Tour match thread -Scotland v Australia Aug 28

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I wouldn't read anything into this match really. Sussex have put out a very weak side, and Australia haven't really needed to show any form. If Chawla, Collymore, Lewry and Smith had been playing, then Sussex could actually have caused a real upset. The top order batted woefully against a very poor attack in the first innings, and it was upto the tail to show how bad the bowlers actually were. If Sussex had Chawla to come in and spin the tail out, then Sussex would have had a real chance.

The first big test for Australia will come on Wednesday against the Lions. The Lions XI is very strong. A quality bowling attack in Onions, Harmison, Bresnan, Mahmood and Rashid and then a more than decent batting line-up including the likes of Bell, Denly, Solanki, Morgan, Davies and Moore. I'd say it's seriously good 2nd XI personally. A few of these guys could definitely be playing Test cricket in a couple of years. Here's the Lions XI:

1. Joe Denly
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ian Bell *
4. Vikram Solanki
5. Eoin Morgan
6. Stephen Davies +
7. Tim Bresnan
8. Adil Rashid
9. Stephen Harmison
10. Graham Onions
11. Saj Mahmood

Really looking forward to seeing the game actually, really like that Lions XI, some serious talent in that line-up. Hopefully Onions'll pick up a bag full.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Tour matches like these are better for batsmen anyway. You want them to get a few hours at the crease in reasonably sporting conditions, not necessarily play like it's a Test and not necessarily score as many runs as possible. Conversely, when you have 5 bowlers in a shootout, it can incur a certain unnatural system of bowling, because it's not about the match but about the individuals. Based on the bowling order, we can probably assume that Hilfenhaus and Lee are vying for a single spot, while Siddle and Clark are vying for a single spot. If they're not, then it's a bit hard to compare performances, because Lee's been handed 3 brand new balls, while Clark has not had one.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Is Hauritz not actually doing anything? North and Katich have both done better than him so far! Hauritz yet to pick up wicket whereas both North and Katich have done!

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Not anymore they can't drawn match.

Australia reallt put through their paces by an understrength Sussex team.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
After an indifferent start, it looked like the Australians were getting into the game across the middle days, but it actually seems like they switched off again at the end, safe behind a big total. Strategically, it seemed a game that was generally quite favourable to batsmen, but the Australian upper order did just enough, no more. It is definitively unconvincing; it's not enough to rattle the away team's supporters, but it won't scare any home fans either.

One gets the impression that a Ponting or a Clarke might get a rest next week, in addition to Johnson coming into the attack for a warm up, but in addition to personal preparations, they might also look to play a bit tougher against the Lions.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ditching Hauritz, he won't get a game this Ashes it seems... Can't support a bowler who doesn't even bowl.

So Clarky, come on son, do it for us again!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hauritz picked up 1 wicket and was economical, don't know if that is enough though. Hilfy chances are gone I would say after that expensive display and the fact he probably won't be picked in the next tour game.

Clark has been a lot more expensive than I thought he would be. Siddle was the pick of the bowlers again with his economy and wicket.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Haury was good in the second innings which is pleasing to see. Really surprised Clark went for so much as well as going wicketless. Hilfy is probably out of selection unless he plays in the next match and does unbelievably well. Siddle was good in both innings. So far I would go up like this;

Katich
Hughes
Ponting (c)
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin (wk)
Johnson (1)
Hauritz
Siddle (2)
Clark

Pretty much what I have said from the get go i think.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Nielsen has basically confirmed Siddle is a "lock in" for the 1st test. So it is down to the other 2 spots.

I would send an SOS to Hodge as Hussey and North's form isn't great and Watson's batting at Test has been as effective as McDonald.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Updates from the match were saying that Hauritz bowled okay but was let down in the field.

Sureshot

Executive member
I had a perfect position to see Ponting drop an absolute sitter of a catch. Amusing.

Users who are viewing this thread