TENDULKAR Declines-India's Test Captaincy

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 2003 world cup final, Ganguly won the toss and rightly elected to bowl first, the wicket had something on it for the bowlers to expliot it, that was a aggreasive move, but his bowlers lost to plot in the final, Zaheer went for 10 runs in an average over, Srinath went for 87 off ten, neither bowler, bowled line and length, the Indian bowlers left India to chase an impossible 360 for victory.
He most definitely did not rightly elect to bowl first. Everyone and their grandmother would have batted first.

wit that ganguly divided indian team...he formed his own gang excluding likes of sachin n dravid...thats not good my friend..he backed up players like, kaif zhaeer khan,harbhajn singh..wen they r struggling badly.....once they were dropped...they started everything again coz dada isnt there for backup... they make solid comeback...the performance of zaheer khan improved...under dravid captincy .harbhjan singh is improving under dhoni captincy...

ganguly is that kind of person..who wants dominate his team members...he dominated jhon wright ...but he cudnt dominate greg chappel..hence he was forced out of team on the basis of his battin performance...

y dravid failed as captain in 2007 world cup..simply becoz...none of ganguly chamchas wud listen to dravid...

ganguly destroyed career of murali karthik for harbhajan singh...infact ganguly never allowed left arm spinners dominate in his captincy...

dravid was made wicket keeper batsmen becoz ...they werent wicket keeper batsmen...u shud give credit to rahul dravid for accepting to keep wickets...
ganguly backed up parthiv patel deepdas gupta but they failed to deliever ..so he doesnt have choice but to go for dravid ...dravid had a great record under ganguly captincy...so y the hell he wud be dropped:rolleyes:

regarding 2003 worldcup..ganguly failed to control zaheer khan...wanderes ..the pitch was a batting beauty...ganguly choose to bowl first becoz...india lost to australia badly in the group stages.....south africa chased down 400+ runs on the same pitch 1 year back...once sachin failed...sorav knows its all over..

Dravid nearly got dropped for his batting in odis. Ganguly decided to give him the gloves for a short peroid of time to save him from getting dropped.

In the world cup final, the pitch earlier on had something in it, but the bowlers bowled very bad in the first 15 overs, if Zaheer and Srinath just bowled line and length things might have been different, this gave Australia the platform.

India failed in 2007 world cup because of a poor team performance, overconfidence hit them in the game against Bangladesh and some tactical errors lost them the game agaisnt Sri Lanka, Uthappa played a poor shot to get out, Ganguly got himself out, Tendulkar was plain bad luck, Dravid got Yuvraj out, Dhoni got himself out, poor shots cost India the game and some tactcal errors, Tendulkar should never have batted at number 4, he is more comfortable opening and Kartick should have been brought in for the failing Uthappa. Dravid should have batted first.

He most definitely did not rightly elect to bowl first. Everyone and their grandmother would have batted first.

The wicket did have something on it, the bowlers were firing and the batsmen were chasing well too.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but the wickets for the World Cup Final in SA, '03. Was the biggest flat track I've seen in my life.

Good on him to turn it down.
India need a young captain like Dhoni who will take them to the future. Sach is a great captain and knows it so its would be best for him to concentate on his batting, which is his best suit.

Dhoni is still a baby in test cricket. Giving him test captaincy so early may even affect his batting. And if it does India will loose her Adam Gilchrist. Ganguly is the best man right now. He guided india to the 03 WC Final. He guided India to the Natwest Trophy win. He is the only captain who has won both the test and ODI series against pakistan in the soils of pakistan. Have you guys forgotten the 01 Aussie Series? I dont care what wicked dude says about him. Right now India has no replacement for Ganguly. But as he has a bitter relationship with the BCCI i highly doubt whether he will be selected as the captain

You really want you team to bowl first on a flat track against the worlds most devistating batting line-up because your chasing well?
I see it worked out well.

Some people are yelling for Kumble. I think Kumble never captained India in the past. Giving him test captaincy will indeed be a big gamble. I highly doubt whether he will be successful.

Last edited:
I would either select Ganguly or Yuvraj if he is selected in Test Matches.
If Dhoni were to be India's Test Captain, then as rightly said he will have too much pressure on him being captain which may cause his Batting to drop.

Nice job Sachin.

Ganguly, Laxman or Kumble are the men for the job. India need to start getting Kaif back into the picture, let him play a few series as a batsman and hand the captaincy over to him.

I would either select Ganguly or Yuvraj if he is selected in Test Matches.
If Dhoni were to be India's Test Captain, then as rightly said he will have too much pressure on him being captain which may cause his Batting to drop.
I don't think they would give Yuvi the captaincy simply because they are looking for a stop-gap measure till Dhoni proves that he is a good enough captain. As for Ganguly, I have changed my opinion. I wouldn't mind him being given the captaincy though it must be made absolutely clear to him that it is an extremely short-term assignment.

I always backed up, he can't be a good captain and denied repeatedly and there is no sense in giving the job to him with which he is not comfortable with it. Tendulkar, atlast made some sense. ;)

Even though I thought him right for the job, it was the right move to decline because he was not comfortable with it.

Dravid nearly got dropped for his batting in odis. Ganguly decided to give him the gloves for a short peroid of time to save him from getting dropped.

In the world cup final, the pitch earlier on had something in it, but the bowlers bowled very bad in the first 15 overs, if Zaheer and Srinath just bowled line and length things might have been different, this gave Australia the platform.

India failed in 2007 world cup because of a poor team performance, overconfidence hit them in the game against Bangladesh and some tactical errors lost them the game agaisnt Sri Lanka, Uthappa played a poor shot to get out, Ganguly got himself out, Tendulkar was plain bad luck, Dravid got Yuvraj out, Dhoni got himself out, poor shots cost India the game and some tactcal errors, Tendulkar should never have batted at number 4, he is more comfortable opening and Kartick should have been brought in for the failing Uthappa. Dravid should have batted first.

The wicket did have something on it, the bowlers were firing and the batsmen were chasing well too.

first of all the wanders pitch is batting beauty..remember last year ..proteas chased 400+ runs...ganguly was aware that india lost to aussies in the early match...so he decide to bowl first..as his batsmen are in prime form...there is no swing in there..its flat surface....zaheer khan got over excitied...and sprayed the ball over the pitch...his bowling was so pathetic..gilhcrist started going after him...saruv ganguly failed to control zaheer..and he cudnt control any of his bowlers as pointing went on rampage...chasing 360+ is never easy..especially wen sachin got out early ...its shows saruv did buckled under the pressure...

regarding dravid being dropped..are u kiddin me? dravid was in prime form during sauruv captincy....its was ganguly who was strugglin wit bat...india didnt have a allrounder..nor a wicket keeper who can bat...upon team mangement request dravid started wicket keeping ..please go n check the stats of dravid .dravid has been consistent for 10 years...

regarding the 2007 worldcup..dravid wanted team to bowl first on a pitch where there is lot of moisture..but senior players like sehwag sachin ganguly decide to have some batting pratice against small team like bdesh..this is over confidence ... they thawt they can thrash bdesh bowlers all over the park ...tooo bad..that bdesh bowled well and batted better than indians...

remeber b4 world cup india won series against west indies and srilanka..and they won their warm up matches in the world cup...even the last match no one showed any resistance excpet dravid..but its all over by then...

world cup 2007 was disaster becoz of greg chappel and the senior players..who didnt batted well...dravid was blamed..just becoz he is captain...selectors said...seniors player didnt co operate wit dravid making their own groups

Good news for Ganguly fans.He is the strong contender now along with Dhoni and Yuvi.I dont think yuvi will.So the choice is b/w Ganguly and Dhoni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread