The 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

It's been pretty clear all tournament that the Chinese have been favoured by the judges. It's a shame really because if in 2012 there were any accusations of bias against us we'd have the book thrown at us.

The decision was overturned, credit to the Chinese. She was all in a mess though and lost the semi final, but she can still win the bronze.

Great Britain are now 4th in the medals table, behind Russia - but we are still a long way ahead of the Aussies!

Gold in Men's 10m Platform diving to Matthew Mitcham, here comes the charge! Good chance for women's basketball I reckon, if we can beat the USA we'll be just 1 behind Germany.

I just wish the Olympics was only swimming, we suck at most other sports. Plus we should have gotten at least two others, Hackett should have gotten at least the 1500m and Sullivan the 100. He doesn't deserve Stephanie Rice!

I would have kicked the ref in the head too like that bloke did. Well I wouldn't have had the cojones but I understand why he did it. :D

Well done James DeGale winning us a boxing gold. Just a shame your career will suffer from the fact no-one is that bothered about boxing anymore after Amir Khans bullpoop have ruined it for all the casual fans.

Congrats to Wallace wasn't expecting that, he sure has a fast finish. Mitcham also prevented the diving clean sweep for China, the world can thank us :p

Our 4x400m men were way off the pace, to think our papers were saying we could defend our silver!

It's been pretty clear all tournament that the Chinese have been favoured by the judges. It's a shame really because if in 2012 there were any accusations of bias against us we'd have the book thrown at us.

Yeps and you won't find us having one girl stand on stage and mime, while we use someone else's voice either.

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

What about that Tom Daly eh? Fourteen years old and seventh in an Olympic Final! He's going to be something in 2012...

0,,6214319,00.jpg

OWNED!! Crazy Cubans...

Anyway, did anyone else feel the London ceremony bit was pretty crap? Its going to be pretty hard for London to out-do Beijing and Sydney. (Athens was just a toilet basically)

Gold in Men's 10m Platform diving to Matthew Mitcham, here comes the charge! Good chance for women's basketball I reckon, if we can beat the USA we'll be just 1 behind Germany.

I just wish the Olympics was only swimming, we suck at most other sports. Plus we should have gotten at least two others, Hackett should have gotten at least the 1500m and Sullivan the 100. He doesn't deserve Stephanie Rice!
Isn't there an international swimming gala?

All the Aussie media has been saying we have cheated because we won more gold medals.

Another thing we are better than them at. :)

Anyway, did anyone else feel the London ceremony bit was pretty crap? Its going to be pretty hard for London to out-do Beijing and Sydney. (Athens was just a toilet basically)
Aye, what was that bit with the umbrellas all about, didn't make Laaaandan look a decent place to host the Olympics. All about London too, I thought this was for the rest of Britain too, although the rest of Britain will just be the ones who have to face the rise in tax.

I quite liked it, but whoever got it into their heads that Myra Hindley would be a good image to use to promote the London games needs their head testing (and to be fired).

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

All the Aussie media has been saying we have cheated because we won more gold medals.

Another thing we are better than them at. :)

Sour grapes, sour grapes. That's all that is. Well, just to annoy the Aussies further:

JOHN HOWARD!!! JOHN HOWARD ARE YOU LISTENING?? JOHN HOWARD, SHANE WARNE, DAME EDNA, ROLF HARRIS, YOUR BOYS HAVE TAKEN ONE HELL OF A BEATING!!!!

GO TEAM GB!!!!

Not a major Olympics for India from a winning medals point of view, but a great hope for the future has been developed. Of course, this sort of hope develops after every Olympics where someone picks up a medal out of the air, and then everyone goes gaga over them, only to slowly drift back towards cricket.

Akhil Kumar, Vijender Kumar and Jitender Kumar are definitely people that are in the form of their lives. Don't know if that form will last till London, but hopefully it will! The funny thing is I think it was one of our other boxers who were supposed to be most likely to grab a medal, but lost in the first round.

Saina Nehwal is the other find of the tournament, for me. This girl is still pretty young (around 17 or so, I think) and from what I remember she beat the fifth seed and also ran one of the stronger competitors to a game lasting more than an hour (matches are scheduled for 45 minutes). In fact, she was also in the lead about 11-4 (first to 21) in the third and deciding game of the quarterfinal before the situation probably got to her. Hopefully one to look for in the future.

The disappointments, though, were numerous. Apart from Abhinav Bindra, our shooting squad let us down completely. It was even stranger because many of our shooters had been recording their career bests over the last year or so. Maybe they peaked to early. Tennis lacked any success whatsoever and Sania Mirza is going to have to work hard to resurrect her career, which seems to be heading south. Paes and Bhupathi should stop playing the Olympics together unless they team up together for all tournaments for at least a year. They're not really doing the country a favor--it is obvious that they are looking for personal glory than national pride.

And of course, who can forget the hockey team. Absolute crap (especially from the management) has meant that the sport we were best at is now we are fighting to qualify for. Hopefully the suspension of the IHF (Indian Hockey Federation) by the IOA will result in a KPS Gill-free management that actually tries to nurture the game. I don't have high hopes, though, with the popularity of Twenty20 cricket and the fact that the World Cup will be held in India just a year prior to the next Olympics.

That's all I have left to say about this event. I was unfortunate enough not to be able to watch a single game live because I was without a TV for the 2-3 weeks that it was on. :(

Users who are viewing this thread