Wisden leading cricketer in the world 2011: Kumar Sangakkara

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
It was perhaps a closer run thing than normal, cricinfo didn't even rate sangakkara as worthy of a place in their test team for 2011, although a cursory glance at the comments shows they came under a lot of fire for his ommision, but Kumar Sangakkara was named the leading cricketer in the world by wisden.

Over all it's not too controversial a choice, Sri Lanka had a poor year but as ever he was at the fore of all their battles and it's nice to see one of the great under appreciated cricketers of this generation get his due.

Anyone got any alternative choices or disagree?

the 5 cricketers of the year were. (and remember, these are awarded only for performances in england)

Alastair Cook
- almost surreal he's just winning it, he's been around forever and has probably come to be considered englands best batsman recently.
Tim Bresnan - for stepping up to become a true all-rounder
Glenn Chapple - all rounder for lancs, instrumental in their county win
Alan Richardson - top wicket taker in division 1
Kumar Sangakkara - first time a player has won both awards in the same season.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Part of the problem with the format is that you can't win it more than once so, and no disrespect to Alan Richardson, he gets put in the same bracket as Alastair Cook and Kumar Sangakarra even though most people won't know who he is.
Cook should have won it 12 months ago anyway for his performance in the Ashes.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yeah it's always an interesting list - the 5. I like the tradition of it I guess, but I imagine the people at Wisden don't really. Must be a pain to select when there are so many who are ineligible for the list.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^^Actually, you are right. Looking at Sanga in England last year: Tests 5 innings of 26 or less, plus one absolutely meaningless 100 on day 5 of the final Test that was always going to be a draw because of the time lost. Then he made 221 runs in the ODIs, with 2 50s, but striking at only 68. 43* not out in 1 T20I in England, so the award probably isn't for that either...Lovely fella Sanga, but this looks undeserved. I'm guessing Dravid has won the award before, so it couldn't have been him.

As for the international award, Ajmal must have been mighty close. Michael Clarke has had a good last 12mths too.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
yeah, you are right. his leading cricketer award looks ok but the wisden one looks odd. the problem seems to be that england's consistency in their squad selection means their entire test team, apart from swann and bresnan who were also awarded, had already won the award.

and yeah, so had dravid in 2000.

I almost get the feeling that he was awarded it for his performance at the podium during the spirit of cricket awards.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Awarded an award because there was no one else who was eligible? :facepalm
I think it was more a political move really, what with Sanga's raging criticism of Sri Lankas cricketing system and in many ways, his cry for a united country rather than one which is divided along ethnic lines.

So Sanga won the leading cricketer, which I guess is the international version of the award. I can't think of anyone other than Ajmal that should have won it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread