The best seamer of all time?

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
With Jimmy breaking the English record yesterday, it got me thinking about who the best seamer I've ever seen is. My initial thought, without looking at the stats, was Glenn McGrath. Then I looked at the stats- 563@ 21. Incredible. When I was a teen, he had the action that I wanted to copy. Just a shame he is an Aussie.

Ambrose must be challenging for the title though. Over 400 wickets @20.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Glenn McGrath is the best IMO,Line,Length,Accuracy,Action.Wow just wow.

Santander

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
New ball: Richard Hadlee
Old ball: Wasim Akram

I considered Marshall, Garner, Barnes and Holding, but my heart says Wasim and I've always thought Hadlee didn't get enough mentions in these kinds of things so those are the two I went with.

SixerBoy11

Chairman of Selectors
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I will rank as
1- Malcom Marshall
2- Glenn Mcgrath
3- Wasim Akram
4- Sydney Barnes
5- Brett Lee

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Statistically - George Lohmann
Anecdotally - SF Barnes
Recently - Glenn McGrath
Personally - Simon Jones

Hopefully that all makes sense. He won't make any all-time lists, but I reckon that for about a two-month purple patch, Simon Jones could walk on water.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
No mention for Allan Donald, maybe not the greatest but not that far from it in my opinion. As much as it pains me to say it I'd have to go for McGrath though, the action, the accuracy and his battles with some of the greatest batsmen of all time which he generally won. A man I equally despised yet respected, he ruined many a day's cricket for me while being fixated on just how damn accurate he was. I remember his bowling once being described as "metronomic". That's exactly what he was.

S

Satan666

Sydney Barnes certainly the best to ever to grace the field, stats dont always tell the story but in this case his average is extraordinary.

Malcolm Marshall comes in second, never saw him live but from videos he certainly would have been a handful.

The best in the era certainly is Curtly Ambrose and the only reason I give him the nod over Glenn McGrath is that he consistenlty bowled the cutters at 150kph!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
He won't make any all-time lists, but I reckon that for about a two-month purple patch, Simon Jones could walk on water.

He really was a fantastic bowler. It still beggars belief that he never played for England again after the 2005 Ashes, and the one chance he had to play, he was overlooked for Darren Pattinson. To think we have the mastermind of that decision back in charge of the team...

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Anybody else thinks Dale Steyn would be up there in top 5? I find him very very similar to Maco. The same ol' style of fast, nippy swing. What Steyn does lack when compared to Maco is his tendency to bowl bouncers. Maco used it perfectly well and then he had that nippy swing which would make it even more difficult for the batsman when he would be in two minds. One might argue he had the support of Holding and Garner's short deliveries from the other end but even Steyn has Morne who is similar to Holding, not that much skillful but of course his style of bowling is similar. I really want Steyn to bowl bouncers more often. That will keep the batsmen guessing making him all the more dangerous.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Two good articles for you guys to read:
BBC Sport - England's best bowler? Anderson? Botham? Underwood? Or...

James Anderson and how to gauge greatness | The Spin | Sport | The Guardian

I was going to start my own thread on the discussion of Anderson, his place as a possible England great (the greatest?) and the great pace bowlers/seamers of all time but you beat me to it, so here's my 2 pence.

James Anderson, in this early part of the 21st century, is probably one of England's top 2 or 3 bowlers, not forgetting the brief but excellent contributions of Graeme Swann and Simon Jones and of course the inimitable giant that is Freddie. Can Anderson be clearly ranked above any of these guys? Or is that question too vague? Too broad? In my opinion, it probably is.

Anderson, in terms of guile, craft and intelligent is better or greater than both Flintoff and Jones but probably on par with Swann. He falls behind in explosiveness, pace, ripping batting line ups apart (not exactly an impressive average or SR) but in trumps all those names in longevity and in what may matter most, wickets taken. Then again, at what price have these wickets come. Is it better to take a 150 wickets at 21 then 300 at almost 30? I'd prefer a greater strike bowler in my side but there is no denying there is and always will be a place for the Anderson type, the guys who give you 100% every single time, who are always willing to ball and ball hard when others can barely stand. Anderson, for all his lack of statistics has been a tremendous match winner, picking up the important wickets when it counts.

That resilience, that ability to strike when most needed if not always, has dipped in recent years, as well as his consistency and skill with the new ball but at a time when England as a test and ODI team is changing, in this world of KP and Swann and Trott like premadonnas, Anderson has been the constant, the one person England can turn to. Anderson is there in the midst of the struggle and in the deluge of success. Comfortable in both, effective in both. Anderson is not Englands most explosive, awe-inspiring, statistically relevant or pacey fast bowler but he has been England's trump cards when others were unable or unwilling.

In recent times, overt he last decade or so, I'd probably rank the world's best seamers/pace bowlers as such:

Dale Steyn
Mohammad Asif
Glenn McGrath
Brett Lee
Shoaib Akhtar
Shaun Pollock
James Anderson
Freddie Flintoff
Morne Morkel
Mitchell Johnson

Now this is a list off the top of my head but it's how I'd see these guys ranking, but it is pretty rough. Some guys like Pollock and McGrath were nearing the end but were still very, very effective, especially McGrath, Ashes winner and world cup holder, breaking the record for most wickets by a pace bowler and most world cup wickets.

Other names, like Flintoff and Johnson have been too inconsistent to rank top 20 all time or but it's a common problem among modern pace bowlers (See Akhtar and Lee or even Bond, who was far too injury prone).

S

Satan666

BTW can Jimmy be classified as a Seamer? Tbf most times I have seen him bowling he swings it!

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
BTW can Jimmy be classified as a Seamer? Tbf most times I have seen him bowling he swings it!

I think when people say seamer, they normally mean any form of p ace bowler, fast, medium fast and swing of course. Some greats fall into multiple categories, take Akram, Younis, Lee, Donald, Akhtar and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread