Symonds and Watson both in the test team?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
According the the Queensland Bulls captain (Jimmy Maher) Symonds can average 50 in test matches and bat 5 or 6 with Watson at 4. Now that sounds like a good lineup. 6 Bowlers in an Aussie side. :eek: He also believes Symonds will play in the 2nd test, due to Aus love affair with spin pair MacGill and Warne.

Full story below.

DYNAMIC all rounder Andrew Symonds can average 50 as a Test batsman if he keeps things simple and backs his basic instincts.

This is the view of Symonds' Queensland captain, Jimmy Maher, who has monitored Symonds' bumpy journey towards fulfilling his potential since the duo were teenagers.

With Australia considering leg spinner Stuart MacGill as Shane Warne's sidekick, Symonds has a strong chance of playing his third Test, against a modest West Indies side at Bellerive Oval on Thursday.

Symonds has been typecast as a free-scoring, reckless one-day player, but Maher feels he has matured as a batsman.

"There is no reason why he can't average 50 in Tests," Maher said.

"He's a great player of spin and he's sorted out his game against the quicks and medium pacers.

"The way the selectors are going with the all-rounder role I see Shane Watson batting at No.4 down the track and Symonds at 5 or 6.

"The biggest thing for (Symonds) is keeping it simple.

"When he keeps it simple with bat and ball he is dynamic. He is the sort of player who if he gets to 20 is very difficult to remove.

"I don't think he is anywhere near as volatile as he was at the start of his career. He has a good game plan and thought process."
Early in his career when he was playing under coach John Buchanan for Queensland, Symonds was given permission to ignore computer printouts of his batting for fear it would only muddle his thinking.

He is at his best when playing on instinct.

Though Symonds' bowling is not as highly regarded as that of the man he replaces - Watson - Maher said he had a magic about his game.

"If you need an injection of something when there is nothing happening, he is the man who can change things around - whether that is with a brilliant dive-stop or a great catch.

"We used to call him 'Golden Bollocks' because he used to come on after the quicks had busted their guts and he would bowl gentle outswingers and get a wicket."

The Courier-Mail

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17233026-23212,00.html

Jarryd said:
Thats the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Though he's right, Symmo can average 50.............with the ball :D
Haha! too true, His straight breaks are amazing, with a impossible slider to pick:p

I'll take Symonds aggressive batting. With that he won't be having a 50 average but his strike rate will be up there with Gilly.

aussie1st said:
I'll take Symonds aggressive batting. With that he won't be having a 50 average but his strike rate will be up there with Gilly.
What goods a high S/R if you average 20?

I dont think so Andrew Symond shoukd play the test because he is a agressive player like Afridi. If they do pick him i think it will be a waste wicket for Aus.Also, it can effect their batting then.

Symonds should definately play. HE has improved his game over the last 2 years alot. He can bat very defensivley. He averages 43.39 in first class and has averaged over 50 in ODI's scince his 143 not out in the world cup. I think he is under-rated with bat and ball.

muhammad_inzi said:
I dont think so Andrew Symond shoukd play the test because he is a agressive player like Afridi. If they do pick him i think it will be a waste wicket for Aus.Also, it can effect their batting then.

No no no, Afridi is in a class of his own. He is a plain slogger. Symonds is more like Pitersen/Flintoff. He has shown in first class that he can bat for long periods so he will have no problems playing as a batsmen.

I don't think his even as sloggerish like flintoff/pietersen, he just has a go at anything not on the stumps!

langerrox said:
I don't think his even as sloggerish like flintoff/pietersen, he just has a go at anything not on the stumps!

Symonds before he went into a bit of a slump in ODIs was batting sensibly. I remember one inns with Clarke where he took his time, blocking, leaving balls and hitting the bad ball to the rope. Then when Aus was out of trouble and in the last 10 overs he let loose.

And if Symonds has a go at anthing why is his strike rate in first class 72.23! That is below Gilly and Afridi. Then you've got his average of 40 which you don't get by whacking at everything as Afridi's average in first class cricket is 30.89!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread