Draft: The All-Time One-Day Draft

Neptune

Panel of Selectors
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Think the best choice for now is AB de Villiers who is versatile enough to bat anywhere in the middle order and will also give me a keeping option if needed. Gives a lot of flexibility to the team.
@Aislabie

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I have an inkling about who Aislabie's gonna pick, let's see if I'm correct.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Well, my first choice pick was going to be AB de Villiers to bat at five; he's just absurdly good at that role with a +226% VARP. No matter, I have another hugely valuable player to pick:

:saf: :ar: Mike Procter

List A stats
- 6,624 runs @ 27.94 (SR: n/a, 5 centuries, best 154*) and 344 wickets @ 18.76 (econ: 3.14, 7 5WI, best 6/13) in 271 matches

Where to start with Mike Procter? I guess with that video. In it, he takes four wickets in five balls en route to an astonishing six for 13. It is worth looking at who his victims were: Gordon Greenidge, Barry Richards, Trevor Jesty and John Rice in the space of five balls, then Michael Taylor and Bob Stephenson later on. There was no coming back for Hampshire, as they had fallen victim to one of the great fast bowling spells by a man who was also captain and number four batsman for Gloucestershire. For there is also the small matter of Procter's batting: often destructive, he would have comfortably made most teams as a batsman alone. He is one of three men to make six consecutive first-class centuries, and also boasts a Test bowling average of only 15. It is a shame - but a justified one - that he was never able to partake in ODI cricket due to South Africa's sporting isolation.

Aislabie's XI so far
6. :saf: :ar: Mike Procter (middle-order hitter, express pace bowler)

@Murtaza96

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Well, my first choice pick was going to be AB de Villiers to bat at five; he's just absurdly good at that role with a +226% VARP. No matter, I have another hugely valuable player to pick:
So you say you would've left Viv Richards if you had the first pick?

I have an inkling about who Aislabie's gonna pick, let's see if I'm correct.
If it's the same inkling, I'm going to be furious
I mean we all know that by this point, that his first pick is always gonna be de Villiers or Procter...

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
So you say you would've left Viv Richards if you had the first pick?
Yep. He'd be either my second or third choice. Despite being an absolute monster, Viv's VARP as a top-order player (the role he'd be picked in) is +158% compared to AB's +227% in the middle order. Of course in an ideal world I'd have the pair of them. Once the players are all picked, ping me and I'll throw out an all-time VARP-based World XI, but I don't want to do that we've all had an equal-ish chance to pick the best players.

Mittal2002

Club Captain
25BevanODIcoach.jpg

I will go for MICHAEL BEVAN.

Batting Career Summary
MInnNORunsHSAvgBFSR100200504s6s
ODI23219666691210853.17932074.16604645021

Bowling Career Summary
MInnBRunsWktsBBIBBMEconAvgSR5W10W
ODI2326719661655363/363/365.0545.9754.6100

The term 'finisher' was created and cemented by Michael Bevan - arguably among the greatest ODI batsmen of all time. For most people, the 50-overs format as it grew meant adventurous strokeplay and a lot of powerhitting. For Bevan, it was all about calculation, especially in run chases. His brain worked like a calculator as he broke down chases and constructed his innings brick by brick, eventually taking his side across the line from the most dangerous of situations. It wasn't as if Bevan didn't have the big shots in his kitty, it's just that he didn't prefer to go out blazing always. He preferred to put a value on his wicket every single time and also loved to take the game deep whenever he batted. The result was an extremely successful white-ball career for Australia with several experts calling him the 'greatest ODI player ever' due to his versatile skills.

Bevan also gives team the option to sneak in some overs with his left arm wrist spin bowling and was great in the field too.

@Bevab is next

Users who are viewing this thread