Transparency in Paint Shop Pro 9

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I can't remember how you make an image transparent in PSP 9.
I think i use to:
1. Select the bits i want transparent
2. Selection tab > Load/Save Selection > Save Selection to Alpha Channel
3. Layers tab > Load/Save Mask > Load Mask from Alpha Channel

Image seems transparent. Do i have to save this as any specfic file like tga or can it be jpeg? I haven't tried anything for the cricket 2005 so i can't see if it is transparent yet. But i do notice if i upload an image i tried to make transparent as an avatar it is white background not transparent.

You have to save it as 24 bit tga files. I think the graphic importer will allow importing *.psp file too. For transparent avatar you have to save them as .png or .gif as jpg files doesn't support transparency.

So will bmp show up as transparent? As i will probably need to make some areas transparent in the game.

aussie1st said:
So will bmp show up as transparent? As i will probably need to make some areas transparent in the game.
Only 32 bit bitmaps support transparency, but PSP doesn't support 32 bit bitmaps so you have to use 32 bit tga files. Or else you have do as said in the readme file
If a bitmap with "_a" at the end of its filename exists, FshEd will assume that the bitmap is an 8 bit alpha bitmap, and will open the alpha channel automatically. For example, if you have a file called myimage.bmp (a 24 bit bitmap) and another bitmap exists with the name myimage_a.bmp (an 8 bit indexed image), FshEd will automatically combine the two in memory to make a 32-bit bitmap.

It is million times easier to make transparant bmps using Photoshop rather than Paint Shop.

well ive spent forever trying with photoshop 7 and it refuses to save alpha channels in a bmp. in fact im pretty sure photoshop help specifies it wont save alpha channels in bmp, jpeg, etc, etc.

i can open a bmp that already has the alpha channel, but i want to edit and save.

I use Photoshop CS 2 & I'm able to save BMPs with alpha channels if I save it as 32-bit bmp.

Ok got myself photoshop. I noticed you were able to get the sky sports logo from Ste's sky sports patch. Is it possible for me to do the same with my nine one. I tried converting the tga image to bmp with 32bit. But all i get is a white square.

Attached is the nine logo i made from cricket 04

Attachments

• nine.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 2
angryangy said:
well ive spent forever trying with photoshop 7 and it refuses to save alpha channels in a bmp. in fact im pretty sure photoshop help specifies it wont save alpha channels in bmp, jpeg, etc, etc.

i can open a bmp that already has the alpha channel, but i want to edit and save.
As PSP doesn't support 32bit bitmap, you have to save it as a TGA file and then import it using the fshED.
Ok got myself photoshop. I noticed you were able to get the sky sports logo from Ste's sky sports patch. Is it possible for me to do the same with my nine one. I tried converting the tga image to bmp with 32bit. But all i get is a white square.
Why you want to convert it as a bmp file, with fshED you can directly import that tga file.

oh, it was a technical point i was having trouble with for something else, im not doing any c2005 modding. :)

oh right so i don't even need to convert anything. All i would have to do is edit the tv file. I acutally didnt know there was a tga plugin. Thanks for that makes life a lot easier

Users who are viewing this thread