World Cup The Best team to never have won a World Cup

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I am talking about the greatest ODI teams of all time to have never won a World Cup. Note this doesn't talk about nations, this talks about certain teams. Let me start:

Crowe's NZ team in 1992 where they miraculously lost to Pakistan in the semi-finals.

Cronje's Devils in 1999-again ousted in the semi-final stage

Rahul Dravid's India of 2007-which on paper was the most superior team of the competition, yet it got knocked out in Round 1 itself.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
On paper, South Africa 2011 were the best side out there. They had awesome batsmen, the world's best all rounder and the best bowling lineup. And the way they collapsed against New Zealand after that catch in the deep, wow.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I am talking about the greatest ODI teams of all time to have never won a World Cup. Note this doesn't talk about nations, this talks about certain teams. Let me start:

Crowe's NZ team in 1992 where they miraculously lost to Pakistan in the semi-finals.

Cronje's Devils in 1999-again ousted in the semi-final stage

Rahul Dravid's India of 2007-which on paper was the most superior team of the competition, yet it got knocked out in Round 1 itself.

To date its still SA of 99.

And now way was IND of 2007 the best team on paper going into that competition.[DOUBLEPOST=1427564488][/DOUBLEPOST]
On paper, South Africa 2011 were the best side out there. They had awesome batsmen, the world's best all rounder and the best bowling lineup. And the way they collapsed against New Zealand after that catch in the deep, wow.

Ye that was the real SA tournament choke, not this one.

grkrama

National Board President
Rahul Dravid's India of 2007-which on paper was the most superior team of the competition
we had a top batting lineup on paper as usual but our bowling was weak as usual even on paper, ofcourse no one knew the actual turmoil in the team and mismanagement issues of the side then.

Asham

International Coach
Kings XI
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
England 87 was also a great side

Haseeb.

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Also Pakistan were a great team in 2011 WC.
They were first in Pool A and lost only two matches. One was a group match against New Zealand and one was against India in Seni Final.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Pakistani team in 2003 WC was probably the strongest in Pakistan's ODI history but they crashed in the first round. We had dream fast bowling lineup of Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib, even Mohammad Sami was pretty good in those days. Spin department was good too with Saqlain and Afridi, we had lots of fast bowling allrounders and lots of experienced batsmen. Also if I remember correctly we won an ODI series against the mighty Aussies in Australia too before the WC.

Although I don't remember 1996 WC but now comparing both 2003 and 1996 teams I still feel that 2003 team was the strongest of two based on the experience we got.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Pakistani team in 2003 WC was probably the strongest in Pakistan's ODI history but they crashed in the first round. We had dream fast bowling lineup of Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib, even Mohammad Sami was pretty good in those days. Spin department was good too with Saqlain and Afridi, we had lots of fast bowling allrounders and lots of experienced batsmen. Also if I remember correctly we won an ODI series against the mighty Aussies in Australia too before the WC.

Although I don't remember 1996 WC but now comparing both 2003 and 1996 teams I still feel that 2003 team was the strongest of two based on the experience we got.

Think your 99 team was better. Wasim and Waqar were younger then, in 03 they were somewhat passed their best even though still canny operators. In 99 the Razzaq/Mahmood all-rounder duo was in their best days. Saqlain too was better back in 99, Anwar similarly. Moin was probably the most dynamic keeper/bat in the world circa 99 with his late order hitting.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Think your 99 team was better. Wasim and Waqar were younger then, in 03 they were somewhat passed their best even though still canny operators. In 99 the Razzaq/Mahmood all-rounder duo was in their best days. Saqlain too was better back in 99, Anwar similarly. Moin was probably the most dynamic keeper/bat in the world circa 99 with his late order hitting.
There was no Waqar Younis in 1999 worldcup and this is the only reason why I preferred 2003 and 1996 WC squads. Rest I agree with you in 1999 whole squad was pretty young and dynamic.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
SA in the 70s. Even though they didnt even play a world cup and I dont think it had even started but that was probably the best team in history maybe the 80s Windies might pip them...

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
Ireland and Zimbabwe 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread