What field settings would you like to see?

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I think most people agree that the field settings in the game need a bit of sorting out, both which fields the AI uses and the fields on offer. now, I'm not a game coder, but I presume altering some pre-sets isn't the most complicated task in the world so I assume this is pretty much a definite in the patch.

If possible I'd love for the organisation menu of the fields to be sorted out a bit too, considering the organisation kinda works I'd assume this is going to be fixed too.

the wish list which may not happen is that I'd like there to be different fields in ODI and tests and even more brilliantly would be some slots for user created fields. (a cherry on top would be finding some place to put a brief description of the bowling tactics and the AI choosing fields accordingly based on their tactics, giving batsmen the chance to guess bowlers intentions and help users select the correct field, this would be a massive gameplay element though so it's not really realistic to expect it in a patch unless this is nearly already in the game and just needs some signposting)

Anyway I don't see the need for quite as many fields as is in the original game, for me you could probably get away with 8 each of attacking, neutral and defensive for spin and pace (5 for round the wicket, 5 for over), and the same again for ODI cricket but 10 may be a nice number.

however, the ideas for some fields would probably be a good idea as it's a pretty shadey area and I don't envy big ant having to come up with 60 fields when I'd struggle to come up with 10.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I would like the AI to have aggressive field when a new batsman comes in...And they should be having a balanced field during mid overs and Bowl according to the field...And when they place slips,they have to bowl outside off and swing it to get edges..More realistic approach...Placing slips and bowling on legs is of no use....

Last edited:

maxwasim

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
the thread shd be - what kinda field u dont wanna see...

1. more than 5 fielders on the boundary.
2. more than 5 fielders on the leg side.
3. more than 2 fielders behind square on the leg
4. silly mid off n mid on
5. slips/fly slips in the middle overs of an odi

joejoe018

Associate Cricketer
The main thing I hate about the fields is in limited overs cricket ( ODI, T20 ) as an opener in career I like to dominate in the powerplay and play over the top, but once I score a few boundaries they suddenly have 4 in the outfield and I have to go for ground shot which ruins the opening experience for me.

raydeal316

School Cricketer
Hi , Good afternoon guys. Its my first time posting something in a discussion forum. I have seen most of the videos of DBC 14 and it promises to be a good game. I don't have the game yet as my ps3 blew up last year due to some power failure. Its a long wait for the pc version. While waiting for the game I was going through few of comments that people who have played the game has posted. I just wanted to share a few points maybe in the next year's version if they implement it could actually make the game even better.

Cricket is often considered a game between bat and ball. But we often miss the role of the fielding captain. This is how in my opinion it should be. The captain sets the field and asks the bowler to bowl according to the field. If the game could capture that we wont have unrealistic fields. Players should be given the option of choosing between 10 to 20 realistic fields(game plans) , and when they choose each field ,players should be provided hints on where (line and length... around/over) should they bowl and the surprise deliveries they can try for variation for that particular field. Fields ranging from very attacking to very defensive. when you set an attacking field you don't want the batsmen to hit it there. Like for instance in a test match you have attacking fields with lots of slips, you normally leave the front side of the wicket open so that you tempt the batsman to drive through the gap and edge it to slip. Off spinner over the wicket to right handed batsman with mid off up and long off. You want the batsman to take a chance and hit it over mid on with the spin off the bowl taking it to long off (that's when he doesn't reach the pitch of the ball).

In contrast to that when defending you want the batsman to find the fielders all the time. You put best your fielders on the boundary and expect the batsman to find them all the time.

Now as in cricket choosing a plan should be the easiest thing to do,making the bowler execute the plan should be tough. The game should capture that important aspect . Like for instance asking a bowler like Sunil Narine to stick to a plan should be easy than asking a bowler like Ishant Sharma. And the concept of bad and good balls and four different lengths should be implemented (yorker length, full, length, short). With Max swing and spin when full and Maximum seam when bowled at length. Bad ball should be a ball where you miss the length. When you miss a yorker it becomes a full toss. When you miss full length it becomes over pitched, when you miss length it becomes short. When you miss the shot ball it goes over the keeper for four byes. And bad balls should be indicated by a different colour( apart from yellow green and red) giving the batsman the time to hit it.

The frequency of bad balls should be higher for an average player( once in an over) and very less for a skilled player( once in three overs).Good balls are the ones which stick to the plan.Good balls doesn't need require a colour as it is meant to out smart the batsman. Hence should be tough even for good batsman.

And batting should have an option of slog shot. It should easiest shot to execute as even tail enders find it easy slogging. When you slog you don't think about foot placement. Every shot should be animated where you see the batsman moving the front foot away from the ball rather than towards the ball. It should be easy to execute in the joystick with just the analogue movement doing it for the player.Other shots requires more input combination of analogue and triggers buttons.(defensive ,text book , unorthodox shots requires more skills hence more inputs) A player who uses just the slog shot shouldn't survive more than 10 balls. It s not necessary that the player should get elevation all the time.Slog shots can also be ground shots. The intention is to hit it with power, elevation being variable according to the input. Defensive/deflected shots should be there where you can pick singles , twos and evens fours either side behind the wicket.

Player styles where different players have different abilities. Batting should be combination of defensive/deflected shots, text book shots(lofted/ground), slog shots and unorthodox shots, with the slog shots having the easiest input(just the analogue). Players like Dhoni should be good at deflected shots and slog . A player like Micheal Clarke should good at defensive and text book shots. Devillers good at unorthodox and slog. Running when batting should be a skill.

When it comes to bowling some bowlers good at following attack game plan(getting wickets, breaking partnerships) , some good at defensive game plan( bowling death overs) and some good at both.

Thanks and regards,
Raymond.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dutch

Great first time post. I have edited it to make it more easy to read. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread