Tilakaratne Dilshan as a Captain

Anjula

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
We all know that Sri-Lanka Haven't won a single series since Dilshan Appointed as the captain. Some say that his captain career will end after the South African tour, but , know that he have won a Test vs SA, They think that Dilshan Need another chance.His average is also gone down since he appointed as the captain.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It's hard to judge atm with the pay crisis SL is facing, how much of an influence is that having compared to Dilshan as captain.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Another factor is Dilshan's age - he's 35 now and if he's not getting good results, then I can't see the point in persisting with him. I guess he's an OK stopgap until they identify who the long term captain should be. Must be Mathews right?

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
He is not a cool captain and doesn't lead the side properly in many things like field placings and makes poor decisions many times.His poor form is not a surprise to me.Many batsmen become captain first batsman later when appointed as captain.Prime examples are Brian Lara,Stephen Fleming,Tendulkar also before and Inzamam-ul-Haq.They think of the team first and as a batsman later.

Ahmad Shah

Panel of Selectors
He's not been a good player since he was appointed as the captain of Srilankan Cricket Team and hasn't been at his best,he is 35 but still he can do much better than he has been doing since he's become the captain.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
crap, dilshan axed and they've asked mahela to be captain again.

now, this is good because it's something I've thought they should have done all through dilshan's reign. mahela responded brilliantly to being captain, his average was over 60 when he was captain and he was an astute tactician (usually, he had his moments, not least choosing to field first in australia)

why it's bad is I didn't expect it to happen and I'll now probably be proved an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about.

ideally mahela can carry it long enough for one to be identified out of the younger players, mathews, tharanga and chandimal would be the obvious choices but they all need a few more years of test cricket, especially seeing as one of them made his debut a month ago and the other isn't even in the test team yet.

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
It makes no sense to have had Jaya as captain for the Oz ODIs. Jaya as Test captain with a younger person taking over the ODI reigns would have been ideal. Also, Dilshan never looked like a great captain, his age was also not on the brigther side that he would have led them into 2015.
Their best bet would have been to ask Sanga to continue as a Test skipper with Mathews taking over in ODIs. Lanka is going through a torrid period and they ought to believe in youth now.

Users who are viewing this thread