What to do with the Indian XI - An outsider's view

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
OK this seems like a good time to talk about India's Test XI - as every man and his dog and cat seem to have an opinion. Here's what I would do:

The India masterplan...

Drop Gambhir - why Gambhir and not Sehwag? Gambhir's failed just as hard as Sehwag has in the last 2 tours and Sehwag's the better player (Sehwag arguably has bigger holes in his game, but has bigger strengths IMO), Viru's also the more popular player and also the older player. That means Gambhir's got time to improve his game. He has the talent, but not the technique at present so if he can put in some hard yards in domestic cricket or preferably county cricket to improve himself I think he could come back as one of India's most important players. Either way the opening partnership isn't working and needs to be shaken up.

Encourage Laxman or Dravid to retire - I'd prefer Laxman, because I think Dravid deserves to go out on his own terms (given his 13,000+ runs and excellence in England last year) and his style of defensiveness would be a good fit in a new look Indian team. There just needs to be some new blood in there to gain experience sooner rather than later. Of course maybe Tendulkar shocks everyone and retires with 99 centuries. Whoever 'volunteers' first, I don't think India can afford to retain all 3 any longer, as it's retarding the team's development.

Send Sehwag down the order - This is where he should end up anyway after the big 3 retire, because it will let him play against spin more which he loves and on overseas tours will get him away from the new ball. To replace Sehwag at the top, I'd move Dravid up to open until he retires, with the idea that Gambhir will come back to take Dravid's spot once GG gets his form and technique sorted out a bit.

So here's my adjusted top 6:
Dravid
Rahane
Kohli - looks an excellent long term option at #3, so get him in there now I reckon
Tendulkar
Sehwag
Rohit Sharma

Now to the bowlers...
Zaheer is the leader of the attack and did OK here in Aus. No question about his spot.

Keep the youngsters - Yadav and Ashwin are new to Test cricket and while they didn't have great series, they each showed some potential at times. I think it would be harsh to drop either of them, as they could both use the experiences in Australia to help build their games. More time is needed to evaluate their true abilities.

Drop Ishant - He was unlucky at times in this series, but he just looks a bit lost in what length he needs to bowl. His record before this series has been poor too and I think it's time that he went back to domestic cricket to work on some things and to regain his edge. He needs the Aussie length makeover - bowl much fuller. In fact for this reason I would keep Ishant out of as much limited overs cricket as possible, to learn the Test length again. Like Gambhir, Ishant has the talent to be one of India's best, he just needs to sort himself out a bit.

Tougher question is who would your 3rd paceman be. Vinay Kumar's selection was bagged on these forums and he went ahead and got slathered around the WACA. Praveen Kumar's first in line I imagine. Aaron might be worth an extended go. Or Mithun. Maybe even Sreesanth. I'd put out the challenge to India's pacemen that the 3rd spot is up for grabs and see who puts up their hand.

So India's 5 bowlers for the next Test series would be:
Ashwin
Ohja
Zaheer
Yadav
Praveen (or whoever steps up their game)

I haven't mentioned MS Dhoni, but I think he should stay for the moment. Probably still as captain too. Hard to say, because I don't know how truly respected he is in the dressing room. If the players still want to play hard for him, then I say give Dhoni a chance to keep the job and show some improvement.

So there's my view - tell us yours!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
If Dravid decides to retire what would you do with the opener spot you have him in?

From what I know of Indian cricket I'd say that lineup looks good. Laxman will definitely be gone one way or another, he is expendable compared to Dravid and Tendulkar.

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
IMO , seeing we play all test at home for next 2 years now with if the tour of Pakistan happens.

This is India's schedule for this calender year

Host Pakistan - 3 Tests & 5 ODI's in March-April
Away at Sri Lanka for 3 Tests in July-August
Host New Zealand for 3 Tests in August September
Host England for 4 Tests in November - December

For next calender year the schedule is

Host England for 1T20, 7 ODI's (Our actually first bilateral series after Pakistan Series also that series is doubt)

Host Australia for 4 Tests in Feb-March
Away to Zimbabwe for 3 ODI's
Host Australia for 7 ODI's & 1 T20
Away at South Africa for 3 Test, 7 ODI's 2 T20's :facepalm
Away at New Zealand for 3 Test, 5 ODI, 1 T20

So seeing this majority cricket we play is at SC or back home tbh.

Now is the time to dominate again as other teams have done. India have been winning tbh at home but not as convincing as England and Australia have done against them a WHITEWASH.

They need to groom youngsters and my lineup would be

Abhimanyu Mithun
Gautam Gambhir
Virat Kohli
Rohit Sharma
Virender Sehwag
Cheteshwar Pujara
MS Dhoni/Wriddhiman Saha
R Ashwin/Harbhajan Singh
Umesh Yadav/Varun Aaron
Zaheer Khan/
Praveen Kumar/Abu Nechim

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
If Dravid stays, I'd move him down the order, not up. Having less pressure on him could help him as it has Ponting.

Atharv

Club Cricketer
OK this seems like a good time to talk about India's Test XI - as every man and his dog and cat seem to have an opinion.

I don't have a cat or dog , just my opinion :D

Even if Sehwag is pushed down the order he will face the same problems Laxman is facing right now . It would be great if Sehwag succeeds down the order, but I doubt it . Drop Sehwag , Laxman , Bring in Rahane/Sharma/Pujara/Badrinath .

Rahane
Gambhir
Dravid
Tendulkar
Sharma/Pujara/Badrinath
Kohli
Dhoni(doubtful Saha is also good)
Zak
Ashwin/Ojha
Sharma/Varun
Yadav.

1iram1

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Abhimanyu Mithun
Gautam Gambhir
Virat Kohli
Rohit Sharma
Virender Sehwag
Cheteshwar Pujara
MS Dhoni/Wriddhiman Saha
R Ashwin/Harbhajan Singh
Umesh Yadav/Varun Aaron
Zaheer Khan/
Praveen Kumar/Abu Nechim

He may be a mediocre bowler but that doesn't mean hes good enough to open :p. Surely you mean Abhinav Mukund?

Last edited:

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Why are you guys up for putting Sehwag lower. If he stays at the top me make more of an impact and sets things up for down below. He is better with the new ball. IMO drop Dhoni. Why is Raina not in test team, PLayers like Pujara not in the test team. Where is the Bhajji, you can't go play Australia with just one experienced bowler (Zaheer Khan).

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Why are you guys up for putting Sehwag lower. If he stays at the top me make more of an impact and sets things up for down below. He is better with the new ball. IMO drop Dhoni. Why is Raina not in test team, PLayers like Pujara not in the test team. Where is the Bhajji, you can't go play Australia with just one experienced bowler (Zaheer Khan).

Tell me you're joking.

aayush93

Club Cricketer
Because of indian selector short term thinking India Test cricket is no where right now. Few years back when India was winning i thought if we keep winning like this then our seniors players will never retire and our respectable selector also didn't looked towards the future.

The only thing which i liked about selectors in this Aus tour was that they shown faith in Kohli, but then in my mind question comes that why didn't they shown same faith in Badrinath three years ago.

Now, India Next Test series is in August against NZ (Pakistan series is cancelled and i think india will not play with SL till 2015 according to new icc calendar). So in that series Selector will have to show guts to drop some non-performers and bring new players and they can easily drop some senior players these time as every cricket fan in india want changes now. So, If selector can show some commitement, then i am pretty confident that we can again produce very strong batting lineup again in coming years.

-> If any of the indian senior players decides to retire before selector drops them, then i believe that player should be given a Test match for his farewell as those senior players are Legends.

If i was selector i would pick this lineup against NZ (although its too early to pick)

Rahane/Mukund (both are heavy run getters in DC)
Sehwag
Kohli
Sachin (i could have chosen RD or VVS for this place but Sachin looks fitter than both of them, so he won't be burden on team even if he doesn't score hundreds or fifty.)
Rohit
Pujara/ Tiwary /Badrinath
Dhoni (C)
Ashwin
Yadav / Ishant / Praveen
Ojha
Zaheer (he should bat at this No only)

Gambhir has lot to offer to Indian cricket in next 5-6 years but right now i feel he should go to ranji cricket and score some big hundred because he is facing problems in converting his 20-30 into big one and India need old Gambhir asap.

Sehwag should be given chance as he can still win the matches for INDIA in SC single handedly and another important reason is that their is only 1 Senior Batsman in the team so you need Sehwag up the order to guide young players.

Thanks to whitewash against Aus, Indian fans can expect BCCI to bring changes in (domestic structure, teams, pitches etc..), which will help India to build a new team.
Worse has happen for Team India, now only good things will happen for us. :cheers

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Gambhir has lot to offer to Indian cricket in next 5-6 years but right now i feel he should go to ranji cricket and score some big hundred because he is facing problems in converting his 20-30 into big one and India need old Gambhir asap.

Yes exactly! Gambhir could be the next captain and he's important to bring balance as a left hander too. But he can't do that playing like he is currently, so I say drop him temporarily for a long term gain. Same with Ishant. Both have a big role to play in Indian cricket's future. I drop them because I love :p

If Dravid decides to retire what would you do with the opener spot you have him in?

Probably keep Sehwag up there with Rahane and Laxman at #5 (or a new guy if Laxman retired too). Sehwag will go well opening at home, it's just that if he does well opening at home the selectors will be tempted to keep him opening permanently and I don't think that's in India's best interests. Someone who can open well at home AND away is the idea.

If Dravid stays, I'd move him down the order, not up. Having less pressure on him could help him as it has Ponting.

He may well do better down lower, that's true. I was a bit reticent about putting Dravid up there, but if he's playing well he can handle it. And to be frank, if he's not playing well - it's time for him to move on. He's 40 this year, the team's future is more important than what's best for Dravid.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Opening - I would retain Gambhir and drop Sehwag. IMO, Sehwag's luck is running out and his technique is almost zero. His hand eye co-ordination will help him in subcontinent but abroad, he is hopelessly placed. Gambhir needs to work on his short ball technique better, but he has shown good temperament and technique to give me belief he can sort out his stuff. To replace Sehwag, I would bring in Abhinav Mukund back and give him a decent solid run in test cricket. And have Ajinkya Rahane as backup opener.

Final - Gambhir and Mukund as openers, backup: A Rahane

Middle Order - Laxman definitely to go. But the guy replacing him should be Cheteshwar Pujara. This boy did well against Australia at home in that test India won, and he has shown Dravidesque technique and the ability to play marathon innings. He was unfortunate to not go to Australia and he is higher in the pecking order than Rohit Sharma. I would pitch in Pujara at one down, and move Dravid down the order (as shravi said too). After a series or two at home (once Pujara settles in), I would phase out Dravid next and bring in Rohit Sharma. And finally, Tendulkar being phased out for either Yuvraj Singh or Suresh Raina (the reason being, we would be helped by a left hander in the middle order and also these two have played quite a few tests. Yuvraj has better chances than Raina because his short ball weakness is non-existent, and his moving ball weakness can be worked upon.

Final - Pujara at No.3, Tendulkar at No.4, Kohli at No.5, Dravid at No.6 (Kohli moves to No.4 once Tendulkar retires, Yuvraj at No.5 and Rohit Sharma at No.6)

Wicketkeeper - Wriddhiman Saha for MS Dhoni. This is a very straightforward one. Dhoni doesnt have the technique for batting in test cricket, and his wicketkeeping is no great shakes. With Dhoni already hinting at test retirement, his interest in the format seems to have already waned. So to make things easy for him, he can be dispensed with ASAP.

Final - W. Saha at No.7

Bowlers - Ashwin and Ojha need to be persisted with. Especially Ashwin who improved as the series went by. Proper guidance will take him really far. I see him as our next Kumble with better batting capabilities than Kumble. If Ashwin goes downhill consistently, then we always have Harbhajan to fall back on. Ojha needs to stay and be given chances too.

I feel Ishant Sharma needs a season of county cricket. He has huge potential to be a star player for India, but he needs to sort his lengths out and fine tune his game at county level. A season of county cricket rejuvenated Zaheer, and I dont see why it cant do the same for Ishant. Also bring back Praveen Kumar in place of Ishant (while sending Ishant to county cricket) and once Ishant comes back from county cricket, put Ishant back in for Zaheer (most likely Zaheer might be over in another year or two) and keep Praveen. Retain Yadav, and have Varun Aaron, Irfan Pathan and Sreesanth as the backup seamers (Sree for the aggro and he is a good enough test bowler). Forget the likes of Munaf, RP, Nehra, Vinay Kumar.

Final - Zaheer Khan (Ishant in place of Zaheer once Ishant is back), Praveen Kumar, Umesh Yadav, Varun Aaron, Irfan Pathan and S Sreesanth

Captain - Virat Kohli or Gautam Gambhir

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Sorry Sai, I don't care if they're left handed, Yuvraj and Raina shouldn't come near the test XI ever again. They aren't good enough and they never will be. Yuvraj is already 30 and would only be a stop-gap measure. I don't think it's wise playing him in tests because his fitness is already an issue and he already plays a lot of limited overs cricket.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Opening - I would retain Gambhir and drop Sehwag. IMO, Sehwag's luck is running out and his technique is almost zero. His hand eye co-ordination will help him in subcontinent but abroad, he is hopelessly placed. Gambhir needs to work on his short ball technique better, but he has shown good temperament and technique to give me belief he can sort out his stuff. To replace Sehwag, I would bring in Abhinav Mukund back and give him a decent solid run in test cricket. And have Ajinkya Rahane as backup opener.

Final - Gambhir and Mukund as openers, backup: A Rahane

Middle Order - Laxman definitely to go. But the guy replacing him should be Cheteshwar Pujara. This boy did well against Australia at home in that test India won, and he has shown Dravidesque technique and the ability to play marathon innings. He was unfortunate to not go to Australia and he is higher in the pecking order than Rohit Sharma. I would pitch in Pujara at one down, and move Dravid down the order (as shravi said too). After a series or two at home (once Pujara settles in), I would phase out Dravid next and bring in Rohit Sharma. And finally, Tendulkar being phased out for either Yuvraj Singh or Suresh Raina (the reason being, we would be helped by a left hander in the middle order and also these two have played quite a few tests. Yuvraj has better chances than Raina because his short ball weakness is non-existent, and his moving ball weakness can be worked upon.

Final - Pujara at No.3, Tendulkar at No.4, Kohli at No.5, Dravid at No.6 (Kohli moves to No.4 once Tendulkar retires, Yuvraj at No.5 and Rohit Sharma at No.6)

Wicketkeeper - Wriddhiman Saha for MS Dhoni. This is a very straightforward one. Dhoni doesnt have the technique for batting in test cricket, and his wicketkeeping is no great shakes. With Dhoni already hinting at test retirement, his interest in the format seems to have already waned. So to make things easy for him, he can be dispensed with ASAP.

Final - W. Saha at No.7

Bowlers - Ashwin and Ojha need to be persisted with. Especially Ashwin who improved as the series went by. Proper guidance will take him really far. I see him as our next Kumble with better batting capabilities than Kumble. If Ashwin goes downhill consistently, then we always have Harbhajan to fall back on. Ojha needs to stay and be given chances too.

I feel Ishant Sharma needs a season of county cricket. He has huge potential to be a star player for India, but he needs to sort his lengths out and fine tune his game at county level. A season of county cricket rejuvenated Zaheer, and I dont see why it cant do the same for Ishant. Also bring back Praveen Kumar in place of Ishant (while sending Ishant to county cricket) and once Ishant comes back from county cricket, put Ishant back in for Zaheer (most likely Zaheer might be over in another year or two) and keep Praveen. Retain Yadav, and have Varun Aaron, Irfan Pathan and Sreesanth as the backup seamers (Sree for the aggro and he is a good enough test bowler). Forget the likes of Munaf, RP, Nehra, Vinay Kumar.

Final - Zaheer Khan (Ishant in place of Zaheer once Ishant is back), Praveen Kumar, Umesh Yadav, Varun Aaron, Irfan Pathan and S Sreesanth

Captain - Virat Kohli or Gautam Gambhir

I absolutely agree with you, but I feel Yuvi's career has almost come to an end. With some tumor in his lung, by the time he recovers, it'll be easily early 2013. To regain his lost form, he at least needs six - eight months, which means he will return to India in a year and half. Any slight injury in IPL, he'll be out again. So what I feel is, play Yuvi only in T20 format, if at all he returns, just like how Robin Uthappa plays now.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
A year and a half for Yuvi to return? I read somewhere that he will be fit in another 6-8 months. Also shravi, I feel if not Yuvraj atleast Raina might return to the test team in the future as a better player. Saurav Ganguly was a major problem against short pitched bowling, yet he survived and lived long enough in test cricket. I dont see why Raina cant do it. The boy has loads of good positive attitude and is an aggressive character. A left hander and that too an aggressive one adds good balance to the batting lineup.

takeezheedoff

School Cricketer
Indian Cricket

I think it is back to the drawing board. No more worshipping of the little master. he was great now he aint. Let him move on.

Blood more youngsters and stop the petty backroom politics. You know who you are!

Round up 20 or 30 thousand youngsters and put some real money into the grassroots game rather than leave it up to the rich hasbeens.....

Users who are viewing this thread