The Press Box | Foreign Bust-Ups may open up the Princes' Gate

Welwyn

County Cricketer
Western-Mail-Article.jpeg

Danish Quick Kings off to Anglesey?
Two Danish stars are expected to be announced as part of the Ynys Mon Islanders squad for 2003 later this week. Fast bowlers Felix Nørregaard & Martin Lundgren are rumored to have been recruited by the BCC to be the overseas players for the Islanders side to help with development of a squad that is considered a psuedo-development squad within the Welsh first class structure.

A source within Welsh Cricket has suggested that they had originally hoped to recruit Felix Nørregaard, luring him with the captaincy that has been vacated by Kev Moore moving to Newport with son Steffan. However, it was Nørregaard himself that suggested he would be able to bring Lundgren, who is considered one of the fastest bowler in world cricket, with him.

Question marks have been raised as to how much it has taken for the BCC to get the pair, who have almost 200 Test wickets between them, to play for the Anglesey-based side. With critics wondering if it involves some of funds that have been received as part of the deal to set up a multi-million pound facility with Aberystwyth University. Especially seeing as the new Danish T20 competition means there are questions marks as to whether either will be involved in the entirety of the Brains One-Day Cup.

World Cricket Conference

Verified Account
Canada rule the Test world; all set to return to No. 1 following Nations League triumph
Their win in the Nations League Final in Kandy secured their first international cricketing honors since the formation of the World Cricket Conference​

WGOv8Dq.png

Martin Terry draped in the Canadian flag, receives a hug from Amish Bakshi © World Cricket Conference, February 23, 2003

In a riveting final showdown at the Asgiriya Stadium in Kandy, Sri Lanka, Martin Terry's Canada scripted a historic chapter in their cricketing lore by defeating England and taking home the 2003 WCC Nations League title in a hard-fought, nail-biting encounter, filled with twists and turns of all kinds. Canada's win in the Nations League Final in Kandy secured their first international cricketing honors since the formation of the World Cricket Conference itself, let alone Cricket Canada.

Led by the exceptional leadership of captain Martin Terry, Canada showcased their mettle throughout the tournament, notably dismantling European teams on their path to glory. Their journey to the title was marked by resounding victories over formidable opponents like Wales, Guernsey, Denmark, and eventually England in the final.

Martin Terry's unmatched display of all-round brilliance proved instrumental in Canada's triumph. Amassing a staggering 693 runs, the highest individual tally in the tournament, while also claiming 20 wickets, Terry's contributions were the backbone of Canada's success. His exceptional performances throughout the tournament earned him the Player of the Match awards in all four of Canada's victorious encounters, solidifying his status as one, if not the, Greatest of All Time.

However, Canada's path to victory was far from smooth sailing, with England proving to be formidable adversaries. In a thrilling encounter, England's Richard Carolyne showcased his bowling wizardry, claiming a remarkable 6-wicket haul in Canada's second innings, injecting a sense of uncertainty into the match.

Despite a valiant effort by the English side, led by captain Richard Head's breathtaking innings of 165 runs during the run-chase, they fell agonizingly short of the ultimate prize. The closely contested finale saw England fight tooth and nail, displaying immense resilience until the very last moments of the match.

Although Canada emerged triumphant, the 2003 WCC Nations League Final highlighted the remarkable spirit of cricket, with both teams demonstrating exemplary sportsmanship and skill on and off the field. While Canada celebrated their historic milestone as only the second team to win the coveted title, England can take pride in their remarkable journey as underdogs, showcasing their potential to compete at the highest level of international cricket and be worthy challengers.

The 2003 WCC Nations League Final will be remembered as a testament to the enduring allure of cricket, where moments of brilliance and heart-stopping drama captivate audiences worldwide. As the nation of Canada falls in love with cricket all over again, basking in the glory of their historic Nations League victory, the tournament serves as a reminder of the power of sport to unite nations and inspire future generations of cricketers around the globe.

Welwyn

County Cricketer

Anger over 'mis-use of funds'
Some observers are raising concerns about how the funds from the 'multi-millon pound deal' that led to the creation of the Aberystwyth Avengers are being used by the Welsh governing body after the first-class squads were announced last week.

While news of a state of the art facility in mid-Wales have been welcomed, there has been questioned asked about how much of the money is being funneled into the infrastructure after some of the world's biggest international stars were announced in the domestic squads.

Not only is England star, WG Charles named in the Avengers squad, he was joined by Bermudan star, Wendell Corden-Cox, who will be staring against Wales on next weeks tour. As well as this, the Avengers squad includes two of Charles' family members and the two sons of 80's England star all-rounder, Ian Beef. All four of them qualify as domestic players due to Welsh parentage.

Other eyebrows have been raised at the announcement of two of the world's best bowlers, Denmark's Felix Nørregaard and Martin Lundgren, being announced in the Islanders squad, despite not being available for any of the Brains One-Day Cup.

One anonymous source at another club called it a 'mis-use of funds' to sign them and they 'would certainly be on a pretty penny to come here for the summer, as would Corden-Cox'.

Another source took aim at the fact that so many players who qualify as domestic, may not be available for the national team;

"We have WG Charles' twins and Ian Beef's sons, both of whom I would imagine would see themselves as English. Then we have the ludicrous situation where Abertawe (PR) have two dual-citizens (Dylan Fakatou & Rhys Mitimiti) who are openly stating that they would reject a call-up and Ducky's cousin (Trevor Donald) in Colwyn Bay, who could choose Vanuatu over us. We have a crazy situation where we have increased the teams and yet on a week to week basis, may well have less players each week who could play for the national team.'

mohsin7827

International Cricketer
India
CSK
Birmingham Phoenix
X Rebels
Qatar has joined the list of countries hosting their own T20 competition
QSL copy.png

Qatar has joined the list of countries hosting their own T20 competition, with the Qatar Cricket Association (QCA) announcing the launch of the Qatar Stars League (QSL).
The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in this regard was signed on Thursday, and the first edition of the league is set to take place this month.

Reflecting on this development, QCA chief executive Hani Taleb Ballan stated that four teams, including 60 Qatari and 8 foreign cricketers, will play a total of 16 matches in the first-ever QSL. He also mentioned that the league will follow a regular season and playoff format, with each team having a chance to claim the trophy.

In an interview with Peninsula Sports, Ballan further revealed that there were divided thoughts among the board members regarding the league. The new format of cricket is still in its early stages, and there were discussions about whether it would be well-received by traditional cricket fans. There were also discussions about scheduling the league during the Amir Cup Qatar First Class cricket competition on weekends, but ultimately, the QCA decided to hold it during the free season in April. The two-week-long competition will begin in the third week of April, and the QCA hopes it will attract fans and be well-received.
To ensure the success of the league, the QCA has also extended the opening hours of the parks in all four stadiums and is planning various expos. Additionally, children up to the age of seven will have free passes to attend the matches.

Below is a list of foreign players participating in the league:
Al Daayen: Khuzaimah Rasheed (Saudi Arabia), Vincent Garae (Vanuatu)
Doha: Moses Kintaro (Marshall Islands), Abelard Tommy (Vanuatu)
Al Rayyan: Sok Se-Yoon (North Korea), Archie Rogers (Australia)
Al Khor: Ankara Messi (Argentina), Colin Joseph (Guyana)

Peninsula Sports

Welwyn

County Cricketer
1710095956664.png
A Logo of Waste
Those that are questioning Welsh Cricket's use of funds in the increase of international stars in domestic cricket were up in arms this week as Ynys Mon Islanders received a new logo.

image.png

New Islanders logo

'A complete waste of money' was one retort whilst another went further calling it a 'fraud' on the Welsh Cricketing public. Saying that the design team Ais Labie Ltd. have benefitted from money that would be much better used elsewhere.

There were some, more positive comments, with the Islanders fan club calling it a 'vast improvement'.

BCC's official comment is only to say that the redesign has 'long been in the works' and was 'part of the structural changes to the domestic system'.

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Boys
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Martin Lundgren set to retire from international cricket
following the Cricket World Cup

April 15, 2003

1001751-20211020111724.jpg

With 170 wickets across all international formats, Martin Lundgren is among the top bowlers in the world.

Premier fast-bowler and Knockout Trophy winner Martin Lundgren has announced his retirement from international cricket following the Cricket World Cup to be held towards the fag end of the year. "Perhaps I have overstayed my welcome but I always gave my 100% irrespective of the opponent or situation."

Lundgren was part of the lineup who were involved in Denmark's international debut. While he started on a good note, his performances weren't optimal and after a poor domestic season, he was unceremoniously dropped from the squad for 2000's India tour of Denmark. But surprisingly, he was recalled for the Knockout Trophy. And it was a move which paid rich dividends as the (then) 13th-ranked ODI nation usurped over some of the biggest names in cricket like South Africa and Canada to win their maiden WCC tournament. Lundgren played a pivotal role in the win with 8 wickets along with Noah Bendtsen (10). It was a testament to his fitness and work ethic to overcome poor form and deliver at the biggest stage. And he made the year 2000 more memorable for Denmark fans by winning the European Championship less than 2 months later. Needless to say he has been a regular for Denmark across formats since then.

The Lundgren-Nørregaard bowling partnership has been a stable of Danish cricket since time immemorial but the year would mark its end. How has Felix responded to the news? "He said to me "Now how I'll get any wickets. You building the pressure on batters is the reason why I get scalps at the other end". This is our fifth year and he is like a little brother to me always asking for advice even though he is the better bowler. He is very supportive of me and has always helped in the dark times like when I was out of the international side. I'll miss bowling with him and even though I'm senior than him in age, he will always be the bigger bowler for me."

Lundgren further added, "I am grateful to my coaches and captains for trusting me and always helping me when I feel down. I wouldn't be the same without all of your support. Also to the fans for putting their faith and giving so much love to me and the team. Without me, Danish Cricket will be the same. Without it, I would be nothing."

So, what is in store for Martin Lundgren in his next chapter of life? "At the moment, my only focus is the Cricket World Cup. I haven't made much plans for what I'll be doing after. I will still play domestic cricket as I have made a promise to the Hovedstaden fans that I will win them the FC championship. And after all of this, I will probably go back to my village in Herlev and work on my farms with my family. The yield has been good this year so I am excited."

Welwyn

County Cricketer

Foreign Bust-Ups may open up the Princes' Gate
Aberystwyth Avengers star Bermudian, Wendell Corden-Cox has left Wales before their home game against Bae Colwyn Pirates this week after rumours of a bust-up with Captain/part-owner William George Charles.

The official explanation is that Corden-Cox has left because of a side-strain picked up in the small run chase against Raja Caerdydd, meaning he will miss both the next two rounds before the Championship breaks up before the 2003 EUROCON Euro Cup. However, reports suggest that Cordon-Cox was apoplectic that Charles', who will miss the last two rounds of the Princes' Gate championship due to the 'Auld Enemy' ODI series between England and Scotland, wanted to pay the Bermudian extra to pull out of the NASACU Americas Championship and stay in Wales for those last two games.

However, the Pre-season favourites and Brains One-Day Cup winners are not the only ones coping with bust-ups as leaders Abertawe PR are dealing with their own issues as star keeper-batsman Haitrosene Vemoa is apparently not speaking to captain Tom Donald after their draw against Newport Exiles when they finished just 15 runs short of winning before running out of time despite Vemoa's late hitting. Niuean star Vemoa looked upset in the pavilion as Dewi Hemp scratched around for a 63-ball 10 and it appears Vemoa felt that he should have been elevated above Hemp for the chase and feels it has cost PR 14 points.

While there are no signs that Vemoa is going to miss the game in Anglesey against Ynys Mon Islanders this week, the last straw appears to be the rumour that he will now bat below back-up keeper Tony Davey in that game as Donald wants to get a good look at Davey before the final three games of the season where Abertawe will be missing both Vemoa and Duken Talaiti due to their own national team duties.

Users who are viewing this thread