Video question

formula1man

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
you know how there are illegal video websites that show live cricket or highlights,
1. what makes them illegal
2. if you watch their content is it illegal and could you be arrested even if you didnt know b4?

The chances of you being arrested are EXTREMELY slim. The authorities would be far more worried about people downloading films and music illegally. Sites such as myp2p.eu may be illegal, but there are so many users that the chances of being prosecuted are almost none.

May wanna get rid of that site, Dan. ;)

Not that I don't use it though.

I think it would go in this order.

1. People uploading movies/music/live streams
2. People downloading movies/music
3. People watching movies/music/live streams

you know how there are illegal video websites that show live cricket or highlights,
2. if you watch their content is it illegal and could you be arrested even if you didnt know b4?

1. Because to broadcast cricket you needs television rights (you've heard of how Channel Nine and co. fight to get rights of sports?) It's like that, these sights are doing that without rights.

2. No.

1. So the way cricket mostly works from a telecast point of view is the home board hires a production team to "produce" the games. And they then sell the rights to broadcast the games. Since there are usually large companies bidding for these rights, they tend to package it off by location. For example, ESPN/Star may get the rights for the Indian subcontinent, etc. In addition to all these, many boards also sell the rights for internet coverage for a series/period of time to reach those audiences where cricket is not a mainstream sport. Since there are companies (such as Willow.TV) that bid for those rights, there is money involved. If you are watching it somewhere that did not get the official rights to broadcast the game, it is illegal.

2. Extremely unlikely. To be arrested for watching illegal streams you will have to hope that Willow.TV or the home board are actively looking for violators (which they can't be bothered doing), and that your ISP willingly gives up your contact information. Even if people are looking to prosecute, people that are watching streams are highly unlikely to be pursued since it is the people who are providing the streams who will be more at risk.

but why can't we post youtube links here, I mean we didn't upload those vids, we're just watching like millions of other people?

but why can't we post youtube links here, I mean we didn't upload those vids, we're just watching like millions of other people?

ya cuz its not right and its not legal. i think planetcricket can get in trouble by posting those videos even tho we didnt make them someone did but we are showing them i think

All this legal/illegal nonsense is absolute tripe in my opinion.

The television companies have already made millions on sponsorships and television rights. So they don't depend on the viewers to make money. Many of us who watch videos on the internet also pay for watching television channels, so it's actually ridiculous to say that we watch content for free.

The so-called illegal viewing, in my opinion, has absolutely no effect in relation to live coverage of sports. This is as ridiculous as saying that Pepsi and Coca-Cola have all rights to packaged drinking water so people cannot drink water from their wells any more.

The greed of television companies and media houses is more unethical than watching videos uploaded on the internet.

And remember "legal" and "illegal" are very relative terms. Even the law courts have difficulty in defining jurisdictions of legal/illegal and what is legal or illegal in a given circumstance.

By defining something as "legal" or "illegal" and using terms like "stealing content" the media companies want you to fear their harrassment.

Last edited:
Let me put it to you this way:

Let's say you bought a DVD and invited all of your friends over to watch it with you, but they say no because they can just watch it on the internet without going anywhere. Would you be happy? You spent money so that people would watch it with you, and now no one will.

If the ratings go down, so will the sponsors. On Pay TV on the other hand, they rely on people to buy their sport packages by having good sports. Why would you buy that off them if it's readily available for free over the internet?

Your comparison doesn't really make sense, because the wells in question aren't owned by Coca Cola, just as the actual cricket isn't owned by TV broadcasters. The options are to either buy the water from the store or go to a well and drink it yourself, just as the options are to go to the cricket or watch it on TV. On the other hand, if an exclusivity deal for screening the cricket is reached then more money is spent. Why would you want to pay all that money if other people are streaming it illegally over the internet?

It is illegal, and that's a fact. There may be loopholes that would blur the situation, but this is not one.

Let me put it to you this way:

Let's say you bought a DVD and invited all of your friends over to watch it with you, but they say no because they can just watch it on the internet without going anywhere. Would you be happy? You spent money so that people would watch it with you, and now no one will.

If the ratings go down, so will the sponsors. On Pay TV on the other hand, they rely on people to buy their sport packages by having good sports. Why would you buy that off them if it's readily available for free over the internet?

Your comparison doesn't really make sense, because the wells in question aren't owned by Coca Cola, just as the actual cricket isn't owned by TV broadcasters. The options are to either buy the water from the store or go to a well and drink it yourself, just as the options are to go to the cricket or watch it on TV. On the other hand, if an exclusivity deal for screening the cricket is reached then more money is spent. Why would you want to pay all that money if other people are streaming it illegally over the internet?

It is illegal, and that's a fact. There may be loopholes that would blur the situation, but this is not one.

Your logic is stupid because you're comparing a DVD to a television programme which is totally different.

We customers have already paid to watch TV channels even before the programmes go live on TV. I don't get your logic at all. They TV companies have *already* profited out of me whether I watch all the programmes or not. So what's their problem if I choose to watch it through a more convenient medium like the internet? I'm paying for the damn internet connection as well, not the TV company, so what's their bloody problem?

They make me pay a fixed amount per month merely to receive the television signal. This has got to be the dumbest system on earth, and yet the TV companies aren't satisfied that I'm paying my dues?????

I also suppose you're a qualified lawyer to make such an assertive statement that watching internet videos is illegal.

Man-made laws are about as ambiguous as they get. There's no such certainty in copyright law as you make it out to be. Laws are different in different countries and some countries don't even have a copyright law.

Quote me a single passage in any copyright law that says watching illegal videos is a crime and I'll salute you.

I challenge conventional wisdom because I care about these issues. You, on the other hand, have swallowed this "copyright" propaganda nonsense whole and will assert that watching any uploaded video is illegal just because the TV companies say so.

I dare and challenge every TV company to come forward and sue the video uploading websites successfully.

(I mean a real law made by a country's government, not some stupid end-user license agreement, which is not a binding law)

Last edited:
Quote me a single passage in any copyright law that says watching illegal videos is a crime and I'll salute you.
I think law makers tend to work with the assumption that illegal activities are crimes. Until quite recently, Australian law considered illegal the act of copying a legally bought CD and converting the tracks to mp3 for use on a device such as an iPod. As you can see, it is not simply a matter of paying for access one way and acquiring it through another. The law must proscribe such rights and each country has different laws. Radio broadcasts of cricket are often not streamed over the internet because the rights are far different.

ya cuz its not right and its not legal. i think planetcricket can get in trouble by posting those videos even tho we didnt make them someone did but we are showing them i think
I don't think PC would actually be legally implicated in anything without actually hosting content, but they can be harassed and intimidated. This site isn't anyone's livelihood (at least as far as I know), this is just here for fun. That makes any level of harassment from corporations or authorities not worth anyone's while. If a large, well funded body threatened legal action, it would not matter much if the case is weak. Who is going to pay to defend PC?

This connects with certain issues surrounding the Recording Industry Association of America. One thing I will tell you about the RIAA is that they're not looking to get just you. If they go after someone, it has to be worth the effort. Most people are not worth it, whether it is because their ISP doesn't give out their details or because they are internet savvy and don't get sucked in by obvious RIAA plants. A quick google search can tell you the sorts of people they managed to get to. There are plenty of ridiculous suits against old ladies, like a grandmother who lets her grandchildren use her computer, where they download a few mp3s.

They're also good targets because they have no money, don't understand their rights on the issue and don't want to fight. Going to court is expensive even for the plaintiff, but settling out of court isn't as much, even though a judge might award more money. While a hardened netizen might scoff at someone being 'caught with as many as 1000 songs', the average newspaper reader gets a fright. It also comes across in the papers as if they could have used the law, but showed mercy on poor granny.

The RIAA managed to launch hundreds of lawsuits, but the practice has ground to a halt on the back of some stumbling blocks. One prominent issue is that the method by which they used to determine if a transaction could turn up a very false positive. One person was accused of using the p2p program Kazaa, when they owned a Mac that was not capable of connecting to Kazaa. One more notable case involved a deceased target. The publicity was quite bad and they discovered that there were indeed people who were willing to fight back. A single court case could be worth 20 successful settlements and take five years to finish.

More recently, the music sharing community oink.me.uk was brought down by a police raid. The community was based on BitTorrent, a p2p program where users host the content that is transferred and no server is required to host the shared files. At this point, none of the 180,000 users have reported legal problems. This is to some degree because operators of such sites have a choice of countries to host their site from and thus choose one that protects their interests the best. Because that country is never the USA, American companies have a hard time getting the data from the shutdown of a major piracy ring.

I think law makers tend to work with the assumption that illegal activities are crimes. Until quite recently, Australian law considered illegal the act of copying a legally bought CD and converting the tracks to mp3 for use on a device such as an iPod. As you can see, it is not simply a matter of paying for access one way and acquiring it through another. The law must proscribe such rights and each country has different laws. Radio broadcasts of cricket are often not streamed over the internet because the rights are far different.

I think "illegal" is different from "crime" in most laws. Many things are illegal which don't constitute a crime. For example an illegal action might violate a civil law, which doesn't deal with crimes and might not be punishable under criminal law. Example, illegal hoardings (advertising boards) in cities are not crimes. They have to be dealt with by the civic authorities. Similarly staying in a house without paying rent is illegal, but the tenant can be sued under civil law only and cannot be arrested or imprisoned because he's not committed a crime. The landlord has to go to civil courts to get justice.

That's why they have different levels of even crimes like misdemeanors, felony and so on.

But on the whole, I agree with your analysis. The law (ambiguous as it is) is used as a weapon of fear and intimidation by the big companies against the small individuals regardless of the merit of the case.

Most people are ignorant of civil and criminal law and the differences between the two.

Last edited:
Your logic is stupid because you're comparing a DVD to a television programme which is totally different.

We customers have already paid to watch TV channels even before the programmes go live on TV. I don't get your logic at all. They TV companies have *already* profited out of me whether I watch all the programmes or not. So what's their problem if I choose to watch it through a more convenient medium like the internet? I'm paying for the damn internet connection as well, not the TV company, so what's their bloody problem?

They make me pay a fixed amount per month merely to receive the television signal. This has got to be the dumbest system on earth, and yet the TV companies aren't satisfied that I'm paying my dues?????

TRPs. That's their problem. Even if you've subscribed to a channel, they would still want you to watch cricket on TV rather than on the internet so they've higher TRPs and consequently draw greater advertising and hence can earn profits over and above what they've paid to purchase rights of telecasting cricket matches.

If they cannot recover their money, then we may have a situation [however remote it may seem] when cricket wouldn't be deemed to be a profitable business for TV networks. Please remember that the entire international cricket setup is currently based by and large on TV revenue, and if you kill this cash cow, then you don't have money to pay players and administrators, and to further develop and promote the game.

I dare and challenge every TV company to come forward and sue the video uploading websites successfully.
I think we have an analogous situation in the music industry, which successfully sued napster and other file sharing services because if users just share tracks over the internet, then they're not buying albums anymore and basically the entire financial model on which the music industry runs faces risk of ruin.

I think it's ridiculous to ban online streams. I'll take India as an example to make my point. Internet connections are not of very high standards in India and to obtain what you (UK/USA) would consider a less than decent internet connection actually costs quite a bit (to be able to watch these legal/illegal online streams). If those same people could fork out that type of money, they are equally capable of buying satellite television (Tata Sky, Dish TV). The people who watch these streams are generally students who have no other option because they're not in a financial position to be able to continuously subscribe for paid online streams. Hence, they look to the easiest option which is illegal streams.

I myself, live in Venezuela. It is not possible to obtain a satellite connection in Venezuela and that is why I resort to using streams. I use illegal streams because I find it quite silly to pay for the same thing that I can watch for free however I'm sure it'll be a different story when I'm not living with my parents and am in college/university. If there was a satellite connection that broadcasted cricket matches, I'm sure my father would have no second thoughts.

Bottom line, generally, people are forced to resort to such streams and it is not a choice, but a compulsion.

Users who are viewing this thread