Tim Southee

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
First of guys I would like to say that I went to tonight's ODI and while there I was talking, well a group of us were talking to a NZ Coach or manager. Anyways someone asked where they found Thompson from and how could he replace Southee. The coach/manager guy said Southee needed a rest before the test series began and him bowling on roads will not help him. Then he went on to say that Southee has increased his pace from 135-140 to 140-145. And the only reason he doesn't bowl that fast in games is that his wrist posistion changes to much and he looses all of his swing. He was saying that he and others think Southee in one to two years will be bowling around 145+ constanly and he just has to get in better shape, meaning he just has to buff up abit.

Sounds promising, but I would hate for him to loose his swing. I think it would be better if he waited a few years to gain his pace and not screw up his action.

What do you guys think?

Swing will always get good players out but as far Southee goes he really has not been swinging it much lately so maybe pace in the tests would help we really need some quicker bowlers.

On another note I was also at the game, did you happen to see the brawl between the Indian and NZ supporters on the main embankment during NZ's batting power play? At least NZ won that part of the evening. :D

Fitness will be the key for Southee. I remember watching his debut against England when he took that 5fer. He bowled beautifully in the first innings, but when it came to backing up and doing it again he couldn't. Looked down on pace and didn't look threatening. If he can gain a couple of mph, keep his swing and then get fit enough to back up day after day then he'll be a class act. Until then he's just a mediocre Test bowler that'll pick up a few good hauls on green tracks.

Exactly, he's not been great in any second innings. It will come. You can't thrust a 19 year old in and expect the finished product. They need to keep faith in him and he'll improve. Get Shane Bond to mentor him. He can swing the ball AND bowl at pace. Perfect!

If Southee can swing the ball then that's all i'd ask of him really. mid 130s with swing is fine. If he can up it a bit that'd be ideal. Just don't want him spending everything in the opening spell like he has previously.

I'm a big fan of Southee. He has an X-Factor and a good head on his sholders (he never lost it when he got spanked for 100 the other night, he doesn't blame fielders when they mis-field and do stuff like that). When he came out and smashed that 77* or whatever it was in his first game I knew he was one day going to be world class. He's just a natural.

Yeh, get Bond back in, and an attack of Southee, Bond, Vettori, Oram and then possibly O'Brien could be a cracking line-up. Just wish Bond hadn't joined the ICL, or the ICC would sanction it as a proper tournament so the ICL players can return to international cricket.

At 19 years old, he is a player of great potential. If he combines his increasing speed with swing and accuracy, these three ingredients make a great test fast bowler.

We all do haha. Bond is one of the most looked at profiles currently on cricinfo. His name is at the bottom. I guess this recent India-NZ series has kinda made people wonder what he's up to.

We needed him badly. Simple as that. Imagine if SA lost Dale Steyn to the ICL tomorrow. It would hurt them pretty bad (though not as bad because they seem to produce more world class performers)

Yeh, get Bond back in, and an attack of Southee, Bond, Vettori, Oram and then possibly O'Brien could be a cracking line-up. Just wish Bond hadn't joined the ICL, or the ICC would sanction it as a proper tournament so the ICL players can return to international cricket.

Oram is pretty over-rated these days. He hasn't been playing much recently and has not exactly been setting the world on fire for quite some time now, especially with the ball. Very injury prone as well. At the moment he would make it back into the New Zealand line up because their batting is very, very weak, but in a stronger team he would be so far off being selected. He would just be a first class cricketer in Australia, for example, despite our need for a good allrounder (well, not out need, but our obsession of having an allrounder in the line up).

It's much the same as with Mitchell Johnson. He first looked to bowl faster and then a fair bit later, work on the variations that was done off the field has come to fruition. Everyone has a project in the nets.

I don't think a bowler really has to worry about swing if he can bowl accurately at pace and jag the odd ball off the seam. It's also clear that what Southee has been bowling lately doesn't do the damage often enough. However, wrist position is very important. If it's that bad, then he might lose a lot of accuracy and he might struggle to hit the seam. He might be caught between a rock and a hard place for a little while.

Dale Steyn is a good example of this. When he started out he bowled 145-152Kph regularly, had terrible control and less swing. He now averages about 142-144Kph and we know what a improvement that has made.

On another note I was also at the game, did you happen to see the brawl between the Indian and NZ supporters on the main embankment during NZ's batting power play? At least NZ won that part of the evening. :D

No i didn't see this, i only watched brief highlights.

What happened exactly?

He is great future for new zealand , he just learn how bowler in test and odi. I think he need learn how to swing with wrist and need learn out of places and how bowl in pitch (sri lanka, india and aussie). He need bulid his fitness now. i do believe he will no1 nz bowler future since shane bond.

shame bond not more play NZ and wish he not join ICL :(

No i didn't see this, i only watched brief highlights.

What happened exactly?

Not 100% sure what started it but a full on fist fight between 6 or 7 fans erupted it lasted for a couple of balls before the cops were on the scene and dragged 3 of the Indian supporters out of the ground. It was only 2 at first but then the crowd starting yelling "THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT" then he was also dragged out. :D

Not 100% sure what started it but a full on fist fight between 6 or 7 fans erupted it lasted for a couple of balls before the cops were on the scene and dragged 3 of the Indian supporters out of the ground. It was only 2 at first but then the crowd starting yelling "THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT" then he was also dragged out. :D

Lol, always good to hear. :p

Users who are viewing this thread