West Indies tour of Bangladesh, 2020-21

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Lord, Devon Smith. Look at who you mentioned. I know that Smith played Tests in the late 2000s-teens but really?

EDIT: You might as well mention Sieunarine Chattergoon (not a bad player) or Narsingh Deonarine (a better middle order bowling all-rounder than his stats show). I still say that Chanderpaul the younger can potentially become a very good opener given time and experience.

EDITx2: There's a bit of a reason why I'm name-dropping Guyanese players, they're pretty good all over the order in all fairness. Yeah, Shiv came in at four or five down, but there's one silver fox Rohan Kanhai at three, helmet-but-no-grille Carl Hooper at 4, Ramnaresh Sarwan at 4 or 5, our main rebel captain Alvin Kallicharan (who defied all the rules by ending his career playing in South Africa's domestic scene), Roy Fredericks at the top, Colin Croft as a bowler, Lance Gibbs as one of the best spinners ever...yeah...Guyana, technically speaking, are part of the West Indies due to the British rule back in the 1800s and early 1900s. Technically Sarwan is actually from Venezuela and not Guyana, depending on how the floods happen from year to year. But hey, the guy got us to 418, I'll take it.

TRIPLE EDIT: That's an Irish guy doing the commentary on our Super50 match. I know Sir Curtly when I hear him...that's...that's an Irish guy with him. I'll say for sure who he is soon.

QUADRUPLE EDIT: I knew the bitch was Irish. It's Niall O'Brien. Doing a damn good job with the mic too.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Not gonna be awake for long but damn that was a hell of a first ball. Shannon Gabriel you beast of a bowler. Mushy and Mithun in the middle. Windies for the follow on score here.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Bangladesh have clawed their way back into this one. I keep saying that every new day is important, and I still have to keep on saying it. I'd say anything upward of 250 as a target and 4 sessions to bowl would be balanced. We should push for about 310, 320 though. That would really be comfortable on our part. Why Warrican got the nightwatchman job over someone like Cornwall escapes my tiny brain. But hey, he's in the middle still. Bonner has the chance to play for a century in just his fourth Test innings.

Think I'll actually watch play later tonight.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Mehidy is doing his best Kusal Perera impression right now.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
This should prove to be a big wakeup call for Bangladesh cricket having their full strength side being beaten by pretty much a second string Windies side. They've clearly been way too over dependent on their spin bowlers to take advantage of their spinning decks, and their team always gets exposed for a lack of depth in their fast bowling department when they travel overseas. I think Abu Jayed seems like a good pace prospect that Bangladesh should persist with and stop having to rely on Fizz to carry their fast bowling lineup.

The West Indies on the other hand have extremely well considering their first choice players weren't there. It isn't easy beating a Bangladesh team in their own backyard with the foreign conditions and all. Not only that but new prospects for Windies cricket have emerged from this tour, such as Bonner, Mayers and Cornwall who should definitely be included in the first choice XI. They were poor in the ODI's but have shone in the Test series. If only WI were more consistent with their performances, I reckon they could've been easily 4th or 5th as one of the best Test playing nations in the world. Sadly they don't always put up performances like these consistently enough even though the potential is there to challenge any team in any conditions.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
How the hell did I miss this match...

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Closer than I'd really have liked, but a win is a win and this is a major win. I kept on telling everyone about Cornwall, now this match shows that he has the talent. For a team missing a few key players, we've shown that we still have it in us.

And yeah, Lloyd was really the catalyst for this series.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
When I said whitewash a couple of weeks ago, I really didn't expect it to be one for the visitors. They have proven me wrong, and there were individual performances but as a team in general they played really well. I love it. Back to the Caribbean for a well-deserved break and then Sri Lanka and their long names with about 20 vowels each to come.

Remember that most of this squad, including the reserves, they've been in isolation for the better part of a year. We've been the only team to tour this much post-virus, and that's something special. To end our away games with two victories is something to savour.

Thank you WI.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Kraigg Brathwaite: "Very thankful to God for opportunity to captain West Indies. Boys stuck to their plans, they were very disciplined. Very proud of the boys. Means everything back home. Cricket means everything to us. People will be proud. People wrote us off. But we kept it simple, enjoyed it, and we proved them wrong."

You have every idea about how true your words are, Kraigg. I don't like to be proven wrong at the best of times, but this time I'm happy about it.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
For all the damage that Covid has done worldwide, the late part of 2020 and now the first two months of 2021 has seen some of the best games of Test cricket to have been played. From Australia demolishing India in one game to the latter team coming to the front...from Bangladesh bossing four days before Mayers showed skill and class, to big Jimbo Cornwall reminding everyone that 280 pounds don't mean a thing if you're that athletic enough (he can wicketkeep too, I've always mentioned that) and practically being a subcontinent bowling master...Gabriel showing that even if pitches are low you can still bounce batsmen out if you put in the work...

Who were the guys wanting Tests down to 4 days? (EDIT, not members here, I mean cricket analysts.) Don't make me laugh.

Hard work picking a current WI XI. @Aislabie might be able to help out. Harder work doing one for Bangladesh.

Last edited:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Who were the guys wanting Tests down to 4 days? Don't make me laugh.
I still think there’s a case for it. Play from Thursday to Sunday, maximising crowd attendance. Add 15 overs per day, 5 per session. Teams will adapt their playing style, and we'll still have thrillers.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
The subcontinent always has had excellent attendance. But they are a fickle species. A very interesting but also scary story, in...was it the 2011 World Cup that was partly held in Bangladesh? The West Indies team had won against Bangladesh in Bangladesh. Their tour bus was pelted by Bangladesh supporters, with the players inside. That's not something that should ever happen, but it did. Where the ironic twist happens is that when the fans who initiated the whole incident realised that it was the WI bus, they apologised and said their target was the Bangladesh team. Again, assault in any form isn't a good thing, but yeah...that was pretty ironic.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Hard work picking a current WI XI. @Aislabie might be able to help out. Harder work doing one for Bangladesh.
:wi: West Indies
:bat: Kraigg Brathwaite
TBC
:bat: Nkrumah Bonner
:ar: Roston Chase
:bat: Jermaine Blackwood
:bat: Kyle Mayers
:ar: Jason Holder :c:
:wk: Josh Da Silva
:bwl: Rahkeem Cornwall
:bwl: Kemar Roach
:bwl: Shannon Gabriel

Reserves:
:wkb: Shai Hope
:wkb: Nicholas Pooran
:wk: Shane Dowrich
:bwl: Keemo Paul
:bwl: Alzarri Joseph
:bwl: Jomel Warrican

I've no idea about opening batsmen, so I'd probably go with a bit of a rogue pick. Shai Hope or Nicholas Pooran, or maybe Tagenarine Chanderpaul for sheer optimism.

:ban: Bangladesh
:bat: Tamim Iqbal
:bat: Anamul Haque
:bat: Mominul Haque
:wkb: Mushfiqur Rahim
:ar: Shakib Al Hasan
:wk: Liton Das
:ar: Mohammad Saifuddin
:ar: Mehidy Hasan
:bwl: Taijul Islam or Abu Hider
:bwl: Mustafizur Rahman
:bwl: Abu Jayed

Reserves:
:bat: Nazmul Islam
:bat: Towhid Hridoy
:ar: Mosaddek Hossain
:ar: Aminul Islam
:bwl: Nayeem Hasan
:bwl: idk... maybe Taskin?

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
The subcontinent always has had excellent attendance. But they are a fickle species. A very interesting but also scary story, in...was it the 2011 World Cup that was partly held in Bangladesh? The West Indies team had won against Bangladesh in Bangladesh. Their tour bus was pelted by Bangladesh supporters, with the players inside. That's not something that should ever happen, but it did. Where the ironic twist happens is that when the fans who initiated the whole incident realised that it was the WI bus, they apologised and said their target was the Bangladesh team. Again, assault in any form isn't a good thing, but yeah...that was pretty ironic.

Still remember this incident, it was pretty surreal. Bangladeshi fans are a different kind altogether sometimes.
Post automatically merged:

I still think there’s a case for it. Play from Thursday to Sunday, maximising crowd attendance. Add 15 overs per day, 5 per session. Teams will adapt their playing style, and we'll still have thrillers.

Teams are already struggling to maintain the current over rates as it is, might need to clone Jadeja and send a version of him to every side to make this a reality.

Users who are viewing this thread