Umpires

MaD

Chairman of Selectors
So, umpires...
Talk about them here, who's your favourite?
I really love this guy:
425884.html

He's quite unique, inventing his own styles and all,
97097.jpg

He is criticised sometimes...

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
How can you say Rudi Koertzen? No personality, doesn't give a toss about cricket fans and is too old for the job.

For my favourite it's a tricky one, it is between Simon Taufel and Aleem Dar.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Aleem Dar is probably the best in terms of pure umpiring. Simon Taufel in terms of neutrality, and of course Billy Bowden for sheer entertainment.

Umpires getting a bit 'cooler' can help the game imo, at least in the shorter versions of the game. Wearing less formal clothes, more animation in decisions, can all add to the fun of the game.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
How can you say Rudi Koertzen? No personality, doesn't give a toss about cricket fans and is too old for the job.

For my favourite it's a tricky one, it is between Simon Taufel and Aleem

No personality? Clearly wrong. As you are on the second point, other wise he wouldn't be doing his job, and the third is just ageist.

Umpiring at the highest level is a ridiculously difficult thing, and they should be applauded for their efforts towards the game.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
No personality? Clearly wrong. As you are on the second point, other wise he wouldn't be doing his job, and the third is just ageist.

Umpiring at the highest level is a ridiculously difficult thing, and they should be applauded for their efforts towards the game.
Second point - it's exactly his job to maintain the interests of cricket fans. Cricket is not a sport any more, essentially.

Third point is not ageist at all. Age is an important factor for an umpire, football referees have to retire at 46, umpires should have a similar restriction.

P

pcfan123

Second point - it's exactly his job to maintain the interests of cricket fans. Cricket is not a sport any more, essentially.

Third point is not ageist at all. Age is an important factor for an umpire, football referees have to retire at 46, umpires should have a similar restriction.

I disagree with this argument. His job is to officiate the match only, regardless of how many people are in the crowd and whether or not they are being entertained.

I do agree with the age limits, with the ball travelling over 150ks sometimes, it can be difficult as ones eye sight and motor skills diminish with age. However I dont think that really becomes a factor until one is his/her late 50's

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
in theory I don't agree with an age limit thing, i think football ref's have to retire at 46 because refereeing a football match involves running around a lot.

but when it's quite obvious the best two elite umpires by a country mile in the last 3-4 years have been the two youngest on the panel i have to say in practice it seems an age limit should be applied.

Users who are viewing this thread