2010 World Cup to be seeded - Sepp Blatter

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has announced that the eight teams entering the UEFA World Cup Qualifying play-offs for World Cup 2010 will be seeded.

The eight best runner-ups from Europe's nine groups will be divided into two sets, based on the FIFA rankings system, and each will face a team from the opposing side of the draw.

"We have decided on seeding the teams into two groups of four, taking the FIFA world rankings into account, with the top four in one pot and the others in another pot," Blatter was quoted as saying after a FIFA executive committee meeting.

"There will be a separate draw to decide home and away," he added, speaking of where the first and second legs will be played.

Big teams such as France, Portugal, Russia and Czech Republic are all in danger of missing out on the finals but will be boosted by the seeding system, which could offer an escape route should they all finish second place in their respective groups.

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sweden, Ireland and Norway will be a lot less happy with FIFA's decision though.

In response, this is what the Ireland coach and Shay Given had to say:
Ireland coach Giovanni Trapattoni has blasted FIFA's decision to seed the World Cup playoffs, describing it as "killing football", while goalkeeper Shay Given has called the move "disgusting".

On Saturday night Italy will face the Republic of Ireland in Dublin for a decisive World Cup qualifying match. The Azzurri could seal qualification with a draw, while for Ireland the most likely outcome is a second-place finish in the group.

This would force them to enter the play-offs, which could turn out to be dangerous for Trapattoni's team, as FIFA president Joseph Blatter has recently announced that the play-offs will be seeded according to the various teams' current FIFA rankings.

This new system would prevent big teams like Germany, France, and Russia meeting each other, while a team like Ireland would almost certainly meet a prestigious national side.

"This solution is a bit like killing football," said Trapattoni, as quoted by Goal.com Italia. "A few years ago the big European clubs thought about creating a 'SuperLeague', but they abandoned the idea because they saw the risks of this. This is a similar solution.

"Every national team has the same rights, and making a seeded draw goes against this principle. But of course, the business of the big teams controls everything."

Meanwhile, goalkeeper Shay Given said, "It's incredible that FIFA has taken a decision like this precisely when the bigger teams are struggling to qualify. It's actually disgusting."

Ireland have a five-point lead over third-placed Bulgaria in Group 8, but they're four points behind leaders Italy, making a first-place finish unlikely with just two games to go.

To be honest, I can see where the Irish lads are coming from. This is just a horrible decision. From a lower nations point of view (Eg. Australia, Irelad, Bosnia, Sweden, etc.) I'd be extremely pissed off. Its just favouring the top dog in the FIFA rankings. Sure in some way the 'top dogs' deserve to have that sort of scapegoat route since they earned their Top 10 or so spot, but their just dogging other the other nations.

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
This is from the same guy that said Australia weren't as good as their ranking, before getting thrashed 3-0 in dublin. :doh

The seeds are good for us, we are ranked 13th. :D

Krypta

School Cricketer
"Every national team has the same rights, and making a seeded draw goes against this principle. But of course, the business of the big teams controls everything."

Teams are already seeded for the groups, so it's hardly a new system.

If Ireland don't think they are capable of beating Russia or France then why bother competing at all?

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
Since when were the FIFA rankings reliable anyway? I don't rate them at all personally so even without the problems this causes smaller nations (which I agree with - they all finished second in their groups after all, so they should be treated equally) I would still oppose this.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
FIFA have their wish. I hope they, France, Thierry Henry and Michel Platini all burn in hell. The Irish were robbed tonight and FIFA's official match report sickens me;

"Five minutes later, France skipper Thierry Henry won the match for the hosts when his angled pass amid a goalmouth scramble was met by the head of Wiliam Gallas."

I don't even like Ireland, I just fliping hate France.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I'm sorry, cause I know there are lots of people from the nations I am about to target here. But the FIFA qualification process is a joke. Way to many asian and american sides.

south america and europe are the nations that hold the game up, africa have a claim to that too. The massive bulk of the teams should be from those countries, with anyone else having to play in play-offs (pretty much like the rugby and cricket world cups)

but new zealand, Korea DPR, Honduras?????

well, I may be from a rubbish country that hasn't qualified for the world cup in years but if you guys want to play us any time, you're welcome and I'm pretty sure we'll put about 20 goals past you.

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Those teams deserve it. The world cup is the best teams of the world not the best teams in the world. If they can't make it through their group then they don't deserve to be there anyway.

Last edited:

vaibhav mehta

Chairman of Selectors
We were robbed by referee yesterday. Seriously, referee has misjudged a tackle and has given wrong yellow card on two occasions to same player. Handanovic should have been sent off straight a way. Anyway I can not believe that a crap American side like Paraguay are going to play in World cup and Russia would not.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Henry does a Hand of God to take France to the World Cup. I feel Ireland deserved it and this was their best chance to make it to the World Cup. Feeling sorry for the Irish. :(

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Someone should tell Henry he's playing soccer not Gaelic football.

EDIT: Oh the irony of it.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
It's heartbreaking for the losing side to do so in that manner. Henry was a great ambassador of the game when at Arsenal, but when he joined Barca he inherited their characteristics, which was on full show last night. Its disgusting but 9 out of 10 players would have done that I am sure.

And its true the 32 teams in the WC are never the best 32 in the world. But you can't have only teams from Europe and South America playing even if the best 32 are from these regions.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
FIFA have their wish. I hope they, France, Thierry Henry and Michel Platini all burn in hell. The Irish were robbed tonight and FIFA's official match report sickens me;

"Five minutes later, France skipper Thierry Henry won the match for the hosts when his angled pass amid a goalmouth scramble was met by the head of Wiliam Gallas."

I don't even like Ireland, I just fliping hate France.

Bloody hell, that was the official Fifa report??

Since when has a 'pass' been made via a hand, Fifa? Get lost, the lot of you!

None of the 'unseeded' teams made it through, did they? Fifa have who they want in the World Cup. I just hope France get severely mullered and go out in the group stages.

PhilD123

International Coach
It's heartbreaking for the losing side to do so in that manner. Henry was a great ambassador of the game when at Arsenal, but when he joined Barca he inherited their characteristics, which was on full show last night. Its disgusting but 9 out of 10 players would have done that I am sure.

And its true the 32 teams in the WC are never the best 32 in the world. But you can't have only teams from Europe and South America playing even if the best 32 are from these regions.
:D Anything for a dig at Barca.

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
The FAI are asking for the play off to be replayed.

Users who are viewing this thread