Indian Premier League - General Discussion

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
KLR lambasted. Well, it was on the cards- Goenkas are a results driven bunch and so far all they have seen from the team is mere meek submission over the last 3 years. I expect them to not to retain KLR next year- they dropped MSD from captaincy at RPSG, so don't expect them to molly coddle Rahul on this one.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
KL needs to be spanked. He highly thinks of himself. He like Pandya are living in yesteryear talents. There are a lot of players who should no where be near the Indian squad and KL is one of the,.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I don't think poorly of Sanjiv Goenka actually. Someone has to bring these stars down. Public criticizing his approach should watch more of EPL and 'Drive to Survive' in order to understand how team owners are ruthless.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't think poorly of Sanjiv Goenka actually. Someone has to bring these stars down. Public criticizing his approach should watch more of EPL and 'Drive to Survive' in order to understand how team owners are ruthless.

I haven’t seen a single Prem chairman berate their own player or manager on the field after a game in recent times. Even when their team gets absolutely thrashed they barely show any emotion or react when shown on live TV. Half of the times they’re cowards who sack their manager and don’t have the courage to tell them directly, leaving them to find out via the press or other sources. You do have some clowns like ADL (and he hasn’t gone on the field and done anything akin to this either) but they’re very much the exception and not the norm.

The only reason why this is even getting support is because KL is the nation’s favourite punching bag for some reason.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Well, if the captain states before the game they are going to play fearlessly and end up gifting away the game, you don't expect the owner to simply sit pretty, do you?

SRH, Punjab,Delhi owners have been vocal in the past regarding their team's failures. KLR is a punching bag cause of his own actions and statements. If he were to back it up, no one would raise their eyebrows.

Bevab

Staff Member
Well, if the captain states before the game they are going to play fearlessly and end up gifting away the game, you don't expect the owner to simply sit pretty, do you?

SRH, Punjab,Delhi owners have been vocal in the past regarding their team's failures. KLR is a punching bag cause of his own actions and statements. If he were to back it up, no one would raise their eyebrows.

Again, none of them have walked out on the field after a game and berated their own captain in full view of everyone and live TV.

I don’t really remember any of those team owners being particularly vocal in the past either (would like to see the examples of such incidents that you’re pointing out) and it’s not a coincidence that two of the three teams you’ve listed haven’t won anything after fifteen seasons of the IPL. I would daresay that the reason Punjab have been playing better in recent times is partly because they’ve started introducing more professionalism into their setup and Delhi have done the same ever since the Jindals became joint owners.

This is the equivalent of the chairman of a company walking down to the common office workspace and berating a team lead in full view for everyone else to see with there being multiple screens for other members of the same company in other offices watching it go down live. Not the most unusual thing that could happen in an Indian work environment but it’s completely unprofessional and everyone would agree that the chairman was being an absolute tool and side with the bloke being berated. Yet somehow KLR is the one receiving further shade in here when even r/cricket has unanimous support for him despite hating the man?

KL could have given us the T20 version of what Gavaskar showed in India’s first WC game and that still doesn’t justify what happened to him. If anyone else was in his shoes I’m completely sure you would be siding with them (unless you’re the chairman in my previous analogy).

There’s a reason why most professional sports organisations don’t really have owners interacting directly with the players on a regular basis even behind closed doors unless it’s one of the start/end of the season events or a complete crisis event, their first point of contact is with the sporting director or an equivalent and then it’s with the team’s manager or coach.

If Goenka was unhappy with the team’s performance (which is completely justifiable) then the first step he would ideally do is to schedule a meeting for the next day with the team’s manager Pyne, the coach Langer and the director MSK Prasad and discuss what went wrong yesterday, voice out his thoughts (I’m willing to bet he isn’t going to be as argumentative when he’s up against Langer :lol) and then work on what needs to be done next; if that involves instructing KL to be more media savvy or be more aggressive personally (something that he was doing in the last few games to be fair to him) then he can communicate that here to the staff who can put it across to KL.

But I suppose that’s too much maturity and professionalism to expect out of someone who has renamed three sports teams that I know of after his initials, credits wins to superstitions and higher beliefs whilst putting down the losses to individuals of his team and has a history of doing such clownish acts (he had a similar argument with Gauti on the field last season and I wouldn’t be surprised if amongst other things that influenced the latter to go back to KKR).

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Sorry, but thats the reality of franchisee based games. If it hasnt happened in this manner until now, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Owners are looking at returns and are willing to be unpopular if thats the case. I would side with Goenka/any other owner any day. Afterall they are paying big bucks for absolutely trash performances.

Bevab

Staff Member
Sorry, but thats the reality of franchisee based games. If it hasnt happened in this manner until now, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Owners are looking at returns and are willing to be unpopular if thats the case. I would side with Goenka/any other owner any day. Afterall they are paying big bucks for absolutely trash performances.

How is it the reality when there’s almost zero instances of it happening? You’ve not pointed out an instance or incident like this happening previously either so where is the evidence of owners looking at returns and being unpopular?

Yet again, your boss paying your salary doesn’t mean they get to treat you terribly despite that being the norm in an Indian context more often than not. Even by our country’s standards Goenka’s actions were unprecedented. If you’re siding with them/relating to them then you may well be the boss in the analogy I provided. :p

Bevab

Staff Member
Frankly, this comment from r/cricket sums up my thoughts perfectly.

IMG_3649.jpeg

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Sorry, out in the open publicly is no place to serve a dressing down (event if it's absolutely needed) no matter what the pecking order is. Do it privately if you must. I felt sorry for KLR in this instance. It looked brutal on screen.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Frankly, this comment from r/cricket sums up my thoughts perfectly.

View attachment 294198
The analogy is wrong here. Company MDs can ot be compared to Team owners at all. Preity Zinta did something similar with Bangar a few years ago, not one batted and eyelid then. Just cause KLR is somewhat famous, doesn't give the right to the media to be in favour of him.
If you’re siding with them/relating to them then you may well be the boss in the analogy I provided. :p
:laughter::laughter::laughter:

Last edited:

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
They took more time for a wide DRS call in which they showed the wrong highlight anyway than they took for the dismissal.

Between yesterday’s match and some odd behaviour I noticed whilst watching games in the stadium… it wouldn’t surprise me if spot fixing is still a thing in the IPL.
Have you heard about this?

Fake IPL

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Maybe KL Rahul is heartbroken for not getting picked in India world cup squad
Making flat tracks look like pitches unsuitable for batting no wonder he was dropped.

Twitter is abuzz with rumours of KLR quitting LSG and captaincy. Probably he should, before they kick him out.

Users who are viewing this thread