Taking Wickets

Wally Hammond

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've had the game for 2 weeks and have spent most of the time learning how to score runs (mostly thru the sq leg area), i'm now fairly confidant that i can score 250+ in Test and County championship games.

However i now have a problem taking wickets, can anyone give me some advice. So far i managed to take a few by bowling short balls between 3/4 and full pace, but i can't seam to clean bowl batsmen of have them edge balls to slips or caught behind. :help

By the way i am playing on the PS2

thanks inadvance

Wally

Yeh I have the same problem I can bat well but cant seem to take wickets.
Also on PS2.

P.S. These r sorta cheats

Bowl fullish on leg stump spinning towards the stumps.

Bowl a low full toss at lowish speed.

Cut the ball away just short of a full length outside off stump

Tell me if these work

just bowl outside the offstump and tempt them to cut or play a back foot drive. All you need is patience and a good bowler will usually bring a wicket.

I usually aim just to the offstump and add some inward or outward swing, they either attempt the shot or miss completley (if they are crap - work better with tail enders)

Just variey your ball selection

thanks for the help, i'll try some more at the weekend (providing my 3 month old daughter lets me :D ) and let you know how i do.

manee said:
P.S. These r sorta cheats

Bowl fullish on leg stump spinning towards the stumps.

Bowl a low full toss at lowish speed.

Cut the ball away just short of a full length outside off stump

Tell me if these work
Those are quite good, i did the low full toss and they work well and so do the full toss's that i do :happy

Some tactics (apart from constant boring line and length) I've found that work (Normal difficulty, PS2):

*Legside bowling with a wrist spinner: works well on dry or wet pitches. against a right hander bowl your legspinner around the wicket constantly bowling outside leg stump, varying pace and length and spin, and eventually one will get through and bowl them. Excellent tactic in ODIs when the other team don't look like getting out.

*Bouncers: Don't wait for the special ball bouncer, use X on fast bowlers and bowl short every once in a while. Batsman will edge to keeper or to legside boundary riders (or you get hit for six o_O). Also worthwhile to have a leg gully if batsman is not great at handling short deliveries.

*When bowling swinging deliveries, vary the pace constantly.

I dont think Ive bowled a batsman out in a test match yet...only ever catches to the slips and caught at square leg from a full toss. One or two lbws but no straight bowls...anyone got any secrets?

just a quick update, i managed to bowl Australia out for 187 in there first innings. However they were a catches.

I've just started there 2nd innings and i've taken 2 wickets, Hayden lbw to a slower 3/4 length ball that stayed low, and then Ponting with the next ball, a half length slower ball (special delivery) with removed his leg stump.

So i'm getting the hang of it, but i have a question about the inswinging yorker that is one of Harmison special deliveries, has anyone managed to take a wicket with it? as i can't seem to.

Users who are viewing this thread