West Indies Tour of England - July 2020

It's over.

That was my initial thought after seeing John Campbell turn the ball down behind square. After seeing Jason Holder almost leaping as he passed the popping crease for the single that brought the West Indies (sorry, the Windies) to victory. After seeing England look flat in the field for the last hour. After seeing the fist and elbow bumps from everyone, including the umpires.

It's over.

And I'm not saying that, or thinking that, for no reason. With everything that has happened to the world in the last 6 months, just seeing a Test match being played was incredible. That Cricket West Indies was willing to go forward with the preparations, and that the players, save for two or three who abstained for very valid reasons, that this series is even being played is a sort of "take that" to CoronaVirus DNA type, year 2019. Let us face it, the world is at war. But this time we are not fighting with guns or bombs. We fight with soap, water, sanitiser, and distance. This is what we are reduced to. But slowly, we will win this war.

But an army does not march on the reliability of their weapons. An army marches on morale, and any and all morale boosters help. This is what international cricket brings to the forefront. To see two top class teams fight it out over five days in one of the initial battles against the Covid enemy, to boost morale of every single soldier social distancing, to raise the hopes of every essential worker out there. This thing can be done. This can be beaten. Let us not waver.

And this is why my thought after that winning run was...it's over.

Because for five days, four and a little bit if you're being picky, for five days the world watched the only top tier cricket on offer. And what cricket it was. Was it the best Test match I've ever seen? No. But it was important. The Windies came to England a month ago, were cut off from the rest of the world. Even back in the Caribbean at least their own cut-off world was their own. But no longer. They had to contend with a bubble that was not the Caribbean, not their own. This was England. They played cards and dominoes to pass the time. When allowed outside, they did net sessions together. They did interviews, countless interviews. Perhaps even more chat sessions with friends and family back home. They knew the world was watching. And waiting. And then the day finally came.

And it rained.

For every moment of hype, this was a massive blow to morale for us soldiers at home, in the pub, social distancing. This is the return of Test cricket, and that Higher Power above decided to have rainfall. Moods significantly dropped. There seemingly was a grey cloud in all cricketing fans' hearts. There would not be play on day one. Nothing could have disappointed us more.
But then the clouds lifted, the groundstaff worked hard. There could be play. Possibly. Maybe. At least there would be the toss. Jason Omar Holder and Benjamin Andrew Stokes out there. And Stokes won and said he would bat. With a wettish outfield and clouds overhead, was this the right decision? Only time would tell. And after a stop-start-stop-again first day, nobody thought that this was what Test cricket should be returning to. Add in some horrible umpiring and things looked terrible to us soldiers, looking up at our COs.

After that first day, we had cricket. Proper cricket.

For everything that was said about players being rusty, it meant very little. In fact, it was the umpires who were rusty. And terribly, horribly rusty at that. But Kettleborough and Illingworth improved on days 4 and 5. I think it was just lack of playing time on their parts. Gough as third umpire was absolutely excellent with everything he did, he was careful to explain everything that he was seeing, and as he was mic'd up, that's what you want. Simple, easy explanations and the reasons for them. I remember one review where he asked for the front on view and got a view from mid off instead and he said, "Oh, this is the best angle we have? Okay, this is the best one, we will make do...go forward, go forward..." I mean, the transparency in the review process was there and I liked it a lot. I have zero problems with Misters Kettleborough, Illingworth, and Gough. In fact, when Gough gets his chance in the middle in the next match, he will have had a host of reviews and a ton of experience to assist him.
We can talk about the toss and the decision to bat first, we can talk about Dom Bess not bowling enough, we can talk about not having Broad. We can talk. But at the end of 5 days, the fact remains that West Indies were the better team for all but two sessions. They themselves aren't without their downfalls. Some batsmen got themselves out rather than outright getting out. Poor technique was exposed by Wood and Archer, and to a lesser extent, Stokes. Roach didn't seem to be on form, despite bowling economically. I can't remember the last time he hasn't taken a wicket in a match.
The Test was historic, not just because of the [HASHTAG]#BLM[/HASHTAG] movement, but also this was the first taste of proper cricket since the pandemic began. Yes, the artificial crowd buzz was annoying, but I tuned that out quickly. Yes, seeing the empty stands was weird, but I live in the Caribbean, where having less than 100 people in the ground, including staff and players, is the norm these days. But having this Test be so competitive, and so good, right up to the final ball...that's a great return to Test cricket for the world. And it shows why Test cricket should always be the pinnacle of every fan's hearts.

I am so sad that it's over.

But it sets up an excellent series to come. And I, a soldier, am looking forward to it. The morale is high throughout the cricketing world. Let's keep fighting.

Said article, as submitted to ESPNCricInfo. First choice of posting comes here, of course. Maybe hopefully it gets onto elsewhere.

Joe Denly is out of the matchday squad for the second Test.

I for one am glad that the Kent batsman with six 50s in 15 Tests at an average of 29 has been left out for the Kent batsman with two 50s from six Tests at an average of 31.

I am also glad that Jos Buttler has kept his place ahead of Ben Foakes.

It is definitely positive to see that the Titanic deckchairs have been rearranged.

I for one am glad that the Kent batsman with six 50s in 15 Tests at an average of 29 has been left out for the Kent batsman with two 50s from six Tests at an average of 31.

It is definitely positive to see that the Titanic deckchairs have been rearranged.
I have put 100k Vcash on England so you have the responsibility to win it for England :p
Now I have trust on you @Aislabie ;)

Denly jumped in at a tricky time but was no more than a in between station.

Anderson, at his age and in the twilight of his career, couldn't be expected to play every match. I've always said that. But that he's out after just one match, and doing well in that match, is a bit odd. He's said to be "sore" but most bowlers play through soreness. I expect Broad to play in his place. Batting a bit higher up, Broad can add valuable runs in the lower order and while he's not an outright rapid bowler, he has the skill. Not as much as Anderson on form, but he has skill.

Wood being dropped is just stupid. I think he bowled excellently, and he deserved a spot. You can't just rely on Archer for express pace alone.

Denly needed dropping, that much was clear. Crawley retains his spot for his gutsy batting. Would have liked to have seen more than one spin option. Bess bowled well, maybe under-utilised. Why Buttler is still in the squad is a mystery, especially as he's carrying a sore left hand.

It's almost as if England want to lose again.

On the Windies side, you've read my opinions. Drop Hope unless Campbell isn't fit. Hell, drop him even if Campbell is unfit. Play young Da Silva. I may or may not have a bias toward him, he went to my secondary school albeit many years after me (Go Saints!) and he looks technically sound. Play Cornwall. Hell, the guy cannot be carrying the towels and drinks forever. He had a 10-for in his last match. You cannot have Roston Chase as your primary spinner.

I would still play the current version of the awesome foursome - Roach, Gabriel, Joseph, Holder.

Add a proper spinner in Cornwall.

That leaves 6 batsmen. Braithwaite has to be selected. Chase is in for his batting, not for bowling, but he can and will give you some overs. Blackwood has shown patience, so he's in. Dowrich has always been Chanderpaul-esque in his approach to batting, he's in. I like Brooks, he's decent. Not exactly in the highest class of batsmen yet, but he's good enough to be in. Bring in Da Silva in place of Hope.

Windies XI:
Kraigg Braithwaite
Shamarh Brooks
Jermaine Blackwood
Joshua Da Silva
Roston Chase
Shane Dowrich (wk)
Jason Holder (c)
Rahkeem Cornwall
Alzarri Joseph
Kemar Roach
Shannon Gabriel

Unfortunately, it's never going to happen...

Anderson, at his age and in the twilight of his career, couldn't be expected to play every match. I've always said that. But that he's out after just one match, and doing well in that match, is a bit odd. He's said to be "sore" but most bowlers play through soreness. I expect Broad to play in his place. Batting a bit higher up, Broad can add valuable runs in the lower order and while he's not an outright rapid bowler, he has the skill. Not as much as Anderson on form, but he has skill.

Wood being dropped is just stupid. I think he bowled excellently, and he deserved a spot. You can't just rely on Archer for express pace alone.

Denly needed dropping, that much was clear. Crawley retains his spot for his gutsy batting. Would have liked to have seen more than one spin option. Bess bowled well, maybe under-utilised. Why Buttler is still in the squad is a mystery, especially as he's carrying a sore left hand.

It's almost as if England want to lose again.

On the Windies side, you've read my opinions. Drop Hope unless Campbell isn't fit. Hell, drop him even if Campbell is unfit. Play young Da Silva. I may or may not have a bias toward him, he went to my secondary school albeit many years after me (Go Saints!) and he looks technically sound. Play Cornwall. Hell, the guy cannot be carrying the towels and drinks forever. He had a 10-for in his last match. You cannot have Roston Chase as your primary spinner.

I would still play the current version of the awesome foursome - Roach, Gabriel, Joseph, Holder.

Add a proper spinner in Cornwall.

That leaves 6 batsmen. Braithwaite has to be selected. Chase is in for his batting, not for bowling, but he can and will give you some overs. Blackwood has shown patience, so he's in. Dowrich has always been Chanderpaul-esque in his approach to batting, he's in. I like Brooks, he's decent. Not exactly in the highest class of batsmen yet, but he's good enough to be in. Bring in Da Silva in place of Hope.

Windies XI:
Kraigg Braithwaite
Shamarh Brooks
Jermaine Blackwood
Joshua Da Silva
Roston Chase
Shane Dowrich (wk)
Jason Holder (c)
Rahkeem Cornwall
Alzarri Joseph
Kemar Roach
Shannon Gabriel

Unfortunately, it's never going to happen...
Given how poor the West Indies batting has been (long term), and that the player with the best average over the last couple of years is at number 8, I don't see a problem bringing Cornwall in. I'd back him to do as well, if not better than, Hope has in the last two years (averaging 17.38). Although realistically they'd be better off trying someone like Da Silva or Ambris. West Indies are really bereft of good batting and unless they can find some consistent big scorers it'll probably be the difference between them fighting it out with the top teams and being able to turn over weaker sides or inconsistent ones like England.

If I was Phil Simmons I'd be encouraging Pooran and Lewis to try and play some First Class cricket when the next chance arises.

I'd want to see Da Silva in the whites sooner rather than later. Nothing wrong with playing two keepers. Hell, they had Hope and Dowrich (and even Cornwall can keep). I want Da Silva out in the middle during this tour.

I agree that he was only really a stopgap, I'd just have rathered start the series with Hain and Lawrence. I feel like they and Pope (and Root - he's still young) are the future of English batting.

Ben Charlesworth, Hassan Azan and Crawley could also grow to be part of that club.

I'm not sure it makes sense to bench Jimmy. But he's at the stage of his career where he can call his own shots, and if he doesn't feel right, he doesn't play. I think him being benched was more his own call rather than a selectors' call.

I agree that he was only really a stopgap, I'd just have rathered start the series with Hain and Lawrence. I feel like they and Pope (and Root - he's still young) are the future of English batting.

Ben Charlesworth, Hassan Azan and Crawley could also grow to be part of that club.
What happened to Haseeb Hameed? Looked such a great talent.

What happened to Haseeb Hameed? Looked such a great talent.
He has been average just about 30s in County after the 2016 India tour. He is someone who has completely lost his way and as far as I have seen him play he doesn't have the game to bat against quality seamers in difficult conditions but certainly can play the spinners.

Last edited:
He has been average just about 30s in County after the 2016 India tour. He is someone who has completely lost his way and as far as I have seen him play he doesn't have the game to bat against quality seamers in difficult conditions but certainly can play the spinners. I think it would rather make sense for him to return back to India but then again it's his choice and certainly he should improve in County itself rather than taking a step backward.
He's a born and bred Englishman, why would he go to India? He can't go "back", he never lived in India :p

Users who are viewing this thread