Virat Kohli- The Captain

icyman

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I can appreciate your thoughts here. I posted earlier that perhaps MSD still is India’s best captain ever. Thanks for the explanation.
Perhaps in the early 2010's, yes! He started losing his touch thereafter and wasn't capable of building a team for the future. With MSD, a same crop of players would play, whereas a majority of budding stars were left in the lurch.
Similarly I can sense Rohit being the better option as a captain for India in blues. Again he is not MSD but he is quite there*. Like almost.
Agree! Over the last few years, it seems that Rohit has led India in more T20 than Virat. Plus, his style of captaincy would free up Virat. Personally, I feel Virat needs to let go of the reigns if he is unable to bring home the WT20 this time round.

NilayShah60

TPCL management
India
NZ....
Mumbai Indians
DD.....
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
I think few members aren't pleased with the things I have put up in this thread. I've clearly mentioned in the first post that these are my views and I am open to accepting other's thought out opinions. Also I don't think I have ever promoted any hate against Virat Kohli in any of my posts. There is not one post where I have been open about my hate regarding Kohli(just to state the fact that I don't hate him either). Also you can clearly see most of the things I have written are just mere facts.

I would actually welcome any counter arguments if there are any but those doesn't include illogical trolls or getting personal with someone's likes/dislikes about a particular player.

Untouchables_666

Banned
Wild Force
Profile Flag
India
I have engaged some short arguments with other members of this thread, including Nilay. It is a very well designed thread with some very good, useful information.

We need to appreciate the great work and research done in this thread by @NilayShah60 and its unfortunate that some are accusing him of ‘hating Virat’. Thats not cool man and need to stop making @NilayShah60 upset about being ill equipped and unable to debate with other members who may seem ‘trolling’ because they share an opposite thinking to him.

So back on the subject at hand. Any overseas captaining a side in England for 5 test matches is a difficult task and this series could be the one that cements Virat’s legacy as the greatest Test captain India has produced.

NilayShah60

TPCL management
India
NZ....
Mumbai Indians
DD.....
Avengers
Profile Flag
India

Chapter 24: First ever series win in South Africa

272777.jpg

The 3-match Test Series in South Africa were going to be a followed by a 6-match ODI series and a 3-match T20I series. Kohli and his men were hungry for a victory after being humiliated in the Test Series and making a dream comeback in Johannesburg. AB de Villiers was injured before the series and was ruled out for the first 3 matches. So this was a good chance for the Indians to conquer South Africa.

The first match of the series was going to be played at Kingsmead in Durban. India had a poor record playing in Durban against South Africa losing 6 out of 7 games and one match being abandoned. South Africa won the toss on a dry pitch and elected to bat first. They were off to a good start scoring 30 runs off 7 overs but just when they were looking to accelerate Jasprit Bumrah dismissed Hashim Amla for just 16. De Kock and du Plessis brought South Africa into a decent position as they were 83/1. Kohli decided to bring in the spinners into the attack and it paid off as Chahal got De Kock ofr 34. Couple of overs later Chahal got Markram out for 9. Kuldeep Yadav got out JP Duminy from the other end for 12 and David Miller for 7. Suddenly, South Africa were reduced to a 134/5. South Africa needed a partnership now. du Plessis and Morris did just that as Morris made 37. The South African skipper du Plessis went beserk in the last 10 overs as he went on to score 120 taking South Africa to 269/8 in their 50 overs. Probably 30-40 more runs than what it looked like at one stage. This could've well been the difference. However, Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan were off to a flyer as India scored 30 in just 5 overs. Rohit went for a shot one too many as he got out for 20 trying to hit Morkel over mid-off. Dhawan also ran himself out for 35 on Kohli's call. At 67/2, it seemed like the Indians were panicking and South Africa seemed like a couple of wickets away from putting enormous pressure on India. Rahane joined hands with Kohli. Both rotated the strike sensibly until few overs. As India took a commanding position both Rahane and Kohli started to hit boundaries all around the park and South Africa lost their morale. Rahane was dismissed for 79 but Kohli went on to score 112. India chased down 270 in just 45.3 overs winning the match by 6 wickets.

The second match was going to be played at Centurion. South Africa lost their skipper Faf du Plessis just a couple of days before the match. Markram was given the Captaincy which was actually pretty hard on the youngster. Markarm had hardly established himself in the ODI team and to give him the Captaincy could've proved to be disastrous. India won the toss and elected to field first. The pitch seemed similar to the one at Durban so probably this was a good call. South Africa was off to an extremely slow start. Just went they tried to enforce the scoring they lost Amla on 20 caught behind by Dhoni off Bhuvi's bowling. Kohli brought Chahal in the 13th over. Chahal got De Kock and Kuldeep got stand-in skipper Markram from the other end. The other Proteas batsmen looked clueless to the turning ball as they collapsed from 51/1 to 99/5 and eventually were bowled out for a miserable 118. This still happens to be South Africa's lowest score in their ODI history. Chahal's 5/22 and Kuldeep's 3/20 took South Africa apart. India comfortably won that match by 9 wickets.

Another injury to the South African camp as De Kock was now ruled out for the rest of the series along with Faf du Plessis. South Africa were almost an inexperienced team now. The 3rd ODI was to be played at Cape Town which is South Africa's fortress in this format as they had won 28 of the 33 matches played here losing just 5 matches. South Africa won the toss and elected to field first on a slightly quicker surface than the last 2 matches. India lost Rohit without a run on the board. At 4/1, Kohli was given out by the umpire and it seemed India were in a spot of bother for the first time in the series. Kohli reviewed the decision and a big inside edge was found on the ultra-edge technology. Dhawan and Kohli put on 140 runs for the 2nd wicket. Dhawan scored 79 runs. However, India just lost their way as they were now 236/6 in 43 overs. Kohli scored his 33rd ODI hundred. He and Bhuvneshwar Kumar put on an unbeaten partnership of 67 run for the 7th wicket and Kohli was unbeaten on 160. This was the highest ever score in an ODI match by an Asian batsman in South Africa. South Africa lost Amla in the 2nd over. Markarm and Duminy put on 78 for the 2nd wicket but it was once again those 2 leg-spinners who made life incredibly difficult for the Proteas. David Miller and Khaya Zondo joined each other at 95/4. They added just 34 runs in 64 balls for the 5th wicket. As the required rate kept on increasing South Africa had to go for big shots which resulted in lost of wickets all around. South Africa were bowled out for 179 losing the match by 124 runs. India were just a win away from winning their first ever series in South Africa.

The 4th ODI was going to be played at the Wanderer’s in Johannesburg. AB de Villiers joined the South African team returning from an injury. India won the toss and elected to bat first on a flat pitch with decent bounce and good carry. Shikhar Dhawan was playing his 100th match. Rohit Sharma was once again dismissed early and he seemed to carry his poor form from the Test series. Dhawan and Kohli once again put on a big partnership in the series. They put on 178. Kohli unfortunately missed his 34th ODI century by just 25 runs!! Dhawan went on to score 109 becoming the first batsman to score a 100 in his 100th match for India. India failed to accelerate in the end overs as they managed just 289/7 in their 50 overs. South Africa were off to an aggressive start chasing 290 scoring 43/0 in just 7 overs. A rain interruption meant that South Africa had to chase 202 in just 28 overs. They were soon 77/3 and needed someone to step up. AB de Villiers took on Kuldeep Yadav hitting him for a couple of boundaries and a massive six. This really shook up India. Bowling with the wet ball the 2 leg-spinners were suddenly under pressure. South Africa carried this momentum forward and eventually won the match by 5 wickets. Klassen scored 43 while Miller scored 39. Phelulkwayo also scored 23 off just 8 balls!!!!

The 5th ODI was played at Port Elizabeth. India had never won a match at Port Elizabeth against South Africa. South Africa won the toss and elected to field first. India were off to a quick start. They scored 44/0 in just 7 overs. Dhawan got out to a bouncer trying to pull a short ball over the fence off Rabada scoring 34 off just 23 balls. Rohit Sharma was playing well this time around as he hit a six off the first ball of a new spell from Tabraiz Shamsi. Rohit Sharma and Kohli put on 105 for the 2nd wicket before Kohli unfortunately got run out for 36. Later, Rahane also got run out for 8. Rohit Sharma scored his 11th ODI century. He got dismissed for 115. India failed to accelerate in the end overs for the 2nd consecutive match as they finished on 274/7 in their 50 overs. Lungi Ngidi had figures of 4/51 in his 9 overs. South Africa just like the last match began positively. Markram scored a run a ball 32. Hardik Pandya got wickets in consecutive overs dismissing Duminy and the dangerous de Villiers. South Africa were now 65/3. David Miller and Amla put on 62 for the 4th wicket and it looked South Africa would win this one. But after Miller got out Amla was dismisssed soon after. South Africa collapsed from 162/4 to 201 all out. India won their first ever series in South Africa under Kohli. A big credit should go to the spinners for the way they bowled. Hardik Pandya was equally effective with the ball in middle overs while Bumrah and Bhuvi were effective with the new ball. So this was more about the way Indian bowlers had performed.

The 6th ODI at Centurion was more of a formality now. India won the toss and elected to bowl first. South Africa followed the same negative approach as they got bowled out for a mere 204. Khaya Zondo top scored with 54. Chahal took 1/38 in his 10 overs being extremely economical with the ball. India cruised along chasing 205 as Kohli scored another century. His 3rd for the series and his 35th overall. He finised with a tally of 558 runs in the series averaging 139.50.

It was time to switch over the format. Suresh Raina joined the Indian squad. The first T20 was played at Johannesburg. India were put into bat by South Africa. Rohit Sharma completely unleashed himself scoring 21 off just 9 but was dismissed by Junior Dala caught behind. Raina also scored 15 off 7 dismissed by Dala. Kohli scored 26 of 20. Dhawan went on to score 72 off 39!!!!! India just like the ODI series failed to achieve a strong finish which was becoming a bit of an issue now. They scored 203/5 in their 20 overs. South Africa failed to keep up with the rate all throughout as they lost by 28 runs scoring just 175 in their 20 overs.

In the 2nd T20I at Centurion, South Africa once again won the toss and elected to bowl first. Rohit got out for a duck. Raina and Dhawan took on the attack to the bowlers before Dhawan got out on a low full toss off Duminy for 24 off 14. Raina scored 31 off 24 and Kohli was dismissed for just 1. At 79/4 in walked Manish Pandey who joined hands with Dhoni as both of them scored their respective half centuries. Pandey scored 79 while Dhoni scored 52. India scored 188/4 in their 20 overs. South Africa were off to a slow start as they scored 38/2 in 5 overs. Klassen and Duminy got together and once they got their eyes in they went beserk. This is where Kohli as Captain looked absolutely helpless. He just wasn’t able to break that partnership by making the right bowling changes and having the fielders on the right place. Duminy and Klassen scored 63 and 69 respectively as South Africa won by 6 wickets in just 18.4 overs. Kohli was injured as he missed out the 3rd T20I and Rohit took over him. India won the third T20I by 7 runs winning the series 2-1. India did win the limited overs leg but South Africa not playing their full strength lineup along with an inexperienced Captain masked many issues that would’ve been existing in the Indian team as a whole. But nevertheless this was their best ever performance in South Africa in their history. So this was nothing short of an achievement.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread