The Players of 2008

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
This is a thread to discuss any players that you think will light the world of cricket up in 2008. This can include in domestic cricket, international youngsters, or the veterans who will have fantastic years. If everyone could give a list of 3-5, it would be great, so here's mine:

Joe Denly

A young, stylish batsmen currently plying his trade for Kent. He's impressed greatly in the first class game in the past 3 years, since his debut in 2004. I feel that he has a big big future in English cricket, especially considering he's already had a great start with the England Lions. He's going to be a big name in a couple of years time, and i expect him to have a very good 2008, with the possibility of an England debut during the year.

77763.jpg

Dale Steyn

A young, talented and exciting quick bowler. He has the ability to bowl consisently at 90mph, and get away swing and seam movement. With Shaun Pollock on his way out, Dale Steyn could have to become the lynchpin in the South African attack. He has the talent to have a fantastic year, and i believe that he will definetly add to his 76 wickets that he already has in Test Match cricket. Needs to have a good tour against England.

58468.1.jpg

Shaun Tait

Another young quickie, who's possibly the most exciting bowling talent in the world today. Capable of bowling upwards of 95mph he has an interesting action, and one that allows him to generate magnificent pace. He bowls a mean bouncer, and a fantastic yorker, and also has the ability to bowl reverse swing, at magnificent pace. I feel that he is going to have a great year in all sections of the game, and i expect him to build on his 5 test wickets.

83746.jpg

Michael Clarke

Stylish, good looking, marketable, and one heck of a batsman aswell, Michael Clarke has the potential to go on to achieve fantastic things. He's already been earmarked as Ricky Pontings successor to the Australian captaincy, and has all the talent and support to do so. His fantastic test match average of 46 has proved his talent, and i believe he needs to have a fantastic year in 2008, nad really push himself to score close to 1000 test runs this year, he has the talent and just needs the oppurtunity to succeed.

84369.jpg

Alastair Cook

The 23 year old England opener has had a brilliant start to his test career, scoring almost 2000 test runs, at an average of 45, with 7 hundreds. What he lacks in agression and power he makes up for with ability and timing. If he can sort out his weakness against left armers and the tendency to get out lbw early in an innings, he could go on to be one of the most successful English batsmen of all time. I expect Cook to have a profitable 2008, and he will expect to score runs against New Zealand and South Africa. It could be a good year for the young Essex opener.

76316.jpg

So who are your picks for the players of 2008 >?

Last edited:
I have doubts over Steyn, yes he's a very good bowler but I want to see him prove himself against the big nations. Cook and Bell will come good this year, Denly won't get a game imo, too early and in terms of openers England have Strauss, Cook and Vaughan ahead of him as well as Bell who can open. Monty wil bounce back too I reckon, he's only 25. Collingwood will continue to show off his captaincy skills too, pretty amazing record from him so far.

I hope to see Subramaniam Badrinath and Manoj Tiwary finally get a breakthrough in the Test and ODI team respectively. I expect Yuvraj to have a great year, as I think our senior players will finally make way for him to replace one of them in the middle order.

Its Intresting, BBC have an article maybe where you got the Idea from they mention people such as Steyn, Denly, Boyd Rankin, Chris Jordan and Amborse the Aussie born Keeper. I agree with alot of yours Denly looks a good player, Steyn could be very good. Ill have to think but i mainly agree with yours

I think Gilchurch will have an awesome year, while Brett Lee will continue his awesome form.

Hussey will have an injury, and won't be able to get back into the team because of his brother.

I reckon Ponting will struggle aswell.

Its Intresting, BBC have an article maybe where you got the Idea from they mention people such as Steyn, Denly, Boyd Rankin, Chris Jordan and Amborse the Aussie born Keeper. I agree with alot of yours Denly looks a good player, Steyn could be very good. Ill have to think but i mainly agree with yours

Yeh, i got the idea from BBC, but tried to mention a couple of more proven players as opposed to purely youngsters like the BBC. I did agree with Steyn and Denly though, hence their inclusion. I'm happy with my list, im confident that them players will do very well this year.

I agree with sohummisra aswell, Badrinath looks a fantastic talent and i expect him to make a few appearances for the national side this year. A first class average of 58 at the age of 27 is amazing, i am surprised that he hasnt appeared for India upto now, especially considering players like Raina, Karthik, Kaif and Uthappa have all had a chance. Badrinath should break into the Indian side soon though.

I think Gilchurch will have an awesome year, while Brett Lee will continue his awesome form.

Hussey will have an injury, and won't be able to get back into the team because of his brother.

I reckon Ponting will struggle aswell.

...One post without Gilly mentioned in it please?

:p

Anyways, I think Dave Hussey will get a chance, at least in the ODI team this year due to how much cricket we are going to play. Oh and look out for Australia's answer to KP....Luke Pomersbach:)

Ahhh The one that thought he was being tricked, Its surprising Hussey hasnt been given a chance beofre he has been playing well

From the Indian perspective, I'm feeling Dinesh Karthik, Robin Uthappa, Badrinath, and Tiwary to have good years. I feel Dravid being totally eliminated from the ODI team (Similar to what happened to Sourav Ganguly) resulting in his retirement from the 5050 game :(.

Ganguly still plays the 50-50 game??
As he just said, he retired. And don't call it the 50-50 game, there is no such thing as 50-50.

Dave Hussey has been playing well for Victoria, he should get an ODI chance, but I reckon that if it wasn't for Cameron White's injury, he would be a certainty for this Comm Bank Series, and likely get a spot in the tour of Pakistan. Hopefully he can come back, because if he can, look out for him to cement a spot in our ODI side.

Ganguly still plays the 50-50 game??
Yeah... he was one of the highest run-scorers this year in ODI cricket IIRC. He's been in blistering touch since his comeback.

As he just said, he retired. And don't call it the 50-50 game, there is no such thing as 50-50.
He didn't actually say that. He said Dravid's elimination from the ODI team would be similar to Ganguly's elimination. Ganguly still plays 50-50 and in fact is in the form of his life in that version of the game.

Last edited:
I think that Jerome taylor will have a big year in One day cricket. Somthing like he had in 06, he played great cricket in the champions trophy but strugled in the World Cup and ODI cricket in general in 2007 but he seems to have reagained his form.

Also look for Asif to have a big year if he can come back healthy, he was injured for most part in 07 so we really didnt see much from him but what we saw he was great.

mine will be Chanderpaul proves to be a great player every year.
i got a feeling the Morkel brothers will do something special this year ( especialy Albie Morkel )
and Michael Clarke

Users who are viewing this thread