The older generation that got you into cricket...share your own story

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
There was exactly one time, only one time, that I mentioned that my late grandpa wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper concerning LBW reviews and the third umpire. This was way before Hawkeye, UltraEdge, and HotSpot, just btw. For years I've been trying to find that article and finally while cleaning out the house during...well...the post-grandma death thing...hey I found it. The original article in the newspaper. I'm sorry if I'm a bit emotional here but my granddad put me onto the Game. He's the best man that ever lived as far as I'm concerned.

I love you, Papa. May this put your memory online for as long as there is an internet.

https://flic.kr/p/2mgDB7N

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Please allow my rant.

Papa was way ahead of his time. A medium fast bowler himself, he chose to settle down with his new wife (granny) instead of going further in a cricket career. Primary school education at most, but one of the best analyses of everything in the Game you'd ever hope to meet. He would have, could have, been great as a commentator. Every single favourite memory of mine in terms of cricket...he was by my side, chattering away. But not like constantly. Just whenever he felt the need to. "Owsie!" was my fav thing from him, he'd leap up from the armchair and approach the TV set almost like he himself was appealing to the umpire.

He was my introduction to the Game. He made my first bat. Hell, he made my second and third bat too. And I'm not even halfway as good of a cricketer as he was. I can barely bowl spin, much less fast like he did. And I was weird. I'm a natural leftie in the true sense of the word, I can do nothing with my right hand. I bowled left arm orthodox spin, but batted right handed. That was the only type he could coach. So now in backyard games, you'd better pack the onside.

I love him and miss him so much...
Post automatically merged:

That’s a really nice memento.
By the way, now i finally understand your username :p
lol I thought everyone here knew my real name by now...

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Please allow my rant.

Papa was way ahead of his time. A medium fast bowler himself, he chose to settle down with his new wife (granny) instead of going further in a cricket career. Primary school education at most, but one of the best analyses of everything in the Game you'd ever hope to meet. He would have, could have, been great as a commentator. Every single favourite memory of mine in terms of cricket...he was by my side, chattering away. But not like constantly. Just whenever he felt the need to. "Owsie!" was my fav thing from him, he'd leap up from the armchair and approach the TV set almost like he himself was appealing to the umpire.

He was my introduction to the Game. He made my first bat. Hell, he made my second and third bat too. And I'm not even halfway as good of a cricketer as he was. I can barely bowl spin, much less fast like he did. And I was weird. I'm a natural leftie in the true sense of the word, I can do nothing with my right hand. I bowled left arm orthodox spin, but batted right handed. That was the only type he could coach. So now in backyard games, you'd better pack the onside.

I love him and miss him so much...
Post automatically merged:

lol I thought everyone here knew my real name by now...
My Granddad was my introduction to cricket. He and my Nam used to bowl to me in the garden or at the nets up the park. Took me to Edgbaston every other weekend. Lots of good memories, not least the 1999 World Cup semi final.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Just...this...

My Granddad was my introduction to cricket. He and my Nam used to bowl to me in the garden or at the nets up the park. Took me to Edgbaston every other weekend. Lots of good memories, not least the 1999 World Cup semi final.

I dunno about you, but grandpas are like the absolute best in life. There's my CricInfo article that's posted within days of his death (archived in 2013, original article in 2011). Somehow I felt like I needed to contribute something too. I mean he did. Back in so long ago. Wow. My Papa. I mean, you can tell he's writing from not much higher education in terms of the structure. But it's the message.

He never saw DRS in his lifetime. I bet he'd be happy. Now I suppose as soon as our local restrictions in terms of allowing people into places are up, I'm gonna go find the archives in our National Library and send a bit of a message to the ICC about who was the first to suggest these things. ( He wasn't the first obviously but he did mention something he wrote in 1993 that I'd really like to see if I can find.)

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Oh no. Why did you said this. Now I am having tremors after understanding your username. :noway

Relax, I'm fine. My actual last name means "of love" and my first name means "royal" or "king". I might just be the King of Love here, and that's actually pretty cool.

I edited the topic title to encourage others to post.

Still qpee forever. Papa was Cupi, Gran was Cupie, Dad was QP. I'm qpee (I'm not a cup). And will forever remain that.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Relax, I'm fine. My actual last name means "of love" and my first name means "royal" or "king". I might just be the King of Love here, and that's actually pretty cool.

I edited the topic title to encourage others to post.

Still qpee forever. Papa was Cupi, Gran was Cupie, Dad was QP. I'm qpee (I'm not a cup). And will forever remain that.
I meant, "CEREALKILLER"

Users who are viewing this thread