The best seamer of all time?

S

Satan666

I think when people say seamer, they normally mean any form of p ace bowler, fast, medium fast and swing of course. Some greats fall into multiple categories, take Akram, Younis, Lee, Donald, Akhtar and so on.

Hmm very misleading thread. @bigred is this what you meant, best fast bowler ever and if so can we have a moderator modify the thread title.

S

Satan666

Anybody else thinks Dale Steyn would be up there in top 5? I find him very very similar to Maco. The same ol' style of fast, nippy swing. What Steyn does lack when compared to Maco is his tendency to bowl bouncers. Maco used it perfectly well and then he had that nippy swing which would make it even more difficult for the batsman when he would be in two minds. One might argue he had the support of Holding and Garner's short deliveries from the other end but even Steyn has Morne who is similar to Holding, not that much skillful but of course his style of bowling is similar. I really want Steyn to bowl bouncers more often. That will keep the batsmen guessing making him all the more dangerous.

I fail to see the similarities between Steyn and Malcolm Marshall, if thats who "Maco" is.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I fail to see the similarities between Steyn and Malcolm Marshall, if thats who "Maco" is.
Yes, Maco = Malcolm Marshall.

I personally find them similar. Both are not quite tall as ideally fast bowlers are meant to be. Both are just about fast enough to trouble the batsmen with pace. They are nippy, not bouncy kind of bowlers with nagging line and line and accuracy. Maco however, as I said before had that intimidating short ball which kept the batsmen guessing.

S

Satan666

Yes, Maco = Malcolm Marshall.

I personally find them similar. Both are not quite tall as ideally fast bowlers are meant to be. Both are just about fast enough to trouble the batsmen with pace. They are nippy, not bouncy kind of bowlers with nagging line and line and accuracy. Maco however, as I said before had that intimidating short ball which kept the batsmen guessing.

Thats a big difference to me with all due respect to Steyn his pace is no where near Maco, in recent times Steyn has slowed down alot his average is 140kp with a peak less than 150kph, all articles and videos I have perused indicate that Maco bowled consistenly at 155kph. Notably Steyn relies more or less purely on swing whereas Maco was a seamer but also swing it occasionally.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
McGrath imho. Has literally everything a pacer needs, and always a man for the big occasions.

Terrific seamer but couldn't swing the ball much and was a medium, medium/fast at best. So not exactly everything you need for a pacer. Not putting him down, the stats speak for themselves and his accuracy was second to none but there were betters.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Pace: Lee
Bounce: Ambrose
Swing: Anderson
Yorkers: Waqar
Consistency: McGrath
Variety: Akram

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
You know that wizened yet wise old man you see in fantasy films?

Well, @ethybubs is a real life version of that; and is indeed the person that trope was based on

LOOOL[DOUBLEPOST=1430757791][/DOUBLEPOST]
Obviously he/she/it did not!

Stats dont always tell the story but in this case you cant argue with those stellar averages!

Yes I can, I can argue with what I've seen with my own eyes, from a man who literally played 10 times as many cricket matches as either of those guys (McGrath).

S

Satan666

Nathan Bracken

/thread

Forgot about him. however he only played a couple of tests more a ODI bowler![DOUBLEPOST=1430765178][/DOUBLEPOST]
LOOOL[DOUBLEPOST=1430757791][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yes I can, I can argue with what I've seen with my own eyes, from a man who literally played 10 times as many cricket matches as either of those guys (McGrath).

Yeah well you got me there, cant argue with you for making a decision based only those you've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread