Draft: The RNG Draft: Oops, All ODIs!

Review Time

@ddrap14

:up: Strong batting, which isn't super common this draft; Saud-Rizwan-Bell-Reed is a potent top order, especially.
:up: Several spin options can't hurt us on turning wickets.
:down: What might is that our third quick is John R. Reid, who's more naturally a slow bowler anyway.

@Verified Enigma
:up: Four of the all-time greats (Sutcliffe, Sachin, Bedi, Shoaib) isn't a bad base to build around.
:up: Six solid bowling options, with three pace and three spin.
:down: Almost no batting from #6.

@ahmedleo414
:up: Charlie Griffith and Curtly Ambrose would destroy opposing top orders, and the third WI pacer - Dwayne Bravo - is good for closing out an innings.
:up: All-rounders make the side deep in both aspects of the game.
:down: As is the wont of this draft, batting - Monank Patel at #3 is necessary (WK) but drags down the ceiling of the side.

@Ed Smith
:up: Even if ten overs have to be bowled by Mahuru Dai, the other 40 make up for those - Warne, Bumrah and Walsh are all constant threats.
:up: Adam Gilchrist is the best keeper in this draft by miles, and has quite an argument for best opener too.
:down: This side could be bowled out for under 100 if he and Kanhai fail.

@Naman7
:up: 1-5 are probably the best in the competition; if they aren't, only Parth's is better.
:up: Five legit bowling options.
:down: Five legit tailenders.

@CerealKiller
NOTE FOR CK AND OTHERS - I discovered Courtney Walsh was taken by two teams only post-draft. I believe CK picked him latest, therefore I've replaced him with a like-for-like bowling replacement (who's actually slightly better with the bat) - Heath Streak.
:up: Streak and Malinga is going to cause pain with the new ball.
:up: Eight bowling options makes up for a slight lack in quality elsewhere.
:down: Batting. All around this time.

@Aislabie
:up: Batting is, shockingly, a strength for Aislabie's team - having that top four helps, but they also bat to 9
:up: Seven legit bowling options (Hammond and Border were quite underrated) and Basil Hameed if absolutely necessary
:down: But the best is probably Daryl Tuffey, and that doesn't bode well for taking wickets

@Aravind.
:up: Lance Klusener, the most destructive player in the world in the late 90s.
:up: Ravi Ashwin, the most destructive player in the world to Australians.
:down: Feels like a great 8-a-side team, but there's three others on the end of that lineup I feel won't contribute with bat or ball, which is a huge issue (albeit not one Aravind could have done much about)

@liveinasociety
:up: Dennis Lillee is a strike bowler, and Billy Bates should be very good in short form too.
:up: Syd Barnes, assuming the team can handle his personality, will carve up opposing attacks.
:down: Spots 3-8, maybe aside from Burge, all feel either merely ok or out of place.

@Till Valhalla
:up: Aubrey Faulkner. Jacques Kallis wasn't available for anyone to select, so Faulkner is the best all-rounder here.
:up: While it might be a little too balanced to spin (as mine was), the attack is going to get wickets.
:down: Outside of Faulkner, I have little to no faith in the middle order.

So yeah, all I can say is RNG really likes bowlers when it comes to ODIs. I've not got the time to rank everyone, and I think given this might have been the most challenging RNG yet, everyone did really well, but if I had to pick a winner if they all played, I'd probably place my money on Team Ahmed - it doesn't have the best bowling (Ed) or best top/middle order batting (Naman), but it's got high-quality depth in both areas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a final treat: @Aislabie provided me with a complete redraft of his team. Here it is:
Pool 1
:aus: :bat: Adam Voges
:nzf: :ar: Giff Vivian
:eng: :bwl: Bill Voce

Pool 2
:eng: :bat: Wally Hammond

Pool 3
:aus: :bat: Allan Border

Pool 4
:eng: :bwl: Willis Cuttell
:wi: :ar: Oscar da Costa
:ind: :wk: Vijay Dahiya

Pool 5
:saf: :ar: Brian McMillan

Pool 6
:eng: :wk: Sam Billings
:ind: :ar: Roger Binny
:ind: :ar: Stuart Binny
:eng: :bwl: Jack Birkenshaw

Pool 7
:pak: :bwl: Shakeel Ahmed
:ban: :bat: Shamim Hossain

Pool 8
:sri: :ar: Upul Chandana
:wi: :bat: Shivnarine Chanderpaul
:wi: :bat: Tagenarine Chanderpaul
:sri: :wk: Dinesh Chandimal
:ind: :bwl: Bhagwath Chandrasekhar

Pool 9
:wi: :ar: Carl Tuckett
:saf: :bwl: Lindsay Tuckett
:eng: :bwl: Alex Tudor
:nzf: :bwl: Daryl Tuffey
:eng: :bwl: Phil Tufnell

Pool 10
:eng: :bat: Vic Barton
:ber: :wk: Okera Bascome
:ber: :ar: Onias Bascome
:uae: :ar: Basil Hameed

Pool 11
:wi: :ar: Romario Shepherd
:eng: :bat: David Sheppard
:saf: :wk: Percy Sherwell

So my selection policy will be to pick the best players available first and then fill out my team as best I can according to roles. I will also lean slightly to players who have actually played white-ball cricket where appropriate.

First pick: Wally Hammond (2) - Best batter here.
Second pick: Allan Border (3) - Second-best batter here.
Third pick: Brian McMillan (5) - Perfect all-rounder for my team.
Fourth pick: Adam Voges (1) - Proven all-format batter.
Fifth pick: Percy Sherwell (11) - Best gloveman available, capable batter.
Sixth pick: Upul Chandana (8) - Chandrasekhar was good, but Chandana is such a proven ODI performer that I have to pick him.
Seventh pick: Daryl Tuffey (9) - I do need a proven international-quality quick bowler in my team.
Eighth pick: Stuart Binny (6) - A better batter than his dad, and probably better for the balance of my team.
Ninth pick: Shamim Hossain (7) - His first-class average is extremely average, but has the game to be a good powerplay hitter.
Tenth pick: Basil Hameed (10) - Kind of makes the team by default from his pool doesn't he.
Eleventh pick: Willis Cuttell (4) - 792 first-class wickets at 19.59 is a very handy addition to my spin attack. Can bat.

1. :aus: :bat: Allan Border
2. :eng: :bat: Wally Hammond
3. :ban: :bat: Shamim Hossain
4. :aus: :bat: Adam Voges
5. :saf: :ar: Brian McMillan
6. :ind: :ar: Stuart Binny
7. :uae: :ar: Basil Hameed
8. :saf: :wk: Percy Sherwell
9. :sri: :ar: Upul Chandana
10. :eng: :bwl: Willis Cuttell
11. :nzf: :bwl: Daryl Tuffey

Hindsight really does help one out.

Unluckiest draft for me so far.

@Till Valhalla
:up: Aubrey Faulkner. Jacques Kallis wasn't available for anyone to select, so Faulkner is the best all-rounder here.
:up: While it might be a little too balanced to spin (as mine was), the attack is going to get wickets.
:down: Outside of Faulkner, I have little to no faith in the middle order.
I have Venugopal Rao I win.

Users who are viewing this thread