You can still swype with your fingers. Infact it becomes much more accurate and faster. Coming to think of it, looks if it was built for this niche market.

I remember using Swype on my HTC touch pro.. never got used to it.. maybe because I had a physical keyboard to my disposal.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
But how well is it suited for people who've had their thumbs ripped off in industrial accidents? If they've not thought about this massive potential consumer base they've made a massive mistake.

I'm not using my thumb at all. Its just a bad habit of grabbing the phone in landscape mode and type with both thumbs. Now i just hold the phone in left hand and swype with my finger. It is faster. I wonder how well it works on resistive touch screens which need a little bit more pressure than capacitive screens?
I guess some 5800 owner may post his experience. On X6 its is flying...:D

P.S: I do have a thumb :p

AngryPixel added 9 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

See this guy, he's ridiculously fast:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
IIRC the Swype extension recently won an award for fastest way to compose a text message. Yes, they do have such competitions.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Looks like they have no thumb support. Very nice.

Silliness aside that does look a very efficient way of composing messages in comparison to texting and the like. I'm dreadfully slow at texting and I insist on using properly punctuated grammar so it takes me even longer.

Then I get responses like "Hi how r u 2day" and it makes me weep.

Chewie

BCCI President
Looks like they have no thumb support. Very nice.

Silliness aside that does look a very efficient way of composing messages in comparison to texting and the like. I'm dreadfully slow at texting and I insist on using properly punctuated grammar so it takes me even longer.

Then I get responses like "Hi how r u 2day" and it makes me weep.

I get really annoyed when people don't use proper grammar in texts. Most of my friends have started to which is a relief, but the odd friend doesn't. With T9 predictive more people have started to use proper spelling and grammar though. Do you use predictive text?

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Do you use predictive text?

Yeah. I don't want to know how long it would take me text without it. I could probably go round to the persons house in the time it would take me. Some of my friends still refuse to use predictive as they like amalgamations of text and numbers dotted around incoherently.

The time it saves them with text speak is lost when I have to sit there deciphering it at the other end.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I don't find any difficulty in typing on touch screen on my SE and any other android phone I have used. Swype definitely enhances the experience but its not something I will miss if I don't have it.

Chewie

BCCI President
Yeah. I don't want to know how long it would take me text without it. I could probably go round to the persons house in the time it would take me. Some of my friends still refuse to use predictive as they like amalgamations of text and numbers dotted around incoherently.

The time it saves them with text speak is lost when I have to sit there deciphering it at the other end.

hahaha

I actually find it quicker to use predictive than to normal text with txt spk. It does make messages longer though so they often spill over into a second text message

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
I don't find any difficulty in typing on touch screen on my SE and any other android phone I have used. Swype definitely enhances the experience but its not something I will miss if I don't have it.

You wont lose anything if you install it. As you can still touch type if swype is not your thing.;)

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
You wont lose anything if you install it. As you can still touch type if swype is not your thing.;)

As I said, I am already using it and personally I have found touchscreen more easy to write than QWERTY or normal keypads.

Users who are viewing this thread