Win 7 RC about to expire??!

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Remember, you can always use something like dropbox.com that gives you 2 free GB of online storage backup. More importantly, if you do not have an external HDD, you can use dropbox to backup 2GB of data at a time on another computer.

I've backed up using Windows 7 default backup options - I'm a bit confused though - the backup folders on F:\ are coming up as a few KB and the backup size is actually around 40gb. Are they just massively compressed or something?

One other thing - when it comes to restoring my files after installing Win 7, how do I prevent the backup from overwriting the clean Win 7 installation? The backup's a complete copy of what was on D:\, so surely that includes the old (Win RC) installation? This is actually the first time I've used backup in this way, so I'm a complete newbie at it, I'm afraid!

Anyway, Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade's ordered now - should be here before the March 1st 'timebomb'. :)

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
When I installed the new version it simply created a directory called windows.old. You can export/import all your themes and settings as well.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Thanks for that, Colin. I'll do the same and the backup will be there if I need it. :) Did the full version come with any extra stuff like themes and so on?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I've now installed Win 7 and most things are fine. There are a couple of snags: ZoneAlarm doesn't want to work anymore - is there a 64bit version? I've come to trust and rely upon ZoneAlarm. Also, all my bookmarks for Firefox have gone. I backed up everything on the partition that was going to be affected (D:\), so does anyone know how to get them back? I've already restored the files from the backup.

Edit: Zone Alarm's ok now - I downloaded it again from the site, so the latest version must support 64bit. Don't know what to do about the shortcuts - I don't want to have to go and find them all again.

One other thing - how do you change the default drive where things are installed? It's usually C:\ - I want it to install to D:\.

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Win 7 is now doing that constant disk accessing thing again, but I was expecting that - it did the same thing with the RC - it settled down after a while.

One thing that's a bit of a problem:

I'm getting a message that there's a problem with the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter (a network adapter according to Device Manager). It advises to reinstall the driver, but when I choose that, it comes up with 'driver software not correctly installed'. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with Win 7 being 64bit now, as opposed to the 32bit RC - what do you guys think?

One other thing - compared to the RC, Win 7 is shutting down quite slowly!

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I'm assuming you did a clean install, right?

Looks like the Teredo issue is related to ZoneAlarm: Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adaptor not working

For your bookmarks, you have probably lost them. Bookmarks are typically stored in the Application Data folder. If you didn't back that folder up, then you'll have lost the bookmarks. Firefox even had an import/export function in their Bookmarks manager that you could've used.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
What does this 'Teredo tunneling' thing do, anyway? I read something about 'IPv6' - what is that, and do I need it? If not, I'll do what several others appear to have done and uninstall the Teredo.

Windows7Guy

School Cricketer
Hello MasterBlaster76,

Yes, with regard to Windows RC:

This is a reminder post for all the Windows 7 users still using the Release Candidate (build 7100) that was released to the public in May 2009. Bi-hourly shutdowns of this build began on March 1, 2010. This means that the user will be told to install a released version of Windows and their PC will shut down automatically every two hours. On June 1, 2010, if you are still on the Windows 7 RC, your license will expire and the non-genuine experience will be triggered. Your wallpaper will be removed and "This copy of Windows is not genuine" will be displayed in the lower right corner of your desktop, above the taskbar. Starting on February 15, 2010, Windows 7 RC should have started giving daily prompts to remind you about the expiration.
If you want to continue using Windows 7, we recommend moving over to the Windows 7 RTM (build 7600) that was released to the public in October 2009. Microsoft explained that this would happen when it gave out free copies of the beta (which has already expired) and RC builds, and you've had plenty of time to move over. If you haven't reinstalled a final copy of Windows, do so as soon as possible so as to avoid problems in the next few weeks.

To buy and to see prices:
Windows 7: Get ready to buy Windows 7 for your own PC or a new one

Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Hello MasterBlaster76,

Yes, with regard to Windows RC:

This is a reminder post for all the Windows 7 users still using the Release Candidate (build 7100) that was released to the public in May 2009. Bi-hourly shutdowns of this build began on March 1, 2010. This means that the user will be told to install a released version of Windows and their PC will shut down automatically every two hours. On June 1, 2010, if you are still on the Windows 7 RC, your license will expire and the non-genuine experience will be triggered. Your wallpaper will be removed and "This copy of Windows is not genuine" will be displayed in the lower right corner of your desktop, above the taskbar. Starting on February 15, 2010, Windows 7 RC should have started giving daily prompts to remind you about the expiration.
If you want to continue using Windows 7, we recommend moving over to the Windows 7 RTM (build 7600) that was released to the public in October 2009. Microsoft explained that this would happen when it gave out free copies of the beta (which has already expired) and RC builds, and you've had plenty of time to move over. If you haven't reinstalled a final copy of Windows, do so as soon as possible so as to avoid problems in the next few weeks.

To buy and to see prices:
Windows 7: Get ready to buy Windows 7 for your own PC or a new one

Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

I've safely moved over to Win 7 Home Premium and am glad to report no major issues.
Can you tell me whether I need this Teredo Tunneling thing? Since you're MS Client Support, that should be right up your street. :)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I don't ever see myself going back to Win XP, neither do I have any older games that don't run on Win 7 (indeed, some that refused to run on XP run fine on Win 7), so I think I'll uninstall it and free up some space. Since I'm currently dual booting with Win 7 and Win XP, how do I go about uninstalling Win XP?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
That's a pain. Since I got Win 7, even though I installed it on D:\ all things have been saved to C:\ by default! How do you change that, by the way - make things change to being saved to D:\ by default?

Users who are viewing this thread