Votes: 4 44.4%
  • England

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by m_vaughan
...you dont get my point, the epl is nothing without all the foreign stars.

But you could say likewise about about the Primera League, Serie A , the Bundesliga etc.

So you could say that international stars play in the English Premier League because it has high standards compared to other leagues? I don't know...

dufferama,
there's a never-ending debate as to whether the best league in Europe is in England, Spain, Italy, Germany etc. It depends on how you like your football, IMO. I love watching premiership (England) matches because they are generally high quality, attacking matches. I also like Spain's Primera League, for the same reasons, whereas Italy's Serie A is a little slower, slightly more defense minded.
World football stars tend to go where the money is, who will pay the best wages etc (from my cynical point of view). A few years back there were only a few foreign players in England, but since the introduction of Sky's money we've seen an influx of them. Similarly you'll see a whole host of foreign players in all the major European leagues. Big teams like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus, the Milan clubs, Man U , now Chelsea (thanks to Abramovic's money) etc etc all have top drawer foreigners in their ranks. Funnily enough, the Chamions League final this year was contested by two teams from supposedly 'weaker' leagues, France (Monaco) and Portugal (Porto). Perhaps the worm is turning and in a few years we'll see the majority of French players playing in France, Dutch in Holland, etc. Then we could have a proper debate as to what domestic league has the best domestic players.

One other thing though, the English Premiership will be a damn site stronger next season now that Crystal Palace are in it!
;)

Last edited:
what a game it was btwn England and Portugal.... I thougth England should have played little offensive in 2nd half
I dont want football too much so not know all the rules...Can someone tell me why England's goal was disqualified in almost at the end of 2nd half?

ok I read about it on the euro 2004 site... it was ruled out due to foul on Ricardo by John Terry

To be honest I dont think England were playing a football match after they got that early goal. Fortunately Portugal werent able to make full use of their posession. But at the end, Portugal, who played better, and played with a lot more intent and aggression, won the match. They deserve to be in the semis. Remember they knocked out Spain as well.

Yeah, the ref gave it as a foul. The goal would've been given in a Premiership match in this country, but the continentals view any type of contact on the keeper as a foul.
But the bottom line is that if it had been given England would've been lucky to have won the game. Portugal deserved it, no doubt. England couldn't thread 2 passes together, and were hitting long balls towards Owen and Vassell which were coming straight back. Under Eriksson, England are always the same; get a goal then sit back on it and try to defend the lead. Far, far too negative. Fair play to Portugal, they kept on passing the ball and coming at England, who were dropping deeper and deeper; an equaliser was inevitable, as it was against France a couple of weeks back.
Ashley Cole was superb; as for Beckham, he was a waste of space throughout the tournament. Scholari, (the Portugeuse manager) had the bottle to take their 'star player' off (Figo). Eriksson didn't, although Beckham is far from a star player, IMO.

Right, that's my rant over. I'm backing the Czechs now
;) .

France out!!!!! who would have believed that?

Greece 1-0 France

You know what I think the final will be between Portugal and the Czechs.

You may well be right m_vaughan. France were poor, but all credit to Greece, who played with discipline and took their goal superbly. Nice to see the froggies out!

Thanks Jonah on your comprehensive reply.

It is good how England and France are out now. It gives the other teams confidence that they can beat the best teams in the world.

From Duffarama.

Maybe, the reason why the big teams (France, Germany, Italy, England and Spain) are out is because their players are exhausted playing too much club football. Remember the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie-A, and the Premier League are very tough leagues, and takes a lot out of the players. And since the members of the national mostly play for the bigger clubs, they are also involved in Champions League or Uefa Cup football. Maybe just too much club football. But full credit to the likes of Greece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread