Draft: The Quiz Draft - Redux

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
A couple of years ago, @Aislabie did a Quiz Draft where the aim was to create a good team based on questions he asked. I've spoken to him and gotten permission to do a second one (thanks!), so this is the Quiz Draft - the Redux.

The Rules

- The "winner" of this Draft is the one who completes their team first, BUT...you're still trying to create the best possible team, so I'll probably sim a tournament in Cricket Captain or something afterwards to see who has the "best" team.

- Unless otherwise stated, you're looking to build a Test match team, so your picks must have played Tests if I don't add a specific stipulation.

- All answers to be sent to me via PM and not as comments in this thread.

- If more than one person picks the same player, then nobody gets them.

- The questions will progressively get harder/more obscure as the rounds progress.

- You don't have to pick by batting order, but let me know where you'd like your pick to be in your team. As usual, be sensible, pick players in the roles they'd have actually played in.

- Once I post the question, everyone has three days maximum to PM me. (EDIT: due to my new position at work, this may or may not be actually three days.) If you don't, you miss out on that round. If I get all the answers before the time is up, I'll begin a new round before that time. (Please send your answers in early, this will run on forever if you don't.)

- CricInfo and Wikipedia will be your friend. You won't need a Google mage to answer the questions, at least I'll try not to ask anything too outlandish. There will be some research involved, but hopefully not more than a few minutes at a time.

- A player being invalid for one round can still be valid for subsequent rounds, provided that they are not already in a team and they fulfil the question's requirements.

- I will also be picking a team in the background, just as Aislabie did the first time through. My players are fair game for others, but if someone else picks one of my players then I miss out on that round. I will reveal my team at the end of the Draft. (EDIT: I will reveal my team Round by Round.)

- You can writeup a brief bio/description for your picks if you want when you PM me, but it's not necessary.

The last one took 23 rounds for everyone to complete their teams (and somehow was complete in only a month). If you don't think you'll be able to send in your answers within a few days consistently, please don't sign up for this one. This one can easily go on for months and people will lose interest, so active participation is key.

I generally don't like too many Drafts running all at once, people aren't able to find the time to research and whatnot. But since this is a long-term sort of Draft, I think it can run alongside the others. I'll have this open for signups for at least a week. Even if you can't take part due to real-life stuff, feel free to comment when things get running.

As always, ask any questions that you may have. I'd recommend reading through the original Quiz Draft first, it might clear up some stuff. Again, many thanks to Aislabie for letting me reboot this fantastic idea.

Who's ready?

Participants
1. @ddrap14
2. @Neptune
3. @ahmedleo414
4. @CerealKiller
5. @Aislabie
6. @Yash.
7. @sanchitgarg
8. @Mittal2002

The teams thus far

@ddrap14
:sri: Mahela Jayawardene :bat:
:nz: Richard Hadlee :ar:
:aus: Adam Gilchrist :wkb:
:ind: Mohammed Siraj :bwl:
:sri: Kumar Dharmasena :ar:

@Neptune
:eng: Len Hutton :bat:
:aus: Fred "the Demon" Spofforth :bwl:
:wi: George Headley :bat:
:saf: Keegan Petersen :bat:

@ahmedleo414
:aus: Shane Warne :bwl:
:ind: Kapil Dev :ar:
:aus: Donald Bradman :bat:
:nzf: Devon Conway :bat:

@CerealKiller
:pak: Wasim Akram :bwl:
:ind: Shubman Gill :bat:
:ind: Srinivas Venkat :bwl:

@Aislabie
:sri: Kumar Sangakarra :wkb:
:eng: George Lohmann :bwl:
:nzf: Jack Cowie :bwl:

@Yash.
:eng: Wally Hammond :bat:
:saf: Graeme Pollock :bat:

@sanchitgarg
:aus: Mark Taylor :bat:
:saf: Shaun Pollock :ar:
:wi: Joel Garner :bwl:

@Mittal2002
:eng: Graham Gooch :bat:
:pak: Imran Khan :ar:
:saf: Barry Richards :bat:
:saf: Kyle Verreynne :bat:

@qpeedore's extra team
:wi: Chris Gayle :bat:
:eng: Stuart Broad :bwl:
:wi: Malcolm Marshall :bwl:
:ind: Washington Sundar :ar:
:wi: Gerry Gomez :ar:

Unavailable players

Mahela Jayawardene
Len Hutton
Kumar Sangakarra
Wally Hammond
Mark Taylor
Graham Gooch
Chris Gayle
Shane Warne
Fred Spofforth
Richard Hadlee
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Shaun Pollock
Imran Khan
Stuart Broad
Adam Gilchrist
George Headley
George Lohmann
Don Bradman
Graeme Pollock
Joel Garner
Barry Richards
Malcolm Marshall
Mohammed Siraj
Keegan Petersen
Devon Conway
Shubman Gill
Kyle Verreynne
Washington Sundar
Kumar Dharmasena
Srinivas Venkat
Jack Cowie
Gerry Gomez

Round 1 - Test triples
Round 2 - Hat tricks
Round 3 - Opening bowlers who can bat too
Round 4 - Wisden Cricketers of the Year
Round 5 - Pandemic debuts
Round 6 - Players turned umpires

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Wow okay, didn't expect so many participants so quickly. Gonna have to limit this to a maximum of 10 people, otherwise the chance of double picks becomes too great. Two more needed.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I moved to a different department at work, so I'll be pulling some serious shifts between tomorrow and Friday. Doesn't seem like there's any more entrants though, so I'll start this one from now.

@ddrap14 @Neptune @ahmedleo414 @CerealKiller @Aislabie @Yash. @sanchitgarg @Mittal2002

You have until Friday, 18th June at midday GMT. All answers to be sent to me via PM. Remember, if there are any double picks or higher, everyone misses out on that player for this round.

If anyone else wants to join in, just post here and send in your answer as with everyone else.

Round 1

We're starting off extremely easy here.

Pick a triple centurion.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I got all 8 picks in, so it's fair game to start the second round. This first question was easy, but still somewhat loaded. I wanted to see who would go for the obvious first up, and true to my theory, it did happen.

I did say that I'd reveal my team at the end, but there's no harm in letting my picks be known on a round-by-round basis. Now, a little bit of clarification on my picks. Because I know what the questions are, I picked a player immediately, and that pick cannot change. If one of you picks that player, then you get him and I consider the round a miss for me. If two or more pick him, then everyone involved misses out, including myself.

All valid picked players are ineligible for the rest of the Draft, but invalid players are still eligible.

(Doing the breakdown in order of signup for the Draft.)

1. @ddrap14 - Mahela Jayawardene: 374 vs. South Africa
This was a really good pick, and your reasoning behind the pick was very good too. People don't really associate him with having scored a triple, even though they might remember the partnership with Sangakarra.

2. @Neptune - Len Hutton: 364 vs. Australia
Hutton was an amazing batsman, and his 364 was the backbone of what is the second highest team Test score ever. 900 runs and then some. Wow. Sounds like a Cricket 07 sort of score.

3. @ahmedleo414 - Don Bradman: 334 vs. England and 304 vs. England
Well, Bradman was bound to be picked by someone. Too bad he ended up getting picked by more than one someone.

4. @CerealKiller - Don Bradman
See above. Tried the reverse psychology tactic where you thought everyone else would have avoided him, but didn't quite work out for you this Round.

5. @Aislabie - Kumar Sangakarra: 319 vs. Bangladesh
Scoring his triple against a "weaker" team, it might seem like Sangas is not a statistically good pick, but that's where you're wrong. He has ten other doubles to his name, and added to his wicketkeeping ability, Aislabie has scored a peach of a first pick. (As if he didn't already totally own every single Draft ever.)

6. @Yash. - Wally Hammond: 336* vs. New Zealand
This was a pleasant surprise, I honestly did not think about him, and yet Yash gets one of the GOATs of cricket. He's been a pick Aislabie likes from time to time, good to snatch him away.

7. @sanchitgarg - Mark Taylor: 334* vs. Pakistan
Another pleasant surprise, he didn't even come into my head. He'll cover the place of two slips for the price of one too. I really like this pick from a personal standpoint.

8. @Mittal2002 - Graham Gooch: 333 vs. India
You can't get more English than being out for triple Nelson. An excellent opener and the possessor of one of the better moustaches this side of Merv Hughes and David Boon, he's a top-class pick.

9. @qpeedore - Chris Gayle: 333 vs. Sri Lanka and 317 vs. South Africa
I had to go with a West Indian, and when Gayle was ready, he showed you that he could bat long innings and not just biff the ball to all corners. His 333 in particular was an example of the concentration he was capable of, and I must have watched every minute of it live.

Notable misses: Brian Lara, Virender Sehwag, Garry Sobers.

The teams thus far (also listed in the first post):

@ddrap14
:sri: Mahela Jayawardene :bat:

@Neptune
:eng: Len Hutton :bat:

@ahmedleo414
none

@CerealKiller
none

@Aislabie
:sri: Kumar Sangakarra :wkb:

@Yash.
:eng: Wally Hammond :bat:

@sanchitgarg
:aus: Mark Taylor :bat:

@Mittal2002
:eng: Graham Gooch :bat:

@qpeedore's extra team
:wi: Chris Gayle :bat:

Unavailable players (also listed in the first post):

Mahela Jayawardene
Len Hutton
Kumar Sangakarra
Wally Hammond
Mark Taylor
Graham Gooch
Chris Gayle

I'm working a 24-hour shift tomorrow into Friday, and again on Sunday into Monday. So you have until...Monday, 21st June to send in your next picks. If everyone has sent their picks earlier than that, I'll start another Round. But definitely not until halfway through Friday.

We started off with batsmen, let's move to the bowlers. Again, an easy one.

Round 2:

Pick a bowler with a Test hat trick.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Discussion on the first round picks is open. If I made any mistakes with the picks, let me know. I'm technically supposed to be asleep from about 3 hours ago, but I've had my share of power naps during the day, so I'm ready to go when 6am hits and I need to be in work for 8am.

Neptune

Panel of Selectors
Avengers
Garry Sobers was a huge miss. Thought for sure that someone would go for him. Happy with getting Hutton though

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The only reason I didn't go for Sobers, was I was sure someone was gonna pick him (read @Aislabie )...

Users who are viewing this thread