The state of off-spin bowling/suspect actions/doosra bowlers worldwide

I've written an article on this very topic.

suspect bowling actions, most of them "mystery" off-spinners seeking to bowl a doosra, or just to give it a bigger rip.

The situation has got out of hand with the increase in Twenty20 cricket being played around the globe. With only 24 balls to out-think a batsman, spin bowlers felt that they would be better to have as many variations at their fingertips as possible. The success of leg-spinners in the format has borne this theory out; a quick look at the likes of Rahul Sharma, Karn Sharma, Pravin Tambe and Amit Mishra's IPL careers shows clearly that it benefits a spinner to be able to spin it both ways with little change in their bowling action.

It's only natural that off-spinners would want to be able to do the same. Their version of the googly, the doosra, was invented and perfected by Saqlain Mushtaq, and has gradually spread around the cricketing world. I personally have never seen a bowler bowl a doosra (which is essentially an off-break action with the back of the hand facing the batsman) without bending the elbow. It simply isn't possible to flex the wrist in that position without flexing the elbow as well.

Continued at the link above.

Can anyone explain me the concept of 15 degree ?
What is the significance of 15 here ? I mean that how did the ICC calculate the number '15' ?

What is the significance of 15 here ? I mean that how did the ICC calculate the number '15' ?
The scientists reckoned that it's what the naked eye could pick up.

This basically means that if they look like they're chucking, they're chucking 99% of the time.

In the final phase of the action, before the ball is bowled, its about how much the bowler's elbow bends before he straightens it again to bowl. Once the bowler gets his bowling arm above his shoulder in the final phase of his action, to bowl, his elbow cannot bend more than 15 degrees.

540ec32214b1a.jpg

In the pic above, the bend in the elbow (in the final phase) is creating an angle of more than 15 degrees and is thus illegal.

article-2088029-0F81192D00000578-760_468x422.jpg

Basically for it to be a legal delivery, in the final phase of his bowling action with Ajmal's elbow where it is in the pic, the palm of his hand must never go beyond the black dotted line. That is an angle (in green) of the permissible 15 degrees. However according to this pic, with elbow being where it is, the palm goes back upto as much as the white line (right), and the angle created (in red) is beyond the permissible 15 degrees.

bowling-action-banned2_091014014909.jpg

This pic explains it really well. With Ashwin, the bend is at point 'A' and release at point 'B'. Thus the angle (simple geometry), that is made between points A and B is less than 15 degrees. Legal Delivery

Comparatively, Ajmal's bend at the point of delivery goes much further back to A, and thus when it straightens to B, the angle created is much bigger and more than the 15 degrees allowed.

As for why 15 degrees and not 17 degrees and not 10 degrees ... well there is no key reason apart from the fact that there is where the ICC draws the line. It is not possible to bowl with a totally straight arm, and at the same time bending the arm too much gives the bowler room to do things, that the ICC doesn't want bowlers to have.

So a line has to be drawn and ICC in its wisdom chooses to draw it at 15 degress. No doubt probably some reasearch has gone into it, that helped ICC say that after 15 degrees is pushing it.

I see a lot of similarity to Saqlin's action. Especially when he is about to throw the ball, his action looks very similar to the one that Saqlin bowled with.

Last edited:
Ye they got to make it public....but ha it would be lovely joke if the UWA accusations had any truth to it.

Read a bit of it, well read is a wrong word, glanced over it. The important bit I picked up was that there is no consistency. The decision on when the trigger starts is vital, and a delay of as little of 0.004 seconds makes all the difference, between Ajmal being alright in 2009 and 45 degrees (3 times illegal), now.

The thing is no one is sure where the trigger should ideally start. So its all a great little mess in short :) Well done ICC

I too have the same feeling while ajmal was surely chucking, you cant be sure in mild cases, or say narine gets reported of a higher angle etc At the same time i feel UWA are just really pissed that icc has moved forward without them and are just playing it out for publicity and bad PR.

Users who are viewing this thread