Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Finally the real successor to Windows XP?

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Hey guys. Yep, that's the latest(though not very latest) news that Windows Vista SP1 was released on tuesday. Many of you might have already downloaded it but for those who haven't, I happened to start this thread.

The stand-alone installer(which I find more appropriate) can be found here. Although Windows Update has a smaller download, but the size premium is justified when you know that you don't have to deal with stupid pre-requisite updates. With this installer, you just need to install it.

Now before I give my views on Vista SP1, I would like to give a couple of tips to people who want to do it, so that their experience is good with it. I happen to know all this because I've been trying to install this from Wed, while only succeeding yesterday. Here we go.

• Make sure you have atleast 5 GB of space in the drive you have installed Vista. Even though Vista recommends 4 GB, its must safer to go 5 GB.
  • Make sure that you don't have any updates in Windows update that have "failed" to install. You can check this by going to windows update and clicking on "View update history". If there is any one as failed, SP1 WONT install. That's one of the major problems I had too.
  • If you have any drivers like Realtek Audio or Intel GMA, uninstall them for a safer install of SP1. You can download the latest drivers and install them later.
  • Incase you do have the "failed" update problem, you have two options. The first is, that you insert your vista DVD and run an upgrade. This way, you won't lose out on any of your settings or data but the upgrade will reset your windows update problems, hence losing both, the installed and failed updates. But don't worry, when you install SP1, you won't need them, as SP1 already includes them. The second option is to contact Microsoft Technical Support about it, though I didn't get a response from them for 2 days.
  • Also, do check out Microsoft's own tips on doing this too.

And you should be ready to go. Now it comes down to views. Ahem....

My views are that yes, Vista SP1 has hit the nail on the head. Its returned the "snappy" feeling to windows, and a whole lot of stability and compatibility issues have been fixed. For example, Gamespy arcade did not work pre-SP1, but now it does. There have been numerous other fixes. Plus, the speed and memory management of the computer has been greatly improved. So I would say that yes, go for SP1, provided you follow the tips above, which would make sure a cleaner and safer install.

Now thinking about whether it is better or worse than xp is one's own choice. In my view, Microsoft has done their job well with SP1, and now its upto manufacturers and software companies to make better drivers and softwares for vista, or atleast make them compatible. XP has long matured, and therefore has that advantage, but we need to move on, And vista SP1 does provide the way finally.

I would really like others to also install SP1 and let us know their views. Cheers.
Kshitiz

It presents a solid array of technical improvements and optimisations, but the average user might be wondering where all the added functions are. It's not the rubber stamp that XP SP2 was, though that would be expecting a lot. Win2k went through a lot more SPs than XP has.

In terms of a definitive XP replacement, Microsoft are still yet to show us XAudio version 2, which would bring the hardware level functionality that was removed with the deprecation of DirectSound. In the mean time, that functionality is provided only by the OpenAL API and Creative's proprietary ALchemy program which converts DirectSound calls into OpenAL. This is not yet a positive alternative to DirectSound as developers can not use this.

Another issue that needs focus is x64. Solid performance and stability across the board in the x64 versions would be a serious reason to leave XP behind. I'm not sure it is good enough to simply expect the vendors to get up to speed, simply because it seems like they are lagging behind. I think AMD, Intel and Microsoft, being the driving force behind x64, need to more intensively support the development of x64 compatibility. The fact remains that all this 64 bit power is rather useless when it comes to actually trying to get the most out of it. Of course, I'm not expecting a service pack to deliver this either, so I guess this is a bit of a tangent.

yup my computer downloaded the upgrade automatically and yh some issues as mentioned above have been solved but there are still loads left to be solved although my computer was running very smoothly with very few errors before the upgrade...

I really needed this.. I hope it fixes my sound problem. I called up Lenovo and they refused to talk to me cause my warranty ended 2 weeks ago. :boxing

Well it should fix things up - Installing a Service Pack is like almost installing the windows again. But make sure that you download the standalone pack and follow the instructions I gave above. :)

Also, I just noted, that pre-SP1 my computers memory in idle state was occupied around 59%-60%. Now its down to 41%-42%. Terrific improvement. And the file copy has also noticeably sped up. Earlier when I used to copy assorted files from one partition to another, I got speeds like 16 MB/s - 19 MB/s. Now I get 26 MB/s +. I guess this has to do with the file write caching thing. Good job MS.

Last edited:
I tried installing the optional updates before going for the Service Pack. But the optional updates installed High Definition Smart Audio for my audio card and that totally removed the sound off my laptop. Had to restore the system back to when the updates were not there and that brought it back to normal.

Now how can I install this Service Pack? Is it absolutely essential to install these optional updates before installing the Service Pack 1?

do i really have to download this if i have vista? i'm scared it's gonne mess up my PC.
(I just got it on my update box today BTW)

My hard drive is only 80 GB with 10 for acer recovery...

heycn7.jpg

Last edited:
I tried installing the optional updates before going for the Service Pack. But the optional updates installed High Definition Smart Audio for my audio card and that totally removed the sound off my laptop. Had to restore the system back to when the updates were not there and that brought it back to normal.

Now how can I install this Service Pack? Is it absolutely essential to install these optional updates before installing the Service Pack 1?
No, they are not required if you install the standalone installer file. The installer installs the updates automatically if needed. Just make sure that you uninstall the audio driver and maybe display driver for the best install of Service Pack 1. You can reinstall them later. :) Also make sure that you have no "failed" updates in the Windows update.

do i really have to download this if i have vista? i'm scared it's gonne mess up my PC.
(I just got it on my update box today BTW)

My hard drive is only 80 GB with 10 for acer recovery...

heycn7.jpg
Usy, you need atleast 5GB for a clean install in your windows Drive. The update you are viewing IS the Service Pack 1. Surprisingly, since there are no other updates, means that you might have successfully installed the pre-requisites.(MS doesn't offer the SP1 in windows update if you don't install the pre-requisites.) Even though you can go on and install the SP1 from Windows Update, my advice would be to go with the standalone installer.

Any other troubleshooting or doubts guys then just tell me. :)

Last edited:
I have started that update, should i uninstall my Realtek Audio AND Intel GMA Graphic drivers?

properties do not say Realtek High Definition Audio version..

It will find itself when i reinstall?

I didn't bother with the standalone version I just used windows update. I did no preparation, didn't read the "what to do first" bit, just closed everything else and waited (a bloody long time). No issues, no problems with drivers. But then I had no issues or problems before I installed SP1.

SP1 frees alot of space BTW!

I was 20 GB now it's 23 GB free, on drive c.

Users who are viewing this thread