Random Thoughts

As bad as Americans are with celebs you Poms are way worse with royalty. Can't go to an English media source without being overwhelmed by Prince Down Syndrome and his engagement.

I'll never understand how such a civilized and modern society can still have such a massive symbol of feudalism and oppression running, let alone being funded by tax dollars.

I think most people are ambivalent; it's just that the media stirs it up. I'm quite happy to have monarchy as a niche tourist-inducing industry in the short term but once Elizabeth dies I'd be happy enough to see it abolished.
At minimum the civil list needs to be closed down and royals should be self-financing.

I'll never understand how such a civilized and modern society can still have such a massive symbol of feudalism and oppression running, let alone being funded by tax dollars.

They pay for themselves really. Sources believe that the wedding alone with give the country's economy a 700 million to 1 billion boost.

As bad as Americans are with celebs you Poms are way worse with royalty. Can't go to an English media source without being overwhelmed by Prince Down Syndrome and his engagement.

This coming from a modern America that still carries the death penalty (abolished by all major European countries) in certain states?

Irony is that all tourists, ESPECIALLY you yanks come over and love royalty. Lots of Americans will be watching the ceremony and buying overpriced memorabilia.

I like it because were likely to have an extra bank holiday! :D

It costs the tax payer 69p each to keep the Royals. They are great ambassadors and bring in a loads of tourists. William seems like a nice guy and he's had to live with the media dragging up his mothers death every week, which he's dealt with brilliantly. I hope he'll be the next King.

themuel1 added 8 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Doesn't that mean he does unmentionable things to exhaust pipes?

TBH, I think he's more likely to use the gear stick......

Last edited:
Don't see the point of them. Yes, they bring in money from tourism, but that's worth less than the principle of living within a Monarchy. They are symbols of the horrible class divide that exists within the UK and I really do wish we'd abolish them. But if the Aussies refused to kick her out, what chance have we got?

Don't see the point of them. Yes, they bring in money from tourism, but that's worth less than the principle of living within a Monarchy. They are symbols of the horrible class divide that exists within the UK and I really do wish we'd abolish them. But if the Aussies refused to kick her out, what chance have we got?

It makes no difference to our daily lives. There many other issues that need sorting in this country.

Classes aren't the problem. Cultures are.

I don't see how in the 21st century anyone should be born into "royalty"

maybe in backwards countries where the people are too stupid for democracy they need a dictator, but in any civilized country there is no need for royalty. Tourism or not, these people are no more special than you and I and they don't deserve the privileged lives they have just for being born into the right family.

I spose being brought up in an American political environment, I will always hate the concept of Royalty.

I don't see how in the 21st century anyone should be born into "royalty"

maybe in backwards countries where the people are too stupid for democracy they need a dictator, but in any civilized country there is no need for royalty. Tourism or not, these people are no more special than you and I and they don't deserve the privileged lives they have just for being born into the right family.

I spose being brought up in an American political environment, I will always hate the concept of Royalty.

The royal family have no power though. That's the difference. 200 years ago they did. It's all democratic here though.

It's a part of Britain's identity. An identity we are losing because people don't like offending other cultures and nationalities in our own country and so we are changing for them.

As for being born into privilege? Having millions of foreigners visit your house each year. Having everything you do under scrutiny? Being exposed to a media dragging up your mums death?

That's not a privilege.

I'd rather have my life than there's. The wealth means nothing to me.

I know we've discussed it before. But I don't believe Americans are in a position to lecture anyone about "civilised countries."

Being born into royalty and wealth is privileged to me. We are going to have to agree to disagree.

As for it being part of your culture, slavery was part of ours but we got rid of it.

Being born into royalty and wealth is privileged to me. We are going to have to agree to disagree.

Thats life though. Look at Paris Hilton, I don't hear people calling for inheritance to be done away with.

As for it being part of your culture, slavery was part of ours but we got rid of it.

Comparing slavery to our royal family. That's intelligent.

I guess privilege depends on what's most important to you in life.

Comparing my criticism of having royals to the death penalty is in the same boat.

Mark added 1 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Thats life though. Look at Paris Hilton, I don't hear people calling for inheritance to be done away with.

Paris HIltons family did not make their fortunes by taxing people, and they were not given wealth for simply being born Hiltons.

Comparing my criticism of having royals to the death penalty is in the same boat.

No, it's not. Your point was that a civilised country shouldn't have a royal family. My point back was that a civilised country shouldn't have a death penalty (inferring Americans are in no position to criticise other nations about degrees of "civilisation."

Your slavery point was drawing the comparison that the US getting rid of slavery would be like us getting rid of the Royal family, which is a ridiculous and fairly offensive point.

Nations who live in glass houses.....

themuel1 added 0 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

and they were not given wealth for simply being born Hiltons.

She was.....

Users who are viewing this thread