Which bat is for me ?

goodia

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Right a few questions :

1. I am about 6ft tall which size bat should i use size 6 or adults ?

2. I am thinking about joining a team but im not brill but im ok at batting i think do you think i should and what team would i play for youth or mens ?

3. Is there a high standard required for a 15 year old would you say ?

4. An finally i do not wana soend all the money on all the equiptment woudli have to just to train a few times and what bat would you recommend as i do not wanna spend too much ?

THANKS​

Try harrow,and i wouldn't recommend a particular bat as you really should look at which one you feel most comfortable with

why did you start a new thread on this when you could have posted this in the other thread?

Yes, it is a nice bat but a ?7.00 bat won't withstand a cricket ball

Last edited:
Kashmir willow, though.
Does Dhoni use Kashmir or English? Because on the RBK bats that the INTL players use, i don't see the "ton" at the toe of the bat.
thats a pretty cheap bat. 35USD for it total...yeah its nice.

offdriven4 said:
Looks nice,but i'd agree with will here,?7 is too cheap
well considering its an Indian bat i'd say the seller is probably making a profit.
Its a good bat and my friend uses it. Has a big middle and some thick edges.

If the photo is indicative of what you're actually buying then you might as well use a plank.

It's going to be rock hard with very little 'go' to the middle. Also, just look at the knots and blemishes all over the face, a really horrible bit of willow.

When it comes to cricket bats the adage 'you get what you pay for' generally rings true.

goodia said:
Right a few questions :

1. I am about 6ft tall which size bat should i use size 6 or adults ?

2. I am thinking about joining a team but im not brill but im ok at batting i think do you think i should and what team would i play for youth or mens ?

3. Is there a high standard required for a 15 year old would you say ?

4. An finally i do not wana soend all the money on all the equiptment woudli have to just to train a few times and what bat would you recommend as i do not wanna spend too much ?

THANKS​
1. You want a full size bat, short handle.

2. Give it a go and see what you think. Most teams will run youth sections as well as having senior players who are happy to give out advice. If you're good enough for selection for an adult team then you'll get selected.

3. Not quite sure what you're asking here but I'm sure that after playing for a for weeks you'll quickly find out the right standard you should be playing at.

4. Don't worry too much about buying equipment at the moment as most clubs have kit which you can use. The most important thing is just go along and give it a try. If after a few weeks you decide that crickets not for you then you haven't lost anything.

It's Kashmir, which is not meant to be used with proper cricket bats. I've got huge cracks all over mine from one net session, when I had my first net.

Here is a link which discusses the virtues of using either English or Kashmir willow.

I think it's a fair summary and goes along the advice that I normally give, although the bat in this thread really isn't worth the ?7.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to ask people on here which bat is for you. I bought a GN Powerbow for this season and its perfect for me. This does not mean it is perfect for you.

Here's what I look for when looking for a bat.

1. Where is the sweet spot? I tend to hit the ball low on the bat due to the clay surface prevalent where I live and the Powerbow in that sense for me is perfect, it has a very low middle. I had a net with somebody a few days ago and he said he hit the ball very low too, however, some throwdowns showed this was not the case. Get somebody to do the same with you, preferably with a bat you haven't used before. This will show where you tend to hit the ball, and this will allow you get a bat which suits you.

2. How many grains does it have? The more grains the better. With cheapy grade 3 willow you'll see around 4 or 5 grains, whereas the top players have around 11-12. This is due to the wood being older, grown slower, and therefore less likely to crack in a major way.

3. Are there any knots in the bat? Try to avoid buying bats with knots near the middle of the bat. Knots make the bat denser, and as such the ball doesn't bounce as well off it. Knots around the shoulder area are of less concern.

4. Get into your stance and play a few defensive shots and a drive or two. Does it feel comfortable? If not, it is not weighted for your style of play. Going back to my Powerbow, it had a nice pickup to it that suited me. I picked up a Slazeger SXi and instantly felt uncomfortable with it. This isn't to say the Slazenger is a poor bat, it just doesnt suit my wristy style of play.

5. What price is it? This may sound a bit strange to put last, but with a bat that is going to last you a few years at least, it is best to spend 100 quid on a bat that you fall in love with than buy a 85 quid one that feels a bit weird. That 15 quid can be the difference between you playing the game year in year out and giving up.

The point really is that just because Freddie uses a Woodworm, and you like him, doesnt mean you should buy a Woodworm. First of all in Flintoff's case his bat is nothing like retail Woodworms, it is custom made. Secondly he is almost certainly of a different style and physique to you, and his particularly bat may not suit you. All I can say is, if you are committed to buying a bat, go to a store and try them all, regardless of how popular they are. If somebody says "Buy a such and such" then I beg of you to ignore them.

Almost_Austwick is right though. If at your age you haven't really developed a batting style and are not committed to playing the game year after year, its best to save yours (or your parents) money and wait.

Last edited:
First of all don't buy Kashmir willow for anything except very social cricket, indoor cricket, or backyard cricket.

Does Dhoni use Kashmir or English? Because on the RBK bats that the INTL players use, i don't see the "ton" at the toe of the bat.

I'd almost guarentee that any international player worth his salt uses English.

Users who are viewing this thread