Warne backs Rashid to become England all-rounder

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
"My alternative, though, is Adil Rashid. Yes, he’s a spin bowler rather than a seamer, but there is no reason why England can’t go with three pacemen and two spinners. That’s a balanced attack, to me. Rashid has scored hundreds and taken five wickets in an innings in his past two matches for Yorkshire. He’s a real all-rounder."

Forget Stuart Broad, Adil Rashid should be Andrew Flintoff's all-round replacement - Times Online

Warne has a point. The worry with batting Broad at seven is that he is yet to get a FC hundred. He also mentions in that article that Broad should go and bat in the top order for Notts, so he can some top order runs.

Rashid is going great guns at the moment. He's made a century and took 5 wickets in his last two games and is genuine all-rounder. The problem is whether you want to play two spinners in places like England and South Africa all the time.

Last edited:

Warch El

School Cricketer
Have a friend raves on about Rashid so he'll love this :)

Always thought he'd end up going to SA, even more sure now that Monty appears to be out of favor. Think the problem will be that the media, fans et al have already marked Broad so it would take something special to shift the focus. Would probably help both players long term if it happened though

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I'd say that he's impressed this year, especially in the last few weeks, and I'd say for me he's getting closer and closer to the getting a spot in the team. Earlier in the year I said he wasn't ready for the set-up which he wasn't but now I feel he could perform.

Don't see him getting in the team in South Africa as their pitches don't really spin and he won't take Swann's place but I'd be suprised if we don't see him playing in Bangladesh.

Sureshot

Executive member
Very good fielder too. The potential of Rashid is massive. I could see, in the future, an attack of:

Rashid
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Now hes said this expect a downward spiral of the young lad a la Cam White.

(Not that White ever had any potential)

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Warne also said something about certain Mr. Jadeja who lost us matches in T20 WC.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Jadeja didn't lose you games. It was the captain putting Jadeja up the order when he wasn't ready on more than one occasion. Dhoni should have taken the responsibility, stopped protecting his average and gone in ahead of Jadeja. That was Dhoni's fault, not Jadeja's.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Yup, Jadeja wasn't ready. He will be soon enough though.

I'd listen to Warne. He's a genius at spotting talent.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Quite right. It was Dhoni's mistake sending Jadeja at No.3 when he should have sent in Yuvraj.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Warne has always backed Rashid, hes rated him for a few years now. Hes certainly got the talent and would be more handy with the bat than Broad. Who would have thought the English would have 2 spinners in their Test side while we struggle to get 1.

Krypta

School Cricketer
Rashid is the only England bowler good enough to bat at number 7 (Broad needes a couple of centuries before he changes my mind).

The question is wether his bowling is test standard.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
It must be true, I mean Warne backed Belowpara to turn out crap and he did.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Warne backed Bopara to turn out crap at 3, and he did, but Warne also said during the Test series that Ravi's good enough to bat 5 or 6.

Warne has always backed Rashid, hes rated him for a few years now. Hes certainly got the talent and would be more handy with the bat than Broad. Who would have thought the English would have 2 spinners in their Test side while we struggle to get 1.

We've got quite a few more spinners who are doing decently at County level as well. Swann, Rashid, Tredwell, Keedy are the more experienced performers and then we've got young lads in Beer, Waller, Borthwick, Rafiq, and Hamilton Brown who have all shown promise and real ability. I've been particularly impressed by Will Beer and Rory Hamilton Brown. Brown won't be the type of spinner to bowl sides out, but he's a very handy off-spinner (especially in OD cricket) and a very talented young batsman. I'm hoping to see big things from him.

Sureshot

Executive member
Rashid is the only England bowler good enough to bat at number 7 (Broad needes a couple of centuries before he changes my mind).

The question is wether his bowling is test standard.

He isn't a bowler. He's a proper all-rounder.

Users who are viewing this thread