The Press Box | The Dynasty of Terry: Canada's Rise to Cricketing Supremacy

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
Avengers
images (71).jpeg

1670601392600.png

Come visit Korea and discover the unearthed truth and beauty of our country. Gone are the days when we used to lock ourselves away from the entire world.

Democratic Republic of Korea Cricket Corporation welcomes you and encourages you to vote for us inorder to witness the true Korean hospitality we will bestow upon you.

Let's have the WCC Knockout Cup in North Korea

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
We won't ask you guys to visit Greece to witness Hospitality or Beauty but visit us to witness the Iconic WCC Knockout Cup. Iconic tournaments require iconic locations.

What's more iconic than the nation that gave this world The Olympic Games. If we can introduce THE OLYMPIC GAMES to the world, we can absolutely host
WCC Knockout Cup.

We don't want to undermine the beauty of North Korea but would like to show all of you what Greece has to offer,

Here is an article to your question, why Greece?

And thank you to all those who voted for Greece before the vote appeal. :)

1670639498690.png

Last edited:

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Cricket Canada announces changes to upcoming domestic season

Cricket Canada building.png

Cricket Canada head office located in Toronto.

Cricket Canada released a statement to the press regarding the upcoming domestic season. Some of the changes include hiring seasoned ground staff to help prepare First Class pitches, they have also announced changes to their postseason structure.

Last year the structure was two semi-final matches, where the teams that lost would play for 3rd and 4th position and the teams that won would play for 1st and 2nd positions. This year will be a playoff type structure, where the team that ranked 1 and 2 in the season will play and the winning team will be put into the finals, the losing team will face the winner of the match between team that ranked 3 and 4; and the winner of that match will face off against the winner of the first playoff match in the finals. This structure will be used for both the First Class and List A tournaments.

"We feel this new structure gives us more saleability as we look to increase the number of domestic teams in the future." said the President of Cricket Canada.

This statement seemingly confirms the rumour that Cricket Canada will be looking to expand the domestic teams in the future. Cricket Canada also announced they have submitted bids for future tournaments and are looking forward to hosting the world and showing them the diverse and multinational culture of Canada.

Last edited:

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
The Boys
25-kevingarsideponting-gt.jpg

Niels Håkansson set to retire at the end of Knockout Trophy

Danish captain announces his international retirement through a press statement. He also relinquished the Test and ODI captaincy with immediate effect. "It has been a huge honour and I am grateful to be able lead Denmark onto the international stage for the first time. It has been an amazing journey and I would like to thank my family, friends, coaches and support staff.", said the 37-year old. "Not an easy decision to make but I knew my time has come to pass on the mantle and let the youngsters take over.", he added. When asked about who his successor will be, he replied to the reporters, "That is not in my hands. I can only give my recommendation but it is upto the board to decide. However, I feel Aksel Johansson is a strong contender with age on his side as well."

98255.jpg

Marnus-Labuschagne.png

Hakansson (above) has been a central figure in Denmark cricket.
Johansson (below) is considered a key member of the leadership group.

No confirmation has been made by the DCU on the next captain. Big personnel changes are expected in the Danish team contracts heading into year 2000, following the culmination of last year's domestic season.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
This isn't a particularly official press conference, but it will not have escaped anyone's notice that I've not been around much lately in WCC.

It's no reflection of what @Na Maloom Afraad has achieved here: this is a magnificent league, and a huge testament to the amount of effort he's put in. It's just a reflection of the fact that I don't really have the energy to put in to make Ireland's presence in the league as good as the league deserves it to be.

So, if anyone would like to take over management of Ireland, I'd be happy to let you do so. Otherwise we'll continue pottering along much as we already have been, but I don't think the County Championship is likely to happen as I'd hoped. Happy New Year in a few days everyone

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
This isn't a particularly official press conference, but it will not have escaped anyone's notice that I've not been around much lately in WCC.

It's no reflection of what @Na Maloom Afraad has achieved here: this is a magnificent league, and a huge testament to the amount of effort he's put in. It's just a reflection of the fact that I don't really have the energy to put in to make Ireland's presence in the league as good as the league deserves it to be.

So, if anyone would like to take over management of Ireland, I'd be happy to let you do so. Otherwise we'll continue pottering along much as we already have been, but I don't think the County Championship is likely to happen as I'd hoped. Happy New Year in a few days everyone
Just speaking my mind. I would like to see an Aislabie run Ireland playing 1 or 2 matches a ftp season than no Aislabie.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys

That sucks.

You can totally sit on Ireland for as long as you want and not be active if you haven't got the time instead of giving it away to someone who's gonna care a lot less about it, but if you want to give it away, that's also completely cool by me. I can totally get why constant tagging can be a little annoying. :sweat:

Either way, it's totally understandable. :cheers

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
The Boys
Veteran quick surprisingly recalled as Denmark
announce squad for 2000 WCC Knockout Trophy

Dansk Cricket-Union name the 15-man squad for the upcoming Knockout Trophy. Martin Lundgren, who last played an international game on 9 December 1999, has been recalled while Arman Ali earns a maiden call-up on the back of his performances in the domestic one-day competition last year. Chris Mattsson and Axel Danielsson hold on to their places despite their poor form. The only changes from the squad selected for the India series are Arman, replacing Dennis Balle (who was selected as a top-order replacement for mainly the Test matches), and Lundgren, taking place of Nicolai Lauritsen.

333c258e89116ce46b80860be5f42c3a

Lundgren is among the quickest bowlers in the
Danish circuit but his domestic performances last year
were mediocre.

8dEbYx5.png

Squad:

:goldo: :bat: Aksel Johansson (:c:) (Midtjylland)
:bro: :bat: Niels Håkansson (Hovedstaden)
:bro: :ar: Chris Mattsson:up: (Nordjylland)
:bro: :bat: Arman Ali (Nordjylland)

:slvo: :ar: William Gunnarsson:up: (Midtjylland)
:bro: :bat: Axel Danielsson (Nordjylland)
:bro: :wk: Søren Berglund (Hovedstaden)
:bro: :wk: Paul Boesen (Nordjylland)

:slvo: :ar: August Eklund:down: (Midtjylland)
:slvo: :ar: Oliver Johansson:down: (Syddanmark)
:bro: :ar: Hugo Ali:up: (Sjælland)

:slvo: :bwl: Noah Bendtsen:up: (Midtjylland)
:bro: :bwl: Martin Lundgren:up: (Hovedstaden)
:bro: :bwl: Felix Nørregaard:up: (Nordjylland)
:bro: :bwl: Chris Fredriksson:down: (Syddanmark)

World Cricket Conference

Verified Account
Knockout Trophy schedule released; WCC instates a ‘bowl-out’ as an official tie-breaker
Alongside the official fixtures list, the WCC also confirmed the implementation of a bowl-out system as an official tie-breaker for all games in the event​

vfydIwv.png

WCC President Arjun Prasad Hoodbhoy being given a tour of the Hellenic Cricket Fields by Hellenic Cricket Federation officials © Andreas Politoulis, January 1, 2000

Earlier today, the World Cricket Conference officially released the fixtures for the 2000 WCC Knockout Trophy scheduled to begin on April 13 in Greece.
Alongside the official fixtures list, the WCC also confirmed the implementation of a bowl-out system as an official tie-breaker for all games in the event.

In the official release, it was stated that all teams were seeded according to their WCC ODI Team rankings, so the top-four nations did not draw each other until at least the semi-finals. Greece, having solely qualified for the tournament as the hosting nation, were automatically assigned the lowest rank as they are currently ranked outside the Top-16. As a result of the official tournament seed, Greece drew the No. 1 ODI side in the world in India as their Round of 16 opponents. Not only will the host nation Greece play India in the first round; their match will also serve as the tournament opener for the 2000 WCC Knockout Trophy.

In the same briefing, it was revealed that a new bowl-out system was also implemented, marking itself as the first official tie-breaker to ever be instated for a World Cricket Conference event. The system will more or less work the same way a penalty shoutout does in football, with five different bowlers taking aim of unguarded stumps for a team, alternating with the oppositions. The team to have hit the stumps the most times after five attempts each will win the game. And much like a penalty shootout, a bowl-out ending in a tie after five attempts each will result in a sudden death round where the first team to miss after an equal number of attempts will end up on the losing side.

Round of 16 draw was seeded in the following order:-

06218oL.png
India (1) vs
FYNGvTT.png
Greece (16)
DhQiDDJ.png
Pakistan (2) vs
UCWzYkt.png
United States (15)
ov2tScd.png
Guernsey (3) vs
QCQglOx.png
Bangladesh (14)
znexrcm.png
South Africa (4) vs
8dEbYx5.png
Denmark (13)
NiYES6k.png
New Zealand (5) vs
DILVQex.png
North Korea (12)
tNPA3HP.png
Spain (6) vs
nwiHf42.png
Ireland (11)
tvg6857.png
Norway (7) vs
r9BU7X2.png
England (10)
jB27HsV.png
Niue (8) vs
BHzuIii.png
Canada (9)

The order of the matches was rejigged however, to ensure the top-four teams do not play each other until at least the semi-finals, causing any shocking premature eliminations.

World Cricket Conference

Verified Account
New Zealand withdraw from the Knockout Trophy; France named as replacement
“A shocking decision, but not surprising considering the financial state Cricket New Zealand has been over the past few years”​

NiYES6k.png
CWaVzjJ.png

France (currently ranked 16th in the ODI rankings) will replace New Zealand, the 5th best-ranked ODI team in the 2000 WCC Knockout Trophy © April 1, 2000

New Zealand have announced their decision to withdraw from the inaugural edition of the Knockout Trophy mere weeks before its commencement. A shocking decision, but not surprising considering the financial state Cricket New Zealand has been over the past few years.

Late last year, Cricket New Zealand funneled millions of dollars to ensure their bid to host the 2003 WCC Cricket World Cup (alongside Niue) did not go to waste. A risky move from the board, but it paid off in spades. Even though it was a great tactical success, and hosting the tournament now is likely going to aid New Zealand greatly economically, it has left their cricket board in ruins until the World Cup comes around.

The money Cricket New Zealand is projected to make back from the event in 2003 will more than make up for their decision of spending themselves dry. However, it has left their cricket board in a position where they do not have enough funds to even arrange a flight to Greece, where the Knockout Trophy is being hosted.

Not only has it forced them to withdraw from the tournament, it has also left their scheduled tour to Guernsey in December in jeopardy. Cricket New Zealand will look for sponsors to finance their tour later in the year, but the prospects of that are incredibly bleak considering their failure to do so for the Knockout Trophy, a tour much greater in stature.

Cricket New Zealand submitted their withdrawal to the World Cricket Conference last week. With the tournament mere weeks away from having its first ball bowled, Fédération Française de Criquet was contacted and asked to submit a preliminary squad alongside all needed documentations for the traveling players and officials so the global governing body of the sport could name them as the official replacement.

France are currently ranked 16th in the WCC ODI Team Rankings. They are the best-ranked team to not be in the official draw for the tournament, missing out as Greece (a team ranked below them) qualified ahead of them as tournament hosts. France will play North Korea in their Round of 16 match at The Marina Gouvia in Corfu. Perhaps a blessing in disguise for North Korea who now have a lower-ranked opponent in their first round match due to the financial woes of the 5th-best ODI team in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread