21st June: 1 day match v England A at New Road
24th June: 1 day match v Derbyshire at Derby
26th June: Twenty20 match v PCA Masters XI at Arundel
28th June: 1st Twenty20 International at The Oval
29th June: 2nd Twenty20 International at The Oval
1st July: 1st ODI at Lord's
4th July: 2nd ODI at Edgbaston
7th July: 3rd ODI at Trent Bridge

The West Indies will follow this with an ODI Tri-Series in Ireland.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Based on World Cup performances, both teams are evenly matched. I will be interested to see if the pace of Taylor and Powell extracts troubling movement from green England pitches. Collymore may also be able to extract some seam movement.

However, England are undergoing a hot summer and it will be interesting to see how that affects the conditions.

I think that 4 Tests, 2 twenty20s and 3 ODIs is a good length for a tour and I think other countries should follow suit, maybe just 1 twenty20 though.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
England should win the test series comfortably here. We are still a good test side despite the abysmal ashes perfomance and without Freddie as captain and the long list of problems we had on the ahses tour we should win. As for the ODI's it should be close but i think we might edge it on home turf. Looks like the last time we'll see Lara too

Sureshot

Executive member
manee said:
Based on World Cup performances, both teams are evenly matched. I will be interested to see if the pace of Taylor and Powell extracts troubling movement from green England pitches. Collymore may also be able to extract some seam movement.

However, England are undergoing a hot summer and it will be interesting to see how that affects the conditions.

I think that 4 Tests, 2 twenty20s and 3 ODIs is a good length for a tour and I think other countries should follow suit, maybe just 1 twenty20 though.

First off, we all know England Test team> England ODI team.

Green England pitches?

No chance, even Headingley is changing as the weather does. I expect Monty to capture plenty of the West Indies predominantly left handed top order.

You're right, 1 20/20 is enough in my book.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Hopefully Simon Jones will be back firing, if so this would be my test XI:
Tresco (if fit)/Cook
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Freddie
Nixon (has to be given a go, been awesome in the WC)
Harmison/Jones (depending on harmisons form and if jones is fit)
Hoggard
Panesar

Its a very hard team to pick, i desperatly wanted to pick Jones but couldnt drop Bell, Collingwood, flintoff or Strauss, if jones is going to make up a 5 pronged attack, like in the 2005 ashes then tbh collingwood has to be dropped. I am a big fan of him but jones>Collingwood imo.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Oh yummy! Test Cricket is back! *does a merry jig*

Seriously though, if England want to prove that the Ashes was a big fat blip then they should win this 4-0. I'm happy with the 3 ODI's but the two Twenty20's aren't necessary really; Give the players a rest for heaven's sake.

I'm interested in how our bowlers will line up; Do we give Harmison his place back or do we let Mahmood or Anderson take over? Having said that, let's not rule out the return of Jones.

Speaking of the name Jones, if Prior doesn't get the gloves then i'm lost for words. I can see Fletcher giving GoJo a go again to be honest. If Fletcher is still at the helm that is.

King_Pietersen said:

I don't think Nixon should be given the gloves in the Test arena. Given that he's 36 (I think?) he can only really be classed as a stop gap replacement and younger hands should get to wear the gloves. Who these younger hands are remains to be seen, but not Nixon. No chance.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
King Pietersen said:
Hopefully Simon Jones will be back firing, if so this would be my test XI:
Tresco (if fit)/Cook
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Freddie
Harmison/Jones (depending on harmisons form and if jones is fit)
Hoggard
Panesar

Its a very hard team to pick, i desperatly wanted to pick Jones but couldnt drop Bell, Collingwood, flintoff or Strauss, if jones is going to make up a 5 pronged attack, like in the 2005 ashes then tbh collingwood has to be dropped. I am a big fan of him but jones>Collingwood imo.

I believe we should have five bowlers so Harmy AND Jones and although Nicko has a great attitude for the game, he isn't good enough as a batsman to be chosen.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Sureshot said:
No chance, even Headingley is changing as the weather does. I expect Monty to capture plenty of the West Indies predominantly left handed top order.
I know as I said, our climate is changing. But we do still have a temperate climate which most of the time results in sunshine one week and rain the next with sunny spells imbetween, which is perfect conditions for growing grass in England. However, whether the series is played majorly in one of Britain's 'droughts' is yet to be seen.
Sureshot said:
First off, we all know England Test team> England ODI team.
We do know that...but we also know

West Indies ODI team<West Indies test team

Code:
Batsman                         ODI Average                         Test Average
Lara                              40.60                                    52.88
Gayle                             37.94                                    38.71  
Chanderpaul                       38.01                                    44.60
Keeping in mind that ODI averages are highly boosted by successful chases and batting through the fifty overs, I think the message is clear that they too are much better in ODIs.

Also, what stats do not tell you is just how much better Lara is in Tests than ODIs. With 6 double hundreds, a triple and a quadruple in Tests, you better get him out early;).

King Pietersen said:

At 36, can his knees handle a portion five days of 90 overs each crouching down? Also, his role which he plays in the World Cup is six and out in the attempt to get quick runs in the late overs, such a tactic will not be as useful in Tests.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I'm sure Andrew can help me with this, but it must have been quite a while since the West Indies have won an away tour. I can't see them challenging us to be honest and gives the likes of Flintoff and Vaughan the chance to find some form again. I remember them taking the West Indian pacemen to the cleaners three years ago.

You also have to remember that the West Indies are the best self-destructors in the world; They could look world class at 200/1 but break that partnership and you will often see them bowled out for around 250. That's no exaggeration either.

You can build up Lara all you want, it's a team game. The West Indies rely far too much on Brian Lara and it's no wonder that he hasn't been producing the goods consistently for a good while now.

manee said:
At 36, can his knees handle a portion five days of 90 overs each crouching down? Also, his role which he plays in the World Cup is six and out in the attempt to get quick runs in the late overs, such a tactic will not be as useful in Tests.

He's definitely fit enough but he isn't good enough. He's done a great job for us this year but he just isn't Test standard.

I'd like to see how Gareth Cross does this season for Lancashire if he gets a run in with the first team again. He's definitely got potential as a wicket-keeper batsman that lad.

PhilD123

International Coach
Decent tour schedule to be honest, although as other people have said, 1 20/20 would have been enough.

King Pietersen, I dont think it would be right to play Trescothick just yet, he needs more time if he is going to play for England again. Perhaps Jones would be ok, but he needs to bowl overs for Glamorgan.

I have a feeling Fletcher won't be in charge after the WC, even in the extremely unlikely event of us winning it. On the keeper issue, we do need a new keeper to be blooded. As you said Matt, Prior would be the obvious choice and theres also Davies of Worcestershire, but I wouldn'y expect him to be used until at the earliest, next winter's tours. Another option is to give Foster another chance. I think Read has blown his chances following his comments about the selections for the Ashes.

I'm going to the 3rd day at Old Trafford:D

Matt, yeah it would be good to see how Cross does for Lancs, as he could be a future England keeper. Although, at the moment, he's got to get in ahead of Sutton to get a run in the team.

Last edited:

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
If Nixon single handedly wins us the world cup then i think we should play him,otherwise go for Prior or Davies imo. The test series against India will be the real test however we should win that as well. With the ball,as much as i'd like to say Harmy should never play for England again he was actually bowling quite well towards the end of the ashes.Lets see whether Strauss makes any runs unlike in the ashes
@ phil,so am i :p

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Leicester Fox said:
If Nixon single handedly wins us the world cup then i think we should play him,otherwise go for Prior or Davies imo. The test series against India will be the real test however we should win that as well. With the ball,as much as i'd like to say Harmy should never play for England again he was actually bowling quite well towards the end of the ashes.Lets see whether Strauss makes any runs unlike in the ashes
@ phil,so am i :p

Trust me, if Trescothick plays Strauss will score bucket loads of runs. I'm pretty much neutral on whether or not Harmison should play. He's no doubt a match winning bowler but his temperament lately has been liable.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
evertonfan said:
He's definitely fit enough but he isn't good enough. He's done a great job for us this year but he just isn't Test standard.

You never know, at his age, his knees might have gone.

I agree he is not quite test standard, but do England have a keeper who is?

evertonfan said:
You also have to remember that the West Indies are the best self-destructors in the world; They could look world class at 200/1 but break that partnership and you will often see them bowled out for around 250. That's no exaggeration either.
England are world famous for their middle order collapses though;)
You can build up Lara all you want, it's a team game. The West Indies rely far too much on Brian Lara and it's no wonder that he hasn't been producing the goods consistently for a good while now.
The second people start saying that, he hits another huge score and with this being his final tour, he may be eying up 450:D.

In all seriousness, West Indies have many batsman, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Gayle and Lara who can do it, but just, don't. England could either have a walk in the park or face total anhiliation at the hands of peed off (for lack of a better word West Indians.)

evertonfan said:
Trust me, if Trescothick plays Strauss will score bucket loads of runs. I'm pretty much neutral on whether or not Harmison should play. He's no doubt a match winning bowler but his temperament lately has been liable.
It was horrible for a team known for their middle order collapses to lose their best opener. I hope Strauss and Trescothick return to runs in a big way. Harmison must play against the West Indies. With his accuracy waning, he needs to make a choice between pace and accuracy since it does not look like coming back anytime soon. You do not want to have an 85mph unaccurate bowler.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
My ideal teamsheet would be this;

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan (c)
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
Prior (wk)
Jones
Anderson
Panesar
Hoggard

Well actually i'm lying, this is my ideal teamsheet;

Sutcliffe
Chilton
Law
Horton
Loye
Flintoff
Sutton
Cork
Chapple
Anderson
Keedy

:spy

manee said:
You never know, at his age, his knees might have gone.

I agree he is not quite test standard, but do England have a keeper who is?

Yes. Prior, Davies and Foster.

manee said:
England are world famous for their middle order collapses though;)

We are far away from the West Indies at their collapsing best. :p

manee said:
The second people start saying that, he hits another huge score and with this being his final tour, he may be eying up 450:D.

If he scores 450, the West Indies won't win the game.

manee said:
In all seriousness, West Indies have many batsman, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Gayle and Lara who can do it, but just, don't. England could either have a walk in the park or face total anhiliation at the hands of peed off (for lack of a better word West Indians.)

The same things have been said when they toured in 2000 and 2004 and the same things were said when we toured them in 2004. The results? 3-1, 4-0 and 3-0 in England's favour. Their bowling has progressively gotten worse as well.

PhilD123

International Coach
evertonfan said:
Well actually i'm lying, this is my ideal teamsheet;

Sutcliffe
Chilton
Law
Horton
Loye
Flintoff
Sutton
Cork
Chapple
Anderson
Keedy
:D Too right!

On your England teamsheet, am I the only one thinking that this first test series might be too soon for Trescothick. He's gotta be sure that he's mentally up for it.

I agree about leaving Collingwood out of that middle order.

Users who are viewing this thread