Various gameplay questions

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's not often I start a thread on here but now we have both RubberGenius and JohnJ visiting the forums regularly, I would like to ask a couple of questions about the new game which I am pretty sure have never been asked directly.

Essentially, I would really like to know what changes have been made to the game engine (we've all seen the lovely graphics!). I would really like to know the following:

1 - What major changes have been made in the batting/bowling parts since the last game? (I wouldn't say adding a sweep shot button counts)

2 - Have there been any changes to the fielders AI in this game, so will we see things like players having balls hit past them before the have proper chance to react (instead of the zero rection times of the last game), will we see balls hit past diving fielders rather than just running, picking up and throwing?

That is all.

I have heard lots about the new little features in the game (sweep shot, fielders throwing to both ends, fielders not always throwing the ball, etc.) but not much about the main parts of the game, like batting and bowling.

If there are no significant improvements in the most important parts of the game (i.e. general batting, bowling and fielding) I would be concerned.

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. I'm not having a go saying these changes haven't been implemented, just throwing some questions out there.

You do know that you can come down the wicket and get stumped now? Also that you can get edges behind off spinners I believe.

Either way, a few of us should be able to let you know in a week and a halfs time :)

im also concerned with the AI batting...we all know they didnt take singles and would usually not go for the run rate.

sami007 said:
im also concerned with the AI batting...we all know they didnt take singles and would usually not go for the run rate.
To be honest though, as that was a major problem last time and because Codies are a company who listen to their customers I think they will have changed this. Infact I think I read in one preview that they had made sure that the AI went for the run rate.

plus dont they ahve an option where you can make the game realistic and tight until the end, i am sure i read that somewhere.

yes intresting questions, I would like better gameplay and not so simple pick up and play. Hitting a ball should feel good and not runs easily for boundries. I played BLC 99 demo and I still think it is the best cricket game up to date.

Another quick question, is there a name editor in the game itself ? as i am getting the 360 version and would like the proper names in test matches ?

King Pietersen said:
Another quick question, is there a name editor in the game itself ? as i am getting the 360 version and would like the proper names in test matches ?
No, I think Codies announced they have got rid of the player name editor, so if you get the 360 version you'll just have to put up with it.

What? That's outrageous!! Why would they take out something in a later version to make the game worse??

Adarsh said:
What? That's outrageous!! Why would they take out something in a later version to make the game worse??

To do with the licences as ever. They took it out because the ICC weren't exactly happy about it and Codemasters can't really afford to be taken to court by the ICC...

That was the one thing I said to Codies at the open day that would put people off most. I'm pretty confident we can edit the PC version, especially now I've cracked the checksum for BLIC05...

There seems to be a bit of confusion about what I'm asking.

An example would be, when bowling, can I just plonk it in short over and over again and hit the batsman on the elbow (pretty accurate bowling there!) again and again.

When I'm batting, if I try to just straight-drive good length balls over and over (pressing defend gets boring after a while) am I likely to get out, unless I'm on top confidence.

So basically, is the game engine and AI the same as in 2005.

lazy_chesnut said:
An example would be, when bowling, can I just plonk it in short over and over again and hit the batsman on the elbow (pretty accurate bowling there!) again and again.

When I'm batting, if I try to just straight-drive good length balls over and over (pressing defend gets boring after a while) am I likely to get out, unless I'm on top confidence.

That would be a first, because in over 20 years of cricket game playing I have never seen a game engine or AI that is that evolved. Sounds such a simple concept but the fact its never been implemented......

Let's hope this indeed is the first.

I think it's a given mate that there will be certain areas that can be exploited, I think cricket is just too complex a game to make without there being certain limitations we, the user, has to apply to ourselves.

I'm just hoping that the addition of the sweep and down the wicket shots, and some tweaks to the spinners and gameplay will take the multiplayer game to the next level. It was already good, so if they get it right will be miles ahead of EA.

Hopefully they can get the Ai right as well, only another week or two 'till I get to find out how it's shaping up, so I'll be able to let you know then ;)

I think Rubber said that they had redone the AI from scratch, and considering they're introducing online play and a new format for the game in the 360 I would guess the engine is more than likely new as well.

Hopefully I get accepted to UWE, and we'll see if banging the ball in short every ball doesn't get you hammered for 6 each time ;)

I believe codemasters way of approaching the straight drive to a good length ball is the best with the different marker colours dictating how easy it is to time the ball.

They said the AI has been revamped, but I believe they mean how the CPU reacts to situations. He said the physics engine is definately not new but tweaked.

I hate the fact in bowling that you can aim ist wherever and it would land there. I believe you should have full control over the bowling cursor but that when you click it, it may move to a worse delivery if the bowler lacks disapline.

Users who are viewing this thread