Your Favorite Cricket match of all-time?

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Have a few of memorable matches I've attended/great games that I've enjoyed watching:

Two memorable games I've attended from GT20 Canada:
Vancouver vs Montreal (2018)
Toronto vs Winnipeg (2018)

Got to see players like Malinga, Narine, Pollard, Warner in person, and got one of my floppy cricket hats to be signed by Steve Smith, Chris Gayle, DreRuss, to name a few. Just an amazing experience seeing these great players in person and pretty close up too (as there weren't huge fences you'd see in the subcontinent) and could exchange a few words with the players too. Also, two close games of cricket which was enthralling to watch especially in person.

As for the ones I've enjoyed watching:

Gabba 2021: An amazing win from an Indian B team to beat a full strength Aussie side in Australia, still an unbelievable feat and you just couldn't write a better script.

Headingley 2019: Started watching the game on TV when England were 280 odd for 9, that was a killer knock from Stokes and there were so many moments where the Aussies were about to win but it was just Stokes' and England's day.

Tri Series 2013 Final (Ind vs SL): India were something like 187/9 needing 15 to win in the last over, that's where Dhoni came in and bashed Eranga for two 6's and a boundary and won the game.

WC Final 2019: Man, I was in literal shock after that super over for an hour or so. Unbelievable that a WC final had to go there and there was so much on the line, a gripping match that couldn't pull you from your seat. The boundary rule was complete BS but in the end England deserved the win for that amazing LO transformation from the previous WC. Just remember feeling so bad for NZ.

'92 WC Final: An underdog team in Pakistan being down and out before storming into the finals under a great leader is what everyone loves to see.

2016 IPL Final SRH vs RCB: Back when SRH actually had a decent middle order that indeed fired in this game. Remember Warner getting a brisk 80, with Yuvi and Cutting putting on some fireworks at the end. Then with RCB for 110/0 at around the 12th over, SRH came back to get their first trophy as a franchise (barring Deccan Chargers) which I enjoyed a lot.

As for the best, I'd probably go with the Gabba 2021 Test (for now at least).

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The best match I remember?

SA vs NZ 2015 WC Semi Final... Hands down...

Never had I cried at a team losing a match. But the sheer emotions that poured out of me when Grant Elliot hit that six. I burst into tears at that moment, since I so wanted SA to go ahead. And then to watch AB and Morkel cry on the field. It was just too much.

The closest any match gets to that, is the Headingly 2019 Test Match and the WC 2019 Final.

I don't know why the best matches I've seen don't involve India :p

B

Bigby Wolf

Dhoni's sprinting runout and Bangladesh's drama ... :p
Came here to make sure that someone has mentioned this.
That game was something else never ever I have lost & openly expressed emotions like that in a cricket match.

Started watching since 2003 WC as 9 year old kid but to the date barring this one no one got into nerves like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
It's been said before, but yeah that 4th innings 153* from Lara. I'm in Form 2 in secondary school and we're in class. I remember no teachers coming out to teach our class after lunch and us sending a couple people (because we were actually behaving for a change) to go ask the security guard at the gate with a radio what's the score, is Lara still there?

School ended at 2.05pm. Parents quickly swiped up their kids to go back to the car just to hear the radio. I was travelling home. In the bus on the way, the radio was on. Got home to hear that Walsh is in there with Lara. I'm thinking...Lara is there. But I didn't believe. I was just a preteen, only 12...couldn't even look at the TV.

Jason Gillespie had just taken Ambrose's wicket. Now he's bowling to Walsh. For those of you who only know Walsh as a bowler, this man had more stretches and twists and turns and rituals at the batting crease than the average player. If you never knew he was such an amazing fast bowler, you'd almost think he was just a superstitious batsman.

No-ball, moving away. Walsh fished at it like a genuine number 11. I'm hearing all of this from my family...as you know, Caribbean spectators make the best commentators. I still cannot watch, my family is basically commentating the game.

Short, hitting him on the wrist. Walsh walks away. My late grandpa is saying something about intimidation of tail-enders.

But one thing with our crowds/spectators/home-viewers...no matter how animated we are, we get totally silent when the bowler begins his run up.

Gillespie runs in...

...and then I heard this one line that is one of the best ever lines ever uttered in all of cricket commentary:

"That is stopping the yorker...dead."

At around 6.41ish in the embedded video you'd hear it. When I heard that, I knew we'd never lose. I was able to take my hands from my face and watch the end.

There may have been better cricket matches. There may have been better innings. But for me that was MY personal favourite.

(EDIT: A couple typos)

Last edited:

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
2005 Eng v Aus

2nd test Edgbaston, England win by 2 runs

lose that test and probably series defeat/drubbing , instead best series of all time imo

if DRS had been about the final wicket would have been given not out too.....:eek:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
India v Australia- CWC 2011
There was something about beating Australia. Somewhere deep down, I knew if we beat the sitting World Champions, we would take the Cup. Ponting's team,although a team in transition, still scared the shit outta those who grew up watching them romp from 1999 to 2007.

The one not including India:
South Africa v New Zealand- CWC 2015
A part of me wished this be the Final of the tournament, cause both teams had played exceedingly well during the CWC. It was unfortunate to see one bow out and the latter to lose in the Final. However, this game remains special cause of the intensity with which it was played. Neither team giving an inch, right up to the final delivery.

Still feel-this was SA's best chance after 1999 to win the Cup.

Users who are viewing this thread