SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
One Match in, and there's no thread for this :lol

Lockie Ferguson was just fabulous with a five-for in a 16 over match. Santner and Neesham stole the game away from Windies

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
It was an incredible T20 match to be honest. Really enjoyed it, and although his wasn't the headline performance I thought Conway looked like a high-quality accumulator

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It was an incredible T20 match to be honest. Really enjoyed it, and although his wasn't the headline performance I thought Conway looked like a high-quality accumulator

Conway is a fantastic batsman, needs to be made an all-format player ASAP.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Yup. Have been seeing him in the NZ Domestic Scene for quite some time.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Well this thread is not as active as it should be and I suppose I'm a bit inspired after seeing how today's play ended, so I'll post a few thoughts, with some power naps in between.

- That was one damn green pitch on Day 1. And with the overhead conditions it was difficult to do anything other than bowl first after winning the toss. Except just like our childhood itsy bitsy spider, the sun came out and dried up all the rain. Swing was still there though, and that pitch...you could still read the Kookaburra logo on the ball past 60 overs in. That pitch did nothing to scuff the ball. I do think that our bowlers didn't bowl the right lengths in the very first session. But it's hard. As a fast bowler you're always told to pitch it on a good length and never full or else you'll get driven all over the park. On that Day 1 pitch you needed to go full, which goes against everything you've ever been coached to do.

- Once the guys sorted that out, things were much better from a viewing aspect. But wickets just never came. I do agree with the commentary team when they said that we didn't bowl badly once we sorted out our length, but we just never had the luck. Roach was the best bowler there and still he got his bowler's century for his three wickets. He bothered the batsmen almost constantly. The ball always kept doing just enough but never too much. Sigh. I also agree with the commentary when they said these guys will bowl much worse than this in the future and be more successful.

- That takes nothing away from Williamson. What an amazing batsman and amazing innings. He only played a handful of false shots and never really looked like he was out of control of how he played.

- By the time they declared I knew we'd be following on. I just sort of hoped that we made more than what we had in the first innings. But most of the wickets went to great bowling and unlike us, the BlackCaps know how to use the conditions at home better than we do. We were steamrolled in the first innings. And of course we had to follow on.

- So there I am, figuring, well okay we will learn from our mistakes. Perhaps we'll make them bat again to make like 50 to win or something. And then I see wicket after wicket. And I'm like okay, we've still got...crap who have we got? I'm like if you guys get bowled out twice in one day I'm never supporting you again (name me one West Indies fan who has never said that and you get some sort of award). So I'm like alright, the top is gone. Chase can bat. And Braith-WAIT how the hell you gonna get out? Trying some sort of half-ramp, half-uppercut that wholly settled into the slip fielder's hands?

- Now I'm remembering Blackwood in England earlier this year where he curbed his natural game and batted patiently and then he-WTF HOLDER! Oh no ball...cool. Both innings. Lucky bitch...aaaand you just wasted your chance. Alright, well that's it qpee, we're gonna lose within three days. But then again, Alzarri can bat a bit. And Roach won't exactly score, but he can block. Maybe it's Blackwood's chance to prove himself, after being in and out of the team since 2014.

- Then Joseph proceeds to bat like he's at number 4. Was it perfect? No, there were some chances, but no more than our own actual number 4. And his defense was better. I only really saw about three legit tail ender shots from him, otherwise it was all proper cricket shots. I'm not about to call him a proper all rounder yet, for all I know this could be his Jason Gillespie innings and he never bats like this again. But something tells me it won't be. The shots that he played, they were good shots, not your regular swipes that you see. And those defensive shots weren't your typical tail ender exaggerated tail ender defensive shots either. Those were...proper blocks.

- Blackwood kept talking him through the innings almost every ball he faced. That was very great to see. It wasn't just whenever he played and missed or whatever, Blackwood was there almost all the time, coming down to the other end and saying, hey well played man, keep going. Or hey, don't get carried away, we will lose but no reason to throw your wicket away. Honestly when Joseph made his fifty, I'd give some of the credit to Blackwood for talking Joseph through.

- We're still most likely going to lose by an innings and some change left over, but we took them into the fourth day and we made them feel like we felt during days one and two. I'll be watching. Sometimes near the end (coincidentally when the sun was out and it wasn't overcast) it was like NZ didn't quite know how to approach our counterattack. Remember, both Blackwood and Joseph are scoring at a pretty high rate. Joseph has 59 off 73...so quick approximate math gives it 60 off 75, which is 80% and Blackwood has 80 off 98, quick math gives that also 80%. For Test strike rates, that's awesome. Blackwood is comfortable taking the single off of the first ball and letting Joseph play out the rest of the over. And Joseph has rewarded that trust by playing well.

- Blackwood and Joseph to make centuries, but we'll still lose by an innings. Blackwood to make 131, leaving Joseph on 95. Roach comes in and blocks the hell out of every single bowler, until Joseph brings up his maiden Test ton. Comparisons will be made to Jerome Taylor, who made a century at Dunedin coming in at number 8, just like Alzarri. I can dream, at least...but I really really hope this dream comes true.

- Brooks has never stood behind the stumps professionally as far as I know. Yet he looked...dare I say it...better than Dowrich. He could potentially turn into a Dravid here, just with not as great batting. But having never kept, it had to have effects physically and mentally. That's why I won't blame him for getting out. I would like to see how he collects the ball from the spinners though. Haven't been able to see that because almost every ball that Chase or Braithwaite bowled was played. However, from what I've seen, I really wouldn't mind it if he kept more often.

- Dowrich would be out of the next match most likely. Any injury bad enough to keep you from batting with Holder in the first innings when your team was struggling that badly...has to be a serious injury. We have Pooran and da Silva across in NZ. Would either of them get their first Test cap for the next match? Both Trinidadian, I can't even play the country card. Their keeping skills are about the same. Pooran has international experience already. Da Silva has more FC experience and has 5 half centuries and one century (in England on the last tour, no less). But Pooran did make 46 and so far 25* in the ongoing A team game and, oddly enough, took a wicket for some strange reason. Da Silva hasn't exatly shined as yet. Or...do you keep Brooks behind the wicket and play an extra batsman? Who would you even play? Pigs will grow wings and fly over a cold frozen hell if I'd go with Romario Shepherd, who is nothing more than a bits-and-pieces all rounder who happened to score 133 in that game. My opinion? Keep Brooks behind and give that cap to Nkrumah Bonner, who was on the field a lot during this game due to all the injuries.

- A lesser potential replacement would be for Darren Bravo. He has either a calf or an Achilles injury from what I've seen, and he definitely wasn't running all that well in the first innings. Would they rest him? If they do, who do they replace him with? That's another one of those tough questions. Honestly, there's nobody I can see to replace him, and I'd get the physios on him from the time he was out today up until it was time to submit the team list for the next match, because we need him.

So...yeah. Tomorrow will prove me wrong on so many things, but I so hope both Joseph and Blackwood continue to frustrate the opposition. It's sad to know that I've gone from wanting to win a game to wanting to at least look competitive over the past 20 or so years.

Last edited:

Short Leg Cricket

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
New Zealand
My thoughts as a kiwi won’t be as long as that as it has been pretty impressive watching really and a very entertaining Test match so far. The mix of fantastic swing and seam bowling on a surface that has offered a lot for the bowler has been great to see. Blackwood and Joesph’s aggressive batting was also fun to see, they are not going to go down with a fight and instead of going gun ho they were sensible in their risk taking. Campbell and Brathwaite’s dismissal in particular highlight a lack of match awareness - yes the plan is to be more aggressive and don’t let the bowlers settle but time is on their side.
At 27-3 why is he trying an upper cut to Southee’s metronomic lengths. Wickets falling, Kiwis tail up and he decides to do that - it was a bit surprising to say the least. Joseph’s batting was pleasing to see even if at times you felt like he could get put and boi do I want him too.

Today’s action will be intriguing. You would imagine that the Kiwis would take the final 3 wickets and win by an innings but with the two styles of batting Joesph and Blackwood have it will be interesting to see their approach. It may be difficult to get into that attacking flow straight away which might give the kiwis the early upper hand. Time will tell!

Btw Jamieson’s delivery to Bravo in the 1st innings was spectacular. He is an all round hero and will be a mainstay for New Zealand for years to come.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My thoughts as a kiwi won’t be as long as that as it has been pretty impressive watching really and a very entertaining Test match so far. The mix of fantastic swing and seam bowling on a surface that has offered a lot for the bowler has been great to see. Blackwood and Joesph’s aggressive batting was also fun to see, they are not going to go down with a fight and instead of going gun ho they were sensible in their risk taking. Campbell and Brathwaite’s dismissal in particular highlight a lack of match awareness - yes the plan is to be more aggressive and don’t let the bowlers settle but time is on their side.
At 27-3 why is he trying an upper cut to Southee’s metronomic lengths. Wickets falling, Kiwis tail up and he decides to do that - it was a bit surprising to say the least. Joseph’s batting was pleasing to see even if at times you felt like he could get put and boi do I want him too.

Today’s action will be intriguing. You would imagine that the Kiwis would take the final 3 wickets and win by an innings but with the two styles of batting Joesph and Blackwood have it will be interesting to see their approach. It may be difficult to get into that attacking flow straight away which might give the kiwis the early upper hand. Time will tell!

Btw Jamieson’s delivery to Bravo in the 1st innings was spectacular. He is an all round hero and will be a mainstay for New Zealand for years to come.

Pleased to see a Kiwi fan in these forums. Chewie was the last one I remember and he is completely inactive these days. Hope you stick around! :cheers

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I remember Michael Holding mentioning something in the England series. It referred to Blackwood in particular, but I think it applies to everyone.

I'm paraphrasing here but he said something like "Well if he goes in and gets out playing aggressively, they say that's just the way he plays. And that's not how it should be, you have to assess the match conditions and play accordingly. Anybody who plays Test match cricket has to know how to assess the match situation, and even if you're an aggressive batsman, you have to play according to how the game is going."

No doubt the game has been entertaining. As a WI fan, I'm always holding my head in my arms everytime I see the ball pass the outside edge, but it's good cricket still. And seeing Williamson put on a batting masterclass was a sight to behold. Seeing Joseph and Blackwood...somehow be aggressive and defensive at the same time last night was also quite thrilling.

And yeah, I do think that the best way to get the upper hand on the Kiwis was to counterattack. But the top and middle order just didn't do it properly. Blackwood, who is known as an attacking batsman, has not played any shots in anger so far, and has been solid in defense and leaving the ball. Joseph has done the same, bar one or two lapses in judgement, but he's a tail ender it can be forgiven.

A new day's play in about an hour or so. I hope the overnight batsmen can build and at least make this less of a rout and more of a match.

Also, I agree with @Bevab, really great to see a Kiwi fan on here.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Ooh, Baz just asked Ian Bishop about the wicketkeeping option for the next match. Ian is talking about Da Silva. And Pooran. But Brooks kept quite well. He's asking Baz about Brooks.

THAT WAS A GENUINE EDGE. Dropped. Straight into the hands, despite what Baz says about awkward height, that's bread and butter for a first slip.

I'm going to keep editing this post during the day's play. (It's 6.25pm here in the Caribbean...I think it might be 11.25am in NZ.) So I'll leave any of my EDIT tags unsaid.

Left arm around is a good angle, yes. But not for the bowler. A left arm seamer around is just so damn awkward it's almost unbelievable.

6.30 pm. That six was pretty well hit. Bishop said Greenidge, but nah, Greenidge got his leg up more.

6.31pm. The Jerome Taylor comparisons begin. See my posts last night.

6.46pm. A waft. No, Joseph, no.

6.50pm. Joseph is losing a bit of patience. Don't screw up, man. Remember your role. Oooh, good, left two. Don't flash the blade unless you're sure you can hit it. You want to be in the middle when your partner makes his 100.

6.56pm. You're on 99 and on strike, Blackwood. Don't let me down.

6.57pm. Nuff said.

7.11pm. I decide to take a bathroom break and Joseph gets out. That's it, I'm never peeing again in life.

7.14pm. Roach can block. He can't score, but he can block the hell out of things. Take the team to lunch, guys. Come on.

7.15pm. Yeah, that's the game. I'm not gonna reply here anymore until it's time for the next match.

Last edited:

Short Leg Cricket

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Pleased to see a Kiwi fan in these forums. Chewie was the last one I remember and he is completely inactive these days. Hope you stick around! :cheers

Hahahaha thank you it’s a great forum and I have really enjoyed interacting and talking about cricket for the last couple years and yeah funnily enough I live in England and was only in New Zealand when I was born and didn’t spend too much time there and haven’t been back since, . But that doesn’t stop me from being a loyal kiwi who supports the England and New Zealand with the same passion. The World Cup Final was definitely a whirlwind of emotions! :cheers:lol:lol

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
My sleep disruption has meant I've seen quite a bit of 2nd test. Nicholls batted brilliantly. Chemar Holder looked very good on Day 1.

For NZ Jamieson looks really good, reminds me of Steven Finn.

West Indies big problem remains the batting. If Jermaine Blackwood is your best player you're going to be struggling, that's not intended as disrespect to Blackwood who looks like their most capable batter and has since the summer in England and improved since the last time he was dropped.

New Zealand seem a very strong side. Four quality seamers, a useful all rounder (Mitchell being back up for de Grandhomme), a quality WK batsman (two maybe three in this side) and all this without Wiliamson.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Holder looks like an excellent bowler, but of course I knew that already. I wish it didn't take him this long to debut, but he didn't do too badly despite getting a bowling century. He's a fantastic bowler, and he's one for the future. What I'd like to see is for him to get more games at the top level. He's shown that he can put the ball in the good areas. If not for the fielding, he could have been 4 wickets for much less runs. He got the batsmen in some awkward positions and got an edge or two along the way.

Da Silva...huh. I won't call his keeping bad, but it was distinctly adequate. Nothing special. I think Brooks looked better, and he's not even a proper keeper. I am very biased toward da Silva, simply because he went to my high school (GO SAINTS!) and he's from Trinidad, but I don't really think he did anything outstanding with the gloves. Now he wasn't sloppy by any means, but I think he could have at least looked a little better. I've seen him keep before, he's a bit better than that. Perhaps some nerves.

Well, looks like I'm going to see what he can do with the bat now. He's out in the middle after Blackwood. While I'm indifferent about his wicketkeeping, I rate his batting quite highly.

I don't think any of the batsmen really threw their wickets away. Maybe Brooks, leaving one that seamed back in. But even then, I think all the wickets were just because the batsmen were outclassed by excellent bowling. Our batsmen have no answer to the Kiwi bowlers, simple as that. No excuses. And that represents a bit of poor technique and concentration from us. This is a far-removed team from the one that beat England so convincingly in the first pandemic Test match. And a lot of questions have to be answered. See, it's one thing to ask the questions. It's another thing to answer them.

Great bowling from Jamieson and Southee in particular. Wagner is doing his job of keeping his end tight. Boult hasn't done too much so far, but don't count him out yet.

One more wicket for the tail.

Da Silva is the first "light-skinned" player to play for us since Brendon Nash, who last represented the WI in 2011. Before that, you'd have to go back to the 1970s to find another "technically-white" player.

EDIT: Well, that would about be it. We'll be following on. I can't see da Silva leading the tail to another 144 runs. Forget what I said about throwing wickets away, Holder just did. That was not a false shot. That was a nothing shot. No power, no nothing. He seemed as if he...well...that's one more there. Yep. An excellent 5 wicket haul for Jamieson though.

I've often been embarrassed to call myself a West Indies fan, but I still call myself one. Still though, these kinds of performances make me reconsider my allegiances.

Two debutants in the middle. What are the odds of double debut centuries?

Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Thought the same about Da Silva's keeping, he looked quite poor.

I suppose with Pooran now playing for the A side he may take the gloves eventually. I'm assuming he'll be fast tracked in the test team considering captaining the A team.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Pooran has stated that he wants to eventually play Test cricket. And he's a good keeper. He's perhaps not as good with the gloves as Dowrich or even da Silva (when the latter is on form, that is, not in this match so far) and has good batting skills but what goes against him is his lack of FC experience. Limited overs, he's definitely our first choice wicketkeeper because he adds aggressive batting into the mix. But in the longer format, things are very different. And until he has proven himself adept at batting long innings and curbing his natural aggression, he won't be considered for the Test squad. I'd like to see him play a few more A team games. Mentally, I know he's strong. This is a man who was in one hell of a car accident and there was every chance of him not being able to walk properly again. To go from that to wicketkeeping as if you'd never left the game is not just a physical feat, it's a big mental feat as well. So I have no doubts about his mental strength, because every match that he plays is one match more than he should be playing.

Pooran didn't take the gloves in the A team game that took place during the first Test. Da Silva did. Pooran, again, strangely enough, got himself a bowling wicket. I'm not even going to comment on that.

We survived Day 2. Barely. Gabriel is a weasel with the bat. (For those unfamiliar with cricket terms, a bunny is a terrible batsman, and weasels go after bunnies so that says something about the skill.) Essentially this is our last partnership. We'll definitely be following on within the first hour's play tomorrow. I mean, I can hope and dream, but I have to be realistic.

Blackwood fought hard but then got a good ball. Most of them did.

A review and analysis (this will be long)...

Braithwaite c Taylor b Southee: Well, just squared him up a bit and Taylor did the rest. Was it an unplayable delivery? Probably not, Braithwaite had very little footwork. Didn't really push at it hard, it went a bit low to Taylor. Could actually have been Watling's catch, would have been at a more comfortable height, but he trusted Taylor and that was probably the right call. Taylor doesn't drop many of those, unlike Darren Bravo, who for the first three years of his career, would be hidden in the outfield because everyone knew he could not catch a ball to save his life. How he went from that to being in the slips, I have zero idea. Brooks needs to be in the slips. Brooks at first, Holder at second, either Braithwaite or Chase at third. Put Bravo in the gully or backward point if you believe his catching is suddenly oh-so-much better. Anyways, I was talking about Taylor. Yeah, he don't drop those.

Bravo c&b Southee: Speaking of Bravo. Well, he really didn't do much wrong there except maybe he didn't follow through. Thing is, Southee is an absolute beast to get that with both hands in the follow through. That wasn't quite reflex either, that was a deliberate attempt to get both hands there. It had to stick though, and it did. I would say it's a bit unfortunate for Bravo, but that ball wasn't really there to be hit.

Campbell c Latham b Jamieson: The start of Jamieson with the ball in this game. Nothing wrong with the ball. I'm not sure Campbell really ever looked comfortable after he got hit in the voolnerables (to quote Sir Terry Pratchett). He probably should have gone off, it might have done his innings a bit better. Campbell's spot in the squad has to be under serious consideration by now. He's not made any score of significance in Test cricket. ODIs, yes, he's up there for selection. But I would drop him from the Test team. He adds nothing to this squad and due to Covid, there have been a couple of players in the A team that can put their hands up. Shayne Mosely is one. Not Brandon King, he more often than not chokes in big matches. But there are others.

Chase b Jamieson: Well, not much you can do about that inswinging ball. Except perhaps get the bat down in time. Great delivery, no batsman wants to face that first up. Chase hasn't done much with the bat in the last few games, even before this series. And I don't subscribe to the theory that he's a batting spin all rounder either. If you want to play him as a batsman who can occasionally bowl a bit, sort of like Ramnaresh Sarwan, or Shivnarine Chanderpaul early on in his career, then that's fine. Even Kane Williamson has some Test wickets to his name, but he's a batsman first and foremost. You cannot play Chase as your only spinner on the basis of a couple of good performances with the ball. Now, in these Tests it's fine because the pitches support the seamers. You don't need a specialist spinner, a couple or three part-timers will suit you well. But on other pitches, you absolutely cannot have Chase as the only spinner. But make no doubt, that ball that got him out was amazing to watch.

Brooks b Jamieson: He was doing well. Brooks was playing according to the match situation. See one of my above posts for the reference. He wasn't playing aggressively. Blackwood was doing that just fine. He was content to just defend, and maybe take a single or double here and there. He was looking good. Until he had a mental lapse and left one on line. Couldn't have been length, he had to know it was bouncing around stump height. Jamieson is tall but he ain't no giant. Couldn't have been length. Had to have been line, and he couldn't have known that the ball would have seamed in. And rather than try to get the bat down and thus look even more embarrassing he just kept the arms up and hoped. But he hoped against hope, and the ball clipped the bails. The heavy bails, too. These bails used in this game aren't the regular nice smooth good-looking-on-TV bails. Because of the wind, these are the heavy bails, made roughly out of good solid wood. Funny thing, even those heavy bails kept getting blown off yesterday multiple times. The wind was a lot less today. If they had kept being blown off today, the umpires would have gone without bails altogether and Brooks would have been not out, because that ball did not touch the stumps at all. It just clipped the off bail.

Blackwood c Latham b Southee: Well, that was just a good ball. Blackwood has shown that all five feet and very few inches of him is a fighter, and he will not care what position his team is in, he will fight. I like that, and I wish that sort of mentality rubs off on some of the other batsmen. Sigh. When your number 6 is your best batsman, it's time to rethink things, as @wasteyouryouth said before. But that was a good ball to dismiss him.

Holder c Boult b Jamieson: The less said about this atrocity of a dismissal, the better. Holder has been riding high on his 200 not out a couple years ago and good bowling performances in the Caribbean. He did not perform in England, he hasn't performed in New Zealand so far, and he really only has, barring a miracle, one final batting performance left to change that. He's not captained the team well, he's not done a thing right except winning the toss. You've got the Kiwis three down by lunch on the first Day of the game. Oh, well no issues, I'll bowl myself and let my two strike bowlers have about an hour's rest! A 3 over...or ever 2 over spell from Shannon Gabriel, my most aggressive bowler? Nah, that's fine. Me and Joseph will sort things out. Oh, Joseph, I'll bowl with the wind because even though you're the actual fast bowler here, I think it's better if you run into the wind and I get the help to keep the ball so that the batsmen can leave 5 out of 6 in the over. Nah I won't attack the stumps, what's the point? The corridor? I want to be economical, damnit. Yeah, you bitch, that's why you've gone wicketless all series. And your batting ain't helping...honestly just horrible captaincy from Holder in these past two matches. This one in particular. But the WICB will stick with him. They stuck with Darren Sammy right up until they dumped him, didn't they? Keep it up, Holder, you'll find yourself in the Sammy file before long.

Joseph c Watling b Jamieson: Well you didn't expect lightning to strike twice, did you? Joseph will have more half centuries in Test cricket, but he'll probably never top that high score. A good ball though.

Yeah.

I have a sort of Stockholm Syndrome with my team. I hate them so much but I love them more. I just dunno. Sigh.

Until Day 3.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
The absolute state of things when not only is your number six showing up as consistently your best batsman, but it's Jermaine Blackwood - a guy who probably wouldn't have got a game in the 90s England side - then that's a real concern and suggests things have gone badly wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread