Track??? Grrr....It's a pitch or wicket for crying out loud

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Just a quick rant about the increasing usage of the word 'track' to refer to the pitch. It's rubbish IMHO. Ravi Shastri uses it ALL the time, Sangakkara said it a lot too and I'm sure I could uncover others if I listened hard. Even the summary article for the Delhi game last night on Cricinfo says "the TRACK had given the spinners assistance".

'Track' is NOT the correct term. Track' has become subcontinent slang and it drives me up the wall. It's a fricken pitch or or a fricken wicket.

Alright rant over, but does anyone agree with me?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Not really. Track is just another word for pitch or wicket.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
It's just another word. Nice to change things up a bit instead of using 'pitch' over and over again.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I dont see anything wrong in using the word 'track' for pitch or wicket. Do you mind exactly telling why you dont agree with the usage of the term 'track' or is it just that the subcontinent slang irks you?

FreddieFan

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Track is less ambiguous than wicket (which also means the stumps and bails) or pitch (which may or may not include the outfield). Admittedly, you can tell which type pitch or wicket is being referred to by context, but being specific is no bad thing.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
It's just an informal variation of 'pitch'. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

King Cricket

International Coach
Don't really get sifter. What's wrong with using the word "track" instead of pitch? The meaning is more or less the same, as far as I'm concerned.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I'd like more context in the use of transport analogies. The pitch at Feroz Shah Kotla is definitely best described as a track. Maybe if it had grass on it you could call it a backyard or a garden path and of course when there's plenty of spin, it's a gravel road or maybe a rally stage. However, a well graded, even surface could be more of a sealed road. A ridiculously good batting track could be then described as a highway, freeway, or expressway, perhaps the latter depending on the pace of the pitch. A seemingly good pitch where runs don't come freely may be stuck in traffic, while a drop in wicket could be some sort of bridge or overpass.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
I dont see anything wrong in using the word 'track' for pitch or wicket. Do you mind exactly telling why you dont agree with the usage of the term 'track' or is it just that the subcontinent slang irks you?

second that !

Users who are viewing this thread