The future of Australian bowling. [2008]

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Regen, decided to play him as my bowling lineup of Gillespie, Bracken, Lee & Watson was pretty weak. Made his FC debut in the same year and I'm making him out to be the next 'Great White hope of Australian Cricket' after Indian destroyed us in all 3 Test Matches at home last year despite them only winning 1-0. All of my bowlers had 45+ bowling averages in Tests.

Just finished up a series at home against number 2 in the world, Pakistan (where we won) and although he didn't have the greatest debut (taking 2 wkts at 80 runs a piece), his managed to peg it back massively. He finished the series with an averaging hovering around 20-21 & we ended up winning the series 2-1. Bowlers like Bracken & Lee have also found some form also since his been introduced into the side.

In a game now, just took his 1st 5fer against the Windies & were in a commanding position with a 87 run lead, coming into our 2nd innings.

His batting seems also class aswell & should improve over time. He played a good knock in his debut innings of 48. And albeit he bats at 11, he might end up batting 7 by the end of his career. Good to see him making runs at an early age.

fentonnm8.png

Thoughts?

Metallica_ACDC

Club Cricketer
Looks a good player, I can never find any good bowlers using Australia, although my attack of

Tait
Lee
Bracken
Johnson
Watson
in around 09 worked quite well, except they all averaged above 30

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Tait's terrible for me. His first 6 wickets were at an average of 96 in Tests & he averages 40 in ODI's. I'ma keep him in domestic cricket for a few years & bring him back later on.

Johnson's gone out into the distance, as has Stuart Clark. Does Johnson turn out to be any good?

Watson's a terrible bowler but after about 25 Tests, his bat average is 80 & FC average is around about 56. I really only use him as an option when my other bowlers are fatigued.

But I usually wait for awhile before bowling Fenton as when I do that, he picks up a quick wicket or two. His 2nd's average was 20 with the bowl & 25 with the bat.

I hope I get a good quality spinner at the end of this season.

Metallica_ACDC

Club Cricketer
Good spinners are always difficult to come by for Australia
Often I have found some in their first seasons averaging 20ish, then after a couple of seasons averaging in the 40s
Tait is a gun for me, easily the best bowler after a few years. Can take massive hauls but other times crap hauls. One advice would be to from the start of your career always select him as 12th man so you can but bowling technique training on to him, which raises his bowling abilities

LewisQ

School Cricketer
The Aussie attack is horrible in ICC3 (or maybe it's just me.) Tait is next to useless, once in a blue moon he'll rip through a line-up but he's desperately inconsistent. I actually dropped Lee for a while but now he's become my premier bowler. The trick, I find, is to bowl him on full aggression in 3-5 over spells. Mitchell Johnson and Nathan Bracken are much of a muchness (although Johnson is a much better batsman), the former gets the nod for Tests and the latter for ODIs.

I persevered with Stuart Clark and he's come good (as has his batting, which is better than Lee's!) Shane Watson is a good bowler in ODIs but an expensive third seamer in Tests. He did take 6-15 in a tour game against Rawalpindi, which was somewhat annoying as no-one else got a decent bowl in that innings!

Anyone made any leftfield selections? I don't like to pick regens in the early years as it detracts from the realism. Allan Wise has played a couple of Tests for me, looked good and seemed to generate pace without taking too many wickets. Can't bat for toffee. Brett Dorey has played a few games without success.

On the spinning front, Cameron White is my current first choice (and also a fine batsman.) Nathan Hauritz toured Sri Lanka and did okay. Daniel Doran was tried and discarded early on.

darko21

School Cricketer
I have left ICC 3 to the side, waiting (forever?) for a patch to fix up the bowling. Australian bowlers are shocking. I have gone back to ICC 06 and found that the bowling is marginaly better. Tait, Clark, Johnson, Hauritz and Bracken are shocking. I am using Dan Cullen, using bowling technique on him and seeing how he has gone. This is his year so far.

Attachments

• cullen.JPG
    cullen.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 80

Stiffi

School Cricketer
Regen, decided to play him as my bowling lineup of Gillespie, Bracken, Lee & Watson was pretty weak. Made his FC debut in the same year and I'm making him out to be the next 'Great White hope of Australian Cricket' after Indian destroyed us in all 3 Test Matches at home last year despite them only winning 1-0. All of my bowlers had 45+ bowling averages in Tests.

Just finished up a series at home against number 2 in the world, Pakistan (where we won) and although he didn't have the greatest debut (taking 2 wkts at 80 runs a piece), his managed to peg it back massively. He finished the series with an averaging hovering around 20-21 & we ended up winning the series 2-1. Bowlers like Bracken & Lee have also found some form also since his been introduced into the side.

In a game now, just took his 1st 5fer against the Windies & were in a commanding position with a 87 run lead, coming into our 2nd innings.

His batting seems also class aswell & should improve over time. He played a good knock in his debut innings of 48. And albeit he bats at 11, he might end up batting 7 by the end of his career. Good to see him making runs at an early age.

fentonnm8.png

Thoughts?

What is this guys 2ND XI batting & bowling averages?? He does look promising doesn't he.

Users who are viewing this thread